    I would really appreciate.

    Cheers,
    Evans
    Evans Leung, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Evans Leung

    Bok Guest

    Evans Leung wrote:
    > I have a WinXP Pro laptop at work experiencing some network problems, the
    > machine can logon to the domain, run our CRM software, print / browse the
    > internet fine, receive and send emails ok.
    >
    > BUT when I try to ping the machine, it doesn't respond to ping, also the
    > remote desktop doesn't work. SP2 was installed so I checked the firewall
    > settings, it was on so i turned it off, still no luck.

    You need to provide more information. To start with:

    Where in the network is the machine that you are trying to ping your
    laptop from or connect to your laptop with remote desktop? The other
    device isn't outside the corporate firewall by any chance?

    It might help to provide the IP address of your laptop and the IP
    address of the device you are using to ping the laptop. We can then take
    a guess at the network topology and go from there.
    Bok, Feb 28, 2005

  3. Evans Leung

    Guest

    > You need to provide more information. To start with:
    > Where in the network is the machine that you are trying to ping your
    > laptop from or connect to your laptop with remote desktop? The other
    > device isn't outside the corporate firewall by any chance?

    all the other desktops in the same domain, within the firewall.

    > It might help to provide the IP address of your laptop and the IP
    > address of the device you are using to ping the laptop. We can then

    take
    > a guess at the network topology and go from there.

    10.9.100.x is the IP range that we are using here.

    Evans
    , Feb 28, 2005
  4. Evans Leung

    Daniel Guest

    Evans Leung wrote:

    > BUT when I try to ping the machine, it doesn't respond to ping, also the
    > remote desktop doesn't work. SP2 was installed so I checked the firewall
    > settings, it was on so i turned it off, still no luck.

    Check if ICS is enabled on the laptop and disable it if it is, sounds
    like a similar problem we once had.

    As for the pings not working... strange. Are your ipconfig settings
    consistent with the subnet your on?
    Daniel, Feb 28, 2005
  5. Evans Leung

    Guest

    ICS is not enabled and the ipconfig is consistent with others in the
    subnet (we use DHCP).

    One other strange thing is the laptop can't VPN into our Microsoft ISA
    server (either from jetstream or dialup).
    , Feb 28, 2005
  6. Evans Leung

    Daniel Guest

    wrote:
    > ICS is not enabled and the ipconfig is consistent with others in the
    > subnet (we use DHCP).
    >
    > One other strange thing is the laptop can't VPN into our Microsoft ISA
    > server (either from jetstream or dialup).

    Very odd.

    So when you ping the the laptop IP address (not the hostname), it
    doesn't come back?

    If not, then it could be anything. When we upgraded our servers a while
    back, everyone with Windows who was using a Realtek card had to get the
    latest driver (but, everyone else who was on Linux, or BSD was fine).

    Can you run tracepath (or similar Windows equivalent, I guess traceroute
    would be the closest) from another host to your laptop.

    Apart from that I have no idea?

    If you can get to your laptop, but still can't ping, try running nmap on
    it to see what ports are open.
    Daniel, Feb 28, 2005
  7. In article <>, says...
    > I have a WinXP Pro laptop at work experiencing some network problems, the
    > machine can logon to the domain, run our CRM software, print / browse the
    > internet fine, receive and send emails ok.
    >
    > BUT when I try to ping the machine, it doesn't respond to ping, also the
    > remote desktop doesn't work. SP2 was installed so I checked the firewall
    > settings, it was on so i turned it off, still no luck.
    >
    > tried Microsoft support website, reset the tcp/ip stack, still no luck,
    > tried delete the network adaptor and add it back, no luck, and there are no
    > updated drivers (the laptop is using a Inter Pro / 100m mobile connection).
    >
    > I don't think it's the firewall problem as i couldn't find any entries in
    > the firewall log (c:\windows\pfirewall.log), if anyone could shed some light
    > I would really appreciate.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Evans

    You could try turning the security centre service off entirely. I had
    the problem when I installed SP2, and configured the firewall to OFF, it
    still interfered with my 3rd party firewall regardless and blocked part
    of the lan traffic. After I turned if off at the service level, things
    started working again.

