winxp home prob

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by wayne, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. wayne

    wayne Guest

    Hi

    Normally when i have Big trouble with windows xp i just install XP again
    using the repair
    feature, Most of the time this is good, Fixing any corrupt reg files etc

    But today i came across a machine with xphome installed and it was playing
    up big time
    so off i go, Out with his original xphome cdrom. booted from it and tried to
    do a install using repair feature, But for some reason it didn`t seem to let
    me goto that stage
    it detected the current installation but went onto options for installing
    the OS onto another folder/deleting current files
    which i don`t want to do for driver loss user account loss etc:0(

    Anyone know why this is?
    Could it be the version of windows maybe
    Cause every other time i can use the repair windows option.

    thanks for anyhelp
    wayne, Jul 15, 2003

  2. wayne

    rifleman Guest

    In article <bf0s4u$kt0$>,
    says...
    > Hi
    >
    > Normally when i have Big trouble with windows xp i just install XP again
    > using the repair
    > feature, Most of the time this is good, Fixing any corrupt reg files etc
    >
    > But today i came across a machine with xphome installed and it was playing
    > up big time
    > so off i go, Out with his original xphome cdrom. booted from it and tried to
    > do a install using repair feature, But for some reason it didn`t seem to let
    > me goto that stage
    > it detected the current installation but went onto options for installing
    > the OS onto another folder/deleting current files
    > which i don`t want to do for driver loss user account loss etc:0(
    >
    > Anyone know why this is?
    > Could it be the version of windows maybe
    > Cause every other time i can use the repair windows option.
    >

    > thanks for anyhelp

    Why do you have "big trouble" with XP? What do you mean by "big
    trouble"? I've been running it for nearly a year now with NO trouble at
    all! What was "playing up" on XP Home? Why did you think that a repair
    install was the only solution?
    --
    (I may be wrong...I usually am....)
    Google is your Friend
    rifleman, Jul 15, 2003

  3. wayne

    wayne Guest

    Xp is the better Microsoft OS I must admit
    But a few naughty machines have played up recently

    For example last week after installing the SP1 on a XPhome machine
    During bootup i was greeted to a dull screen stating that the
    windows\system\config
    is corrupt or missing and found out from microsoft that this was due to the
    service pack.

    Another was when windows was fully loaded an error message was reported that
    a executable file was corrupt and windows must shut down.I tried everthing
    and all that worked was to reinstall.

    If you have any good tips on xp recovery instead of an overwrite then please
    share your Ideas

    thanks

    wayne
    wayne, Jul 15, 2003
  4. wayne

    rifleman Guest

    In article <bf0ukq$16t$>,
    says...
    > Xp is the better Microsoft OS I must admit
    > But a few naughty machines have played up recently
    >
    > For example last week after installing the SP1 on a XPhome machine
    > During bootup i was greeted to a dull screen stating that the
    > windows\system\config
    > is corrupt or missing and found out from microsoft that this was due to the
    > service pack.
    >
    > Another was when windows was fully loaded an error message was reported that
    > a executable file was corrupt and windows must shut down.I tried everthing
    > and all that worked was to reinstall.
    >
    > If you have any good tips on xp recovery instead of an overwrite then please
    > share your Ideas
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > wayne

    Well if it's a windows executable, then try just replace it from the CD.
    if an application executable, then re-install the application.
    --
    (I may be wrong...I usually am....)
    Google is your Friend
    rifleman, Jul 15, 2003