WinXP Home : How do I see the rest of my network??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mutley, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    Happy new year,

    My wife just bought a HP Laptop with XP Home (yeah I know.
    Condolences) I have a local home network setup with 2 x Win2K PC, a
    Win98SE email server and her old Win98 laptop.

    I have setup the networking on the new laptop , Email, web , network
    printer etc work Ok but in the Network Neighborhood I can only see the
    local PC. I can ping the other PCs by IP address or by name and they
    can all see the laptop on their network icon.

    I had this problem when I setup one of the Win2k PCs but installing
    Netbui solved it. Netbui is not an option on XPHome.

    The IP address is set manually and the work group is called HOME.

    Any ideas or is Win XP crippled in this aspect??

    TIA

    Mutley, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Mutley

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Mutley <> wrote in

    > Happy new year,
    >
    > My wife just bought a HP Laptop with XP Home (yeah I know.
    > Condolences) I have a local home network setup with 2 x Win2K PC, a
    > Win98SE email server and her old Win98 laptop.
    >
    > I have setup the networking on the new laptop , Email, web , network
    > printer etc work Ok but in the Network Neighborhood I can only see the
    > local PC. I can ping the other PCs by IP address or by name and they
    > can all see the laptop on their network icon.
    >
    > I had this problem when I setup one of the Win2k PCs but installing
    > Netbui solved it. Netbui is not an option on XPHome.
    >
    > The IP address is set manually and the work group is called HOME.
    >
    > Any ideas or is Win XP crippled in this aspect??
    >
    > TIA

    Try adding IP addresses and names to the LMHOSTS file on the winxp
    machine.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Mutley

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:11:11 +1300, Mutley wrote:

    > I had this problem when I setup one of the Win2k PCs but installing Netbui
    > solved it. Netbui is not an option on XPHome.

    Therein lies your problem - and is one of the reasons why people should
    not buy the knobbled version of XP called WindowsXPHome.

    Personally, I think youse should not have bothered getting any new version
    of Windows - given that there are several really good distributions of
    Linux available for the cost of downloading and burning to CD-ROM.

    To use SAMBA you need NETBUI, as NETBUI *IS* Micro$oft's equivalent of
    SAMBA.

    XP-HOME is the wrong version for a person who is wanting to link that box
    to a LAN using SAMBA.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Mutley

    Malcolm Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > Happy new year,
    >
    > My wife just bought a HP Laptop with XP Home (yeah I know.
    > Condolences) I have a local home network setup with 2 x Win2K PC, a
    > Win98SE email server and her old Win98 laptop.
    >
    > I have setup the networking on the new laptop , Email, web , network
    > printer etc work Ok but in the Network Neighborhood I can only see the
    > local PC. I can ping the other PCs by IP address or by name and they
    > can all see the laptop on their network icon.
    >
    > I had this problem when I setup one of the Win2k PCs but installing
    > Netbui solved it. Netbui is not an option on XPHome.
    >
    > The IP address is set manually and the work group is called HOME.
    >
    > Any ideas or is Win XP crippled in this aspect??
    >
    > TIA

    Hi
    Under Local Area Connecion properties, TCP/IP properties, Advanced
    TCP/IP settings on the WINS tab select 'Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP' make
    sure your firewall is up and running externally....

    Cheers
    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Mutley

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:19:36 +1300, Lennier <> wrote:

    >XP-HOME is the wrong version for a person who is wanting to link that box
    >to a LAN using SAMBA.

    He doesn't want to do that.

    Invisible, Jan 4, 2004
  6. Mutley

    harry Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:11:11 +1300, Mutley wrote:
    >
    >> I had this problem when I setup one of the Win2k PCs but installing
    >> Netbui solved it. Netbui is not an option on XPHome.

    > Therein lies your problem - and is one of the reasons why people
    > should not buy the knobbled version of XP called WindowsXPHome.
    >
    > Personally, I think youse should not have bothered getting any new
    > version of Windows - given that there are several really good
    > distributions of Linux available for the cost of downloading and
    > burning to CD-ROM.
    >
    > To use SAMBA you need NETBUI, as NETBUI *IS* Micro$oft's equivalent of
    > SAMBA.
    >
    > XP-HOME is the wrong version for a person who is wanting to link that
    > box to a LAN using SAMBA.
    >
    > Lennier

    Rubbish, I have it working in front of me.
    It peer to peer networks to samba just like any other Windows version.
    It just can't join an NT domain.

    harry, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Mutley

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:27:15 +1300, harry wrote:

    > Rubbish, I have it working in front of me. It peer to peer networks to
    > samba just like any other Windows version. It just can't join an NT
    > domain.

    So what is your problem?

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 4, 2004
  8. Mutley

    harry Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:27:15 +1300, harry wrote:
    >
    >> Rubbish, I have it working in front of me. It peer to peer networks
    >> to samba just like any other Windows version. It just can't join an
    >> NT domain.

