    the same results. How do I get out of this?
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Dec 6, 2004

  2. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:48:36 -0500, JTJersey wrote:

    > I finally broke down and bought WinXP Home Edition (Upgrade) with
    > Service Pack 2. Installing to a clean WD 80Gb harddrive I booted to the
    > installation CD and selected NTFS. After formatting it began installing
    > files. At 100% it started counting down to a reboot telling me to remove
    > any floppy disks from the drive and hit Enter. It reboots and starts
    > the installation from step 1 all over again! I've tried this four times
    > with the same results. How do I get out of this?

    So I've tried this next, in order to protect my existing Win98SE system I
    clone it to the new 80Gb hard drive. Boot to the newly cloned hard drive
    and insert the WinXP CD. Ran the compatibility test and uninstalled the
    programs that it suggested be removed. Rebooted and launched the setup.
    Gets to the point where it has to reboot and when it reboots I'm back at a
    blue colored screen asking me if I want to install Windows XP. I'm back
    to step 1 again! I've installed every version of Windows since 3.0 and a
    dozen variations of Linux and never encountered anything like this. I
    mean, WTF? Any constructive thoughts would be most appreciated.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Dec 7, 2004

  3. JTJersey

    Jerry G. Guest

    Is this the full installation or the upgrade?

    I have had problems with the upgrade on some machines.

    The best way to install XP is to unpartition the disk with the old
    operating system, and start from scratch with the new one. I found this
    especialy so, with the older machines.

    I also found compatibility issues with some of the PIII and older type
    machines when installing XP. Another thing to take care, is that you
    cannot use drivers that worked for the older operating systems, and that
    are not rated for XP. The effect you are having will also occur if you
    try to use many of the older driver versions during the installation.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Dec 7, 2004
  4. JTJersey

    WebWalker Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I finally broke down and bought WinXP Home Edition (Upgrade) with Service
    >Pack 2. Installing to a clean WD 80Gb harddrive I booted to the
    >installation CD and selected NTFS. After formatting it began installing
    >files. At 100% it started counting down to a reboot telling me to remove
    >any floppy disks from the drive and hit Enter. It reboots and starts the
    >installation from step 1 all over again! I've tried this four times with
    >the same results. How do I get out of this?

    When it fully sucess installed the Win XP to your system and reboot.
    If your system appear something like "Press any keys to booting up
    from CD ... ", don't press any keys. Just let the Win XP to boot from
    HD.

    I learn this lesson from the hard way :-(

    --
    WebWalker

    WebWalker, Dec 8, 2004
  5. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:47:20 +0800, WebWalker wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:48:36 -0500, JTJersey
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I finally broke down and bought WinXP Home Edition (Upgrade) with
    >>Service Pack 2. Installing to a clean WD 80Gb harddrive I booted to the
    >>installation CD and selected NTFS. After formatting it began installing
    >>files. At 100% it started counting down to a reboot telling me to remove
    >>any floppy disks from the drive and hit Enter. It reboots and starts
    >>the installation from step 1 all over again! I've tried this four times
    >>with the same results. How do I get out of this?

    > When it fully sucess installed the Win XP to your system and reboot. If
    > your system appear something like "Press any keys to booting up from CD
    > ... ", don't press any keys. Just let the Win XP to boot from HD.
    >
    > I learn this lesson from the hard way :-(

    I've gone as far as completely disabling the CDROM as a boot device in the
    BIOS, then installing XP again. At reboot time it hung at "veryfing dmi
    pool data..." So I stuck in a bootable floppy and typed "sys c:" at the
    A:\> prompt to restore the boot files and the system booted back into
    Win98SE but the XP installation didn't resume. Bringing up the XP install
    CD just started me all over again at step 1! I don't understand why the
    XP install should trash my master boot record. Looks like I'm out $99 +
    tax.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Dec 9, 2004
  6. JTJersey

    WebWalker Guest

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:00:40 -0500, JTJersey
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:47:20 +0800, WebWalker wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:48:36 -0500, JTJersey
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I finally broke down and bought WinXP Home Edition (Upgrade) with
    >>>Service Pack 2. Installing to a clean WD 80Gb harddrive I booted to the
    >>>installation CD and selected NTFS. After formatting it began installing
    >>>files. At 100% it started counting down to a reboot telling me to remove
    >>>any floppy disks from the drive and hit Enter. It reboots and starts
    >>>the installation from step 1 all over again! I've tried this four times
    >>>with the same results. How do I get out of this?