    Might not be your problem, but I h.t.h.

    -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Feb 28, 2005
  8. Evans Leung

    Guest

    tried but the laptop being on a domain the security center service is
    not started.

    thanks for the tips though.

    Evans
    , Feb 28, 2005
  9. Evans Leung

    SchoolTech Guest

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on 28 Feb 2005 14:13:00 -0800, <> says...
    > tried but the laptop being on a domain the security center service is
    > not started.

    There should still be a Security Center icon in the Control Panel with
    the options to disable its various components.

    If you are on a domain, you don't get the popup warnings unless a certain
    setting in Group Policy is enabled. But you can still enable and disable
    the various parts of the Security Center.
    SchoolTech, Mar 1, 2005
  10. Evans Leung

    Bok Guest

    Evans Leung wrote:
    > I have a WinXP Pro laptop at work experiencing some network problems, the
    > machine can logon to the domain, run our CRM software, print / browse the
    > internet fine, receive and send emails ok.
    >
    > BUT when I try to ping the machine, it doesn't respond to ping, also the
    > remote desktop doesn't work.

    Remote desktop from or to your laptop?

    I'll assume to your laptop. Have you enabled Remote Desktop connections
    on the System Properties remote tab?

    Assuming you have, type netstat -a from a command prompt. There should
    be a listen on port 3389, which is the one used by the RDP protocol.

    > I don't think it's the firewall problem as i couldn't find any entries in
    > the firewall log (c:\windows\pfirewall.log), if anyone could shed some light
    > I would really appreciate.

    Issue the following commands from a cmd prompt:
    netsh firewall show state
    netsh firewall show icmpsetting

    To ensure your firewall isn't blocking pings.
    Bok, Mar 1, 2005
  11. Evans Leung

    Guest

    netsh firewall show state displays the following lines:

    Firewall status:
    Profile = Domain
    Operational mode = Disable
    Exception mode = Enable
    Multicast/broadcast response mode = Enable
    Notification mode = Enable
    Group policy version = None
    Remote admin mode = Disable

    Ports currently open on all network interfaces:
    Port Protocol Version Program
    137 UDP IPv4 (null)
    139 TCP IPv4 (null)
    138 UDP IPv4 (null)
    3389 TCP IPv4 (null)
    445 TCP IPv4 (null)

    netsh firewall show icmpsetting displays a blank screen, is that
    normal?

    Evans
    , Mar 2, 2005
  12. Evans Leung

    Bok Guest

    wrote:
    > netsh firewall show state displays the following lines:

    > Firewall status:
    > Operational mode = Disable
    >
    > Ports currently open on all network interfaces:
    > Port Protocol Version Program
    > 137 UDP IPv4 (null)
    > 139 TCP IPv4 (null)
    > 138 UDP IPv4 (null)
    > 3389 TCP IPv4 (null)
    > 445 TCP IPv4 (null)

    Doesn't look like your firewall is the issue. Operational mode = disable
    means it's disabled for all interfaces. Also there is an explicit rule
    to open the RDP port 3389, which would be effective if the firewal was
    enabled; this also suggests you have enabled Remote Desktop access.

    Did you verify there is a TCP port 3389 in a listen state using netstat -a?

    > netsh firewall show icmpsetting displays a blank screen, is that
    > normal?

    Yes, that's normal if you don't have any rules configured for the ICMP
    protocol.

    What's the response you get when the ping fails?

    Is it 'request timed out', 'destination host unreachable' or something
    else?

    Another thing you might like to try:
    from the command line on a machine your pinging from, type

    arp -a

    Check there is an entry for your laptop's IP address.
    Bok, Mar 2, 2005