    > So what is your problem?
    >
    > Lennier

    Your incorrect information concerning XP Home.
    There is no point you trying to help this person when you clearly don't know
    what XP Home does and doesn't do.
    One Woger is enough

    harry, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Mutley

    Enkidu Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:11:11 +1300, Mutley wrote:
    >
    >> I had this problem when I setup one of the Win2k PCs but installing Netbui
    >> solved it. Netbui is not an option on XPHome.

    >Therein lies your problem - and is one of the reasons why people should
    >not buy the knobbled version of XP called WindowsXPHome.
    >
    >Personally, I think youse should not have bothered getting any new version
    >of Windows - given that there are several really good distributions of
    >Linux available for the cost of downloading and burning to CD-ROM.
    >
    >To use SAMBA you need NETBUI, as NETBUI *IS* Micro$oft's equivalent of
    >SAMBA.

    Rubbish. SAMBA is the OSS equivalent of MS's SMB, not NetBEUI (NetBios
    Extended User Interface).

    --

    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.

    Enkidu, Jan 4, 2004
  10. Mutley

    Max Burke Guest

    > Happy new year,
    > My wife just bought a HP Laptop with XP Home (yeah I know.
    > Condolences) I have a local home network setup with 2 x Win2K PC, a
    > Win98SE email server and her old Win98 laptop.
    > I have setup the networking on the new laptop , Email, web , network
    > printer etc work Ok but in the Network Neighborhood I can only see the
    > local PC. I can ping the other PCs by IP address or by name and they
    > can all see the laptop on their network icon.
    > I had this problem when I setup one of the Win2k PCs but installing
    > Netbui solved it. Netbui is not an option on XPHome.

    Why isn't it an option? Dont you want to install it?

    It isn't automatically installed in XPHE, but it is available to install.

    How to install Netbui in XPHE:

    NetBEUI (NBF) is a non-routable protocol suitable for small networks.
    Support for this protocol in Microsoft Windows has been discontinued.
    If you are instructed by the Product Support Personnel to install this
    protocol as a temporary measure, follow the instructions below.

    Installation instructions for NetBEUI protocol on Windows XP and Windows
    2002.

    * copy nbf.sys into the %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ directory
    * copy netnbf.inf into the %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\ directory
    * open network connection properties and use "Install..." button to add
    NetBEUI protocol

    Netbui can be found in the:

    Valueadd/MSFT/Net directory on your XP CD Rom....

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:

    Max Burke, Jan 4, 2004
  11. Mutley

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:29:22 +1300, harry wrote:

    > Your incorrect information concerning XP Home. There is no point you
    > trying to help this person when you clearly don't know what XP Home does
    > and doesn't do.

    I would suggest that the very best thing he could do would be to delete
    his system partition, and install a distribution of Linux - vastly
    superior to any Micro$oft product - and considerably cheaper and more
    reliable.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 4, 2004
  12. Mutley

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:33:50 +1300, Lennier <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:29:22 +1300, harry wrote:
    >
    >> Your incorrect information concerning XP Home. There is no point you
    >> trying to help this person when you clearly don't know what XP Home does
    >> and doesn't do.

    >I would suggest that the very best thing he could do would be to delete
    >his system partition, and install a distribution of Linux - vastly
    >superior to any Micro$oft product - and considerably cheaper and more
    >reliable.

    And if one knows f all about Linux, what's it going to do for them?

    I spent 3 friggen days setting up a dedicated Counter-Strike LAN server on
    Mandrake, following some poorly written how-to docs referring to shit that
    didn't exist on the 2 cds - insert CD1, blah blah, it wasn't on there. Great
    fun. Even better fun was "oh you need THIS rpm to install this rpm" - search
    online, find nothing. A home user would be so chuffed pissing in the wind for a
    week getting it up & running.

    Invisible, Jan 4, 2004
  13. Mutley

    Jax Guest

    You should check event log on XP/2k machine to see if there is any SMB
    conflicts - command line "nbtstat" can tell you what pc is master
    browser and various other things.

    I would *think* the XP machine would win browser elections (enabling
    browsing via Network Neighbourhood).. you can tweak registry settings to
    help it. On 98 go to network properties, properties of File & Print
    sharing, and you can turn off participate in elections (or something
    like that)

    If you have a PC that is on most of the time, you can help it to win by
    tweaking a registry setting "maintainserverlist"
    http://www.google.com/search?q=main...illa-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

    You shoud have no need to Netbeui - remove it, everything works over
    TCP/IP - and SAMBA definately doesnt need Netbeui. One advantage to
    having SAMBA though, is you can make it a WINS server which makes all of
    this moe effecient.

    My small home network has 2 x linux, 1 x 2000 and 2 x XP and all of them
    see each other fine.

    Jax

    Jax, Jan 4, 2004
  14. Mutley

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:56:28 +1300, Invisible wrote:

    > And if one knows f all about Linux, what's it going to do for them?

    It will give them a substantially superior system.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 4, 2004
  15. In article <lrRJb.15709$>, mlvburke@%$%#
    says...

