    from her user account? All I want her to do is use Office for her
    homework and surf the net. I don not want her to have the ability to
    install any software whatsoever. Thanks.

    Tigger, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Tigger

    Miggsee Guest

    Until anyone gives you a better answer, you need to create a limited user
    account, and control it as the Administrator.

    I'm sorry, I've never done this as there are no other users on my machine.
    Maybe try some of the MS MVP newsgroups under this specific question.

    news.microsoft.com is the server name.

    Miggsee, Oct 13, 2003

  3. "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    > Until anyone gives you a better answer, you need to create a limited user
    > account, and control it as the Administrator.
    >
    > I'm sorry, I've never done this as there are no other users on my machine.
    > Maybe try some of the MS MVP newsgroups under this specific question.
    >
    > news.microsoft.com is the server name.
    >
    > "Tigger" <> wrote in message
    > > We are hosting a foreign exchange student this year and have created
    > > her an account using Windows XP Home Edition. She is not setup as an
    > > administrator, but still manages to install software from her country.
    > > Is there any utility or policies that I can setup to block all this
    > > from her user account? All I want her to do is use Office for her
    > > homework and surf the net. I don not want her to have the ability to
    > > install any software whatsoever. Thanks.

    I know a high-tech answer is expected, and please pardon my parental
    butting-in, but why is she **allowed** unsupervised access to the computer
    when she is obviously violating your express orders regarding its use?
    Perhaps some parenting/discipline is a more appropriate solution to your
    problem, and more useful to her education.

    nj_dilettante, Oct 13, 2003
  4. Howdy!

    "Tigger" <> wrote in message
    > We are hosting a foreign exchange student this year and have created
    > her an account using Windows XP Home Edition. She is not setup as an
    > administrator, but still manages to install software from her country.
    > Is there any utility or policies that I can setup to block all this
    > from her user account? All I want her to do is use Office for her
    > homework and surf the net. I don not want her to have the ability to
    > install any software whatsoever. Thanks.

    The EASIEST is to make the Program Files !AND! the Windows
    directories read-only for her logon.

    However, you can also use the (new, still having the rough edges
    filed off!) security utility from Doug Knox, at
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm for the unlicensed
    version.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 13, 2003
  5. Tigger

    Miggsee Guest

    "nj_dilettante" <> wrote in message

    > "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    > > Until anyone gives you a better answer, you need to create a limited

    user
    > > account, and control it as the Administrator.
    > >
    > > I'm sorry, I've never done this as there are no other users on my

    machine.
    > > Maybe try some of the MS MVP newsgroups under this specific question.
    > >
    > > news.microsoft.com is the server name.
    > >
    > > "Tigger" <> wrote in message
    > > > We are hosting a foreign exchange student this year and have created
    > > > her an account using Windows XP Home Edition. She is not setup as an
    > > > administrator, but still manages to install software from her country.
    > > > Is there any utility or policies that I can setup to block all this
    > > > from her user account? All I want her to do is use Office for her
    > > > homework and surf the net. I don not want her to have the ability to
    > > > install any software whatsoever. Thanks.

    > I know a high-tech answer is expected, and please pardon my parental
    > butting-in, but why is she **allowed** unsupervised access to the computer
    > when she is obviously violating your express orders regarding its use?
    > Perhaps some parenting/discipline is a more appropriate solution to your
    > problem, and more useful to her education.

    Please reply to the correct poster.

    Miggsee, Oct 13, 2003
  6. Tigger

    Tigger Guest

    You have got to be kidding me?

    Tigger, Oct 13, 2003
  7. Tigger

    Bryan Guest

    "Tigger" <> wrote in message
    > You have got to be kidding me?

    I think it's a perfectly good response and sound advice!

    Bryan, Oct 13, 2003