    >> When it fully sucess installed the Win XP to your system and reboot. If
    >> your system appear something like "Press any keys to booting up from CD
    >> ... ", don't press any keys. Just let the Win XP to boot from HD.
    >>
    >> I learn this lesson from the hard way :-(

    >I've gone as far as completely disabling the CDROM as a boot device in the
    >BIOS, then installing XP again. At reboot time it hung at "veryfing dmi
    >pool data..." So I stuck in a bootable floppy and typed "sys c:" at the
    >A:\> prompt to restore the boot files and the system booted back into
    >Win98SE

    Did you said installing WinXP to a "a clean WD 80Gb harddrive"?
    Where is this Win98SE came from ?
    Are you upgrading the your present system Win98 to WinXP?
    I don't really get you.

    --
    WebWalker

    WebWalker, Dec 11, 2004
  7. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    > Did you said installing WinXP to a "a clean WD 80Gb harddrive"?
    > Where is this Win98SE came from ?
    > Are you upgrading the your present system Win98 to WinXP?
    > I don't really get you.

    I initially attempted the installation onto a clean WD 80Gb hdd. That
    failed with the loop back to step 1 problem several times. Then I cloned
    my WD40Gb hdd, which contains the Win98SE system I want to upgrade from,
    onto the WD80Gb hdd. Tried the XP installation and ended up back at step
    one again. So I tried it both ways several times.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Dec 12, 2004
  8. "JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    > > Did you said installing WinXP to a "a clean WD 80Gb harddrive"?
    > > Where is this Win98SE came from ?
    > > Are you upgrading the your present system Win98 to WinXP?
    > > I don't really get you.

    > I initially attempted the installation onto a clean WD 80Gb hdd. That
    > failed with the loop back to step 1 problem several times. Then I cloned
    > my WD40Gb hdd, which contains the Win98SE system I want to upgrade from,
    > onto the WD80Gb hdd. Tried the XP installation and ended up back at step
    > one again. So I tried it both ways several times.
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    Do a search for and download Memtest86 ( http://www.memtest86.com/ ) and run
    it.

    When I tried to do a dual boot install of XP to this box with 98SE on it I
    had a similar experience and had a piece of SDRAM that got along with that
    K7S5A and 98 but not XP.

    Not learning my lesson, when I recently upgraded to an ASROCK K7S8XE+ I did
    the route of putting in the disc before XP could boot to do a repair install
    instead of a fresh install. All sorts of issues nearly like yours started
    happening and I tried all kinds of stuff until I did Memtest and found that
    the brand new stick of DDR that was new and never used till that new board
    was bad right outta the box. I could still boot to the 98 partition and run
    satisfactory just for posting WTF to several newsgroups but it would not run
    XP.

    I have no idea why this is, and really don't care. I just know that I tried,
    just for kicks (after another stick allowed me to repair XP just fine), to
    put the old new stick back in once and booted to the 98 partition and it ran
    fine on 98 still but when I started running more demanding stuff that IE and
    OE like Paint Shop plug-ins it went berserk. XP gave me one blue screen and
    I shut it down before I could bugger anything up. The meathead I bought it
    from gave me some grief, but replaced it anyhow.

    Memtest86 is free and while it takes a fair chunk of time to run, it can't
    hurt anything to try. If I had it happen twice it would seem fairly possible
    for it to happen to others, too.

    Jess Fertudei, Dec 12, 2004
  9. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    > Do a search for and download Memtest86 ( http://www.memtest86.com/ ) and
    > run it.
    >
    > When I tried to do a dual boot install of XP to this box with 98SE on it
    > I had a similar experience and had a piece of SDRAM that got along with
    > that K7S5A and 98 but not XP.
    >
    > Not learning my lesson, when I recently upgraded to an ASROCK K7S8XE+ I
    > did the route of putting in the disc before XP could boot to do a repair
    > install instead of a fresh install. All sorts of issues nearly like
    > yours started happening and I tried all kinds of stuff until I did
    > Memtest and found that the brand new stick of DDR that was new and never
    > used till that new board was bad right outta the box. I could still boot
    > to the 98 partition and run satisfactory just for posting WTF to several
    > newsgroups but it would not run XP.
    >
    > I have no idea why this is, and really don't care. I just know that I
    > tried, just for kicks (after another stick allowed me to repair XP just
    > fine), to put the old new stick back in once and booted to the 98
    > partition and it ran fine on 98 still but when I started running more
    > demanding stuff that IE and OE like Paint Shop plug-ins it went berserk.
    > XP gave me one blue screen and I shut it down before I could bugger
    > anything up. The meathead I bought it from gave me some grief, but
    > replaced it anyhow.
    >
    > Memtest86 is free and while it takes a fair chunk of time to run, it
    > can't hurt anything to try. If I had it happen twice it would seem
    > fairly possible for it to happen to others, too.

    Thanks. I'll check this angle out.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Dec 12, 2004