    > Installation instructions for NetBEUI protocol on Windows XP and Windows
    > 2002.
    >
    > * copy nbf.sys into the %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ directory
    > * copy netnbf.inf into the %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\ directory
    > * open network connection properties and use "Install..." button to add
    > NetBEUI protocol
    >
    > Netbui can be found in the:
    >
    > Valueadd/MSFT/Net directory on your XP CD Rom....

    You can have it much easier:

    right click on 'my network places' in XP and chose 'poperties'.
    Pick the lan adapter. and bring up 'properties' again.
    Chose 'install''protocol', then 'have disk' and browse through to the
    aforementioned 'net' directory on the WinXP CD. There is an .inf file
    that will perform the netbeui installation. No copying by hand
    necessary.

    cheers, -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 4, 2004
  16. In article <>, mutley2000
    @hotmail.com says...
    > Happy new year,
    >
    > My wife just bought a HP Laptop with XP Home (yeah I know.
    > Condolences) I have a local home network setup with 2 x Win2K PC, a
    > Win98SE email server and her old Win98 laptop.
    >
    > I have setup the networking on the new laptop , Email, web , network
    > printer etc work Ok but in the Network Neighborhood I can only see the
    > local PC. I can ping the other PCs by IP address or by name and they
    > can all see the laptop on their network icon.
    >
    > I had this problem when I setup one of the Win2k PCs but installing
    > Netbui solved it. Netbui is not an option on XPHome.
    >
    > The IP address is set manually and the work group is called HOME.
    >
    > Any ideas or is Win XP crippled in this aspect??
    >
    > TIA

    You may want to check if [] firewall is/are set to allow that (new)
    machine to access the network. The way XP handles network settings I
    have often found my firewall to get reset because I changed someting
    related to the lan ... then pulled my hair out because nothing worked as
    expected all of a sudden.

    As you suggested yourself, installing netbeui would be my second course
    of action.

    If that still doesn't work, you can always try sacrificing a goat on the
    keyboard, but don't forget the three black candles and the chanting ;-)

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jan 4, 2004
  17. Mutley

    jerm Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:33:50 +1300, Lennier <> said

    >On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:29:22 +1300, harry wrote:
    >
    >> Your incorrect information concerning XP Home. There is no point you
    >> trying to help this person when you clearly don't know what XP Home does
    >> and doesn't do.

    >I would suggest that the very best thing he could do would be to delete
    >his system partition, and install a distribution of Linux - vastly
    >superior to any Micro$oft product - and considerably cheaper and more
    >reliable.

    And in the time it takes to learn how to configure & use (any) Linux
    (distro), MS Longhorn will be released and up to its second service pack.

    jerm, Jan 4, 2004
  18. Mutley

    jerm Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:11:11 +1300, Mutley <> said

    >Happy new year,
    >
    >My wife just bought a HP Laptop with XP Home (yeah I know.
    >Condolences) I have a local home network setup with 2 x Win2K PC, a
    >Win98SE email server and her old Win98 laptop.
    >
    >I have setup the networking on the new laptop , Email, web , network
    >printer etc work Ok but in the Network Neighborhood I can only see the
    >local PC. I can ping the other PCs by IP address or by name and they
    >can all see the laptop on their network icon.
    >
    >I had this problem when I setup one of the Win2k PCs but installing
    >Netbui solved it. Netbui is not an option on XPHome.
    >
    >The IP address is set manually and the work group is called HOME.
    >
    >Any ideas or is Win XP crippled in this aspect??

    How long has the machine been running , since it was turned on?

    A networking guru did once tell me that windows machines over TCP/IP take an
    appreciable amount of time to "settle" into a network each time they are
    turned on, they get the IP address & whatever off the DHCP server (if
    applicable) but can take up to 45 minutes or more to find other machines on
    the same network. Netbeui does speed this up.

    No doubt others may offer varying experiences.

    jerm, Jan 4, 2004
  19. Mutley

    harry Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:29:22 +1300, harry wrote:
    >
    >> Your incorrect information concerning XP Home. There is no point you
    >> trying to help this person when you clearly don't know what XP Home
    >> does and doesn't do.

    > I would suggest that the very best thing he could do would be to
    > delete his system partition, and install a distribution of Linux -
    > vastly superior to any Micro$oft product - and considerably cheaper
    > and more reliable.
    >
    > Lennier

    Now you are just trolling for anti linux flames.
    What a fucking tosser.
    No doubt more of you will respond.

    harry, Jan 4, 2004
  20. Mutley

    Jax Guest

    > How long has the machine been running , since it was turned on?
    >
    > A networking guru did once tell me that windows machines over TCP/IP take an
    > appreciable amount of time to "settle" into a network each time they are
    > turned on, they get the IP address & whatever off the DHCP server (if
    > applicable) but can take up to 45 minutes or more to find other machines on
    > the same network. Netbeui does speed this up.
    >
    > No doubt others may offer varying experiences.

    usually you can "force" this by doing a computer search/find off the
    start button

    Jax

    Jax, Jan 4, 2004