WinXp MCE (Pro) SP2 (32bit OS) and Max Recognized Memory

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by rkent57, Feb 17, 2008.

  1. rkent57

    rkent57

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    I've yet to find a sound answer on this as there are several views but here it goes...

    I have a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop running at 3.4ghz with WinXP MCE (Pro)SP2 (32 bit OS) with 4gb of ram installed (this system also has "HT" meaning hyper threading technology since it's not a dual core system) however...the CMOS on boot (F2) and also System info under programs/accessories both show 4gb's there...but if I right click on the desktop icon for "My Comp" and select properties, the system only shows 2.25gb of physical ram installed.

    I've read where WinXP Pro can recognize up to 4gb but may only show 3.5 under the My Comp/properties area. So why am I only showing 2.5?

    I've tried to change the page-file settings to diffrent sizes and also setting the page-file to none but none of these settings have made any difference after a re-boot as to what is shown under the "My Comp/properties".

    Lastely, I was told by a tech rep from "crucial memory" that when WinXP SP3 gets released, this issue is suppose to fix this memory issue...I downloaded a beta version of SP3 and after installing it...STILL NO DIFFERENCE to the 2.25gb listed!

    Has anyone heard anything about SP3 addressing this?

    Has anyone found a way to get this OS to see more than 2.5gb installed?

    Can anyone suggest a fix to get me up to at least 3.0 or 3.5? Hate having and extra 2gb of ram installed that is not being used!

    rkent57, Feb 17, 2008

  2. rkent57

    emeke4u2004@yahoo.com

    Joined: