    icons set to appear permanently so i don't have to log myself off then on?
    I've poked about in the control panel but can't spot anything obvious? Any
    help would be appreciated.
    Dodgy Dave, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Dodgy Dave

    Flying Rat Guest

    Dodgy Dave said this...
    > I've just installed WinXP. When my pc boots up the only icon in the taskbar
    > next to the clock is ZoneAlarm. I know i should have several more icons in
    > this area. If i log myself off then click to re-log myself on only then does
    > it show the other icons for the programs i have running (AVG/DVD prog/volume
    > control/safely remove hardware icons). Is there any way i can have these
    > icons set to appear permanently so i don't have to log myself off then on?
    > I've poked about in the control panel but can't spot anything obvious? Any
    > help would be appreciated.

    right click on the area

    then when the screen appears, click customise

    you can then change the various settings for the icons to show
    permanently if desired

    FR
    --
    www.flyingrat.net
    Flying Rat, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Dodgy Dave

    docmill Guest

    "Dodgy Dave" <> wrote in

    > I've just installed WinXP. When my pc boots up the only icon in the
    > taskbar next to the clock is ZoneAlarm. I know i should have several
    > more icons in this area. If i log myself off then click to re-log myself
    > on only then does it show the other icons for the programs i have
    > running (AVG/DVD prog/volume control/safely remove hardware icons). Is
    > there any way i can have these icons set to appear permanently so i
    > don't have to log myself off then on? I've poked about in the control
    > panel but can't spot anything obvious? Any help would be appreciated.

    Might help-
    http://www.winxpfix.com/page3.htm
    the clean boot

    --
    +++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"
    docmill, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Dodgy Dave

    Patrick Guest

    Dodgy Dave wrote:
    > I've just installed WinXP. When my pc boots up the only icon in the
    > taskbar next to the clock is ZoneAlarm. I know i should have several
    > more icons in this area. If i log myself off then click to re-log
    > myself on only then does it show the other icons for the programs i
    > have running (AVG/DVD prog/volume control/safely remove hardware
    > icons). Is there any way i can have these icons set to appear
    > permanently so i don't have to log myself off then on? I've poked
    > about in the control panel but can't spot anything obvious? Any help
    > would be appreciated.

    Is thiere not [ a round button with a '<' in it ] , if so then click it, the
    rest of the icons should then show (appear), they will then dissapear again
    unless you do something with them.
    i.e. the icons normally only show when they are in recent/current use !

    If above said is not the answer then, right click the 'start' button, click
    'Properties', select 'Taskbar' tab, see at bottom of pane the options
    concerned.
    Patrick, Dec 6, 2003
  5. Dodgy Dave

    Dodgy Dave Guest

    I've just booted up and all of the icons are there
    (volume/avg/zonealarm/safely remove hardware). Don't know what box i've
    checked/unchecked. Some people may be glad that the icons are hidden but i
    just like to know what's running in the background. Thanks for the tips
    everbody - i'll give them a try if the icons disappear.

    Dodgy Dave, Dec 6, 2003