    Thoughts? Cheers.

    --

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, May 18, 2005

  2. "Adam Cameron" <> wrote in message
    news:vkslwo3kd4ez$.19kngtzm3aqdw$...
    > Sorry for dumb two questions in as many minutes.
    >
    > Is there any setting I can make anywhere to prevent applications from
    > grabbing the focus just because they feel like they need some attention?
    >
    > Call me pendantic, but I like to decide which application I have focus on,
    > and I don't really want the focus to change until it's convenient for me.
    > The flashing-in-the-taskbar-because-I-need-attention idea is fine with me,
    > but the bloody thing should just sit them patiently until I'm ready to
    > look
    > at it. But no.

    Download the free Windows XP Tweak UI PowerToy from Microsoft. There's a
    registry key to change this.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    Mauricio Freitas, May 18, 2005

  3. Adam Cameron

    akiwi Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 22:18:31 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
    <> wrote:

    >"Adam Cameron" <> wrote in message
    >> Sorry for dumb two questions in as many minutes.
    >>
    >> Is there any setting I can make anywhere to prevent applications from
    >> grabbing the focus just because they feel like they need some attention?
    >>
    >> Call me pendantic, but I like to decide which application I have focus on,
    >> and I don't really want the focus to change until it's convenient for me.
    >> The flashing-in-the-taskbar-because-I-need-attention idea is fine with me,
    >> but the bloody thing should just sit them patiently until I'm ready to
    >> look
    >> at it. But no.
    >>

    >Download the free Windows XP Tweak UI PowerToy from Microsoft. There's a
    >registry key to change this.
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

    Applications can still steal the focus if they use attach_thread_input
    API call, even if the setting in tweakui says no focus stealing
    http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg02012005/qirex.jpg

    Maybe MS virtual desktop with the focus stealing apps like internet
    explorer in their own desktop would work some of the time?

    akiwi
    akiwi, May 18, 2005
  4. Adam Cameron

    Adam Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:48:57 +0100, Adam Cameron wrote:

    >Sorry for dumb two questions in as many minutes.
    >
    >Is there any setting I can make anywhere to prevent applications from
    >grabbing the focus just because they feel like they need some attention?
    >
    >Call me pendantic, but I like to decide which application I have focus on,
    >and I don't really want the focus to change until it's convenient for me.
    >The flashing-in-the-taskbar-because-I-need-attention idea is fine with me,
    >but the bloody thing should just sit them patiently until I'm ready to look
    >at it. But no.
    >
    >Thoughts? Cheers.

    Try taking a look at X-Setup (there's a free version around, I think).
    I seem to remember there being some registry tweaks that affect the
    behaviour of this taskbar flagging. Whether (or not) it affects focus
    grabbing ... I dunno. Worth a try.

    You defector!!!

    Adam (the NZ one).
    Adam, May 18, 2005
  5. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > You defector!!!
    > Adam (the NZ one).

    Heh. How'd you know I'd defected?

    And I'll have you know *I'm* the Kiwi one, you imposter ;-)

    --

    Adam
    (the... err... oh... I don't know any more!)
    Adam Cameron, May 18, 2005
  6. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > Download the free Windows XP Tweak UI PowerToy from Microsoft. There's a
    > registry key to change this.

    Cheers. I even used to have that installed [slaps head]. Let's see how
    well it works...

    --

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, May 18, 2005
  7. On Thu, 19 May 2005 00:36:42 +1200, akiwi <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 May 2005 22:18:31 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"Adam Cameron" <> wrote in message
    >>> Sorry for dumb two questions in as many minutes.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any setting I can make anywhere to prevent applications from
    >>> grabbing the focus just because they feel like they need some attention?
    >>>
    >>> Call me pendantic, but I like to decide which application I have focus on,
    >>> and I don't really want the focus to change until it's convenient for me.
    >>> The flashing-in-the-taskbar-because-I-need-attention idea is fine with me,
    >>> but the bloody thing should just sit them patiently until I'm ready to
    >>> look
    >>> at it. But no.
    >>>

    >>Download the free Windows XP Tweak UI PowerToy from Microsoft. There's a
    >>registry key to change this.
    >>
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

    >Applications can still steal the focus if they use attach_thread_input
    >API call, even if the setting in tweakui says no focus stealing
    >http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg02012005/qirex.jpg
    >
    >Maybe MS virtual desktop with the focus stealing apps like internet
    >explorer in their own desktop would work some of the time?
    >
    >akiwi

    MS changed the focus stealing behaviour in 98
    Then for some strange reason they changed it back in XP
    FreedomChooser, May 19, 2005
  8. Adam Cameron

    Adam Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:27:14 +0100, Adam Cameron wrote:

    >> You defector!!!
    >> Adam (the NZ one).

    >Heh. How'd you know I'd defected?

    Vee haff veys ... mind you, asking how to connect a UK keyboard to a
    laptoip gives it away a bit <g>.

    >And I'll have you know *I'm* the Kiwi one, you imposter ;-)

    Eheh! Touche ... hrrrmph - how do you do an "e-acute" on an **NZ**
    keyboard then? ;-)

    Adam.
    Adam, May 19, 2005
  9. In article <vkslwo3kd4ez$.19kngtzm3aqdw$>,
    Adam Cameron <> wrote:

    >Call me pendantic...

    Well, if you want to be a pendant, then nz.comp is as good a place as
    any to hang around, so to speak ...

    Lawrence the pedant
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 21, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    FreedomChooser <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 May 2005 00:36:42 +1200, akiwi <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 18 May 2005 22:18:31 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Adam Cameron" <> wrote in message

    >>>Download the free Windows XP Tweak UI PowerToy from Microsoft. There's a
    >>>registry key to change this.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

    >>Applications can still steal the focus if they use attach_thread_input
    >>API call, even if the setting in tweakui says no focus stealing
    >>http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg02012005/qirex.jpg
    >>
    >>Maybe MS virtual desktop with the focus stealing apps like internet
    >>explorer in their own desktop would work some of the time?
    >>
    >>akiwi

    >MS changed the focus stealing behaviour in 98
    >Then for some strange reason they changed it back in XP

    And of course you still have the freedom to choose which one you want to
    run, don't you?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 21, 2005
  11. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    >>Call me pendantic...
    >
    > Well, if you want to be a pendant, then nz.comp is as good a place as
    > any to hang around, so to speak ...

    Oh hohoho, well done. Thank-you for your invaluable input ;-)

    As for everyone else... the tweakui thing worked well. Excellent, cheers.

    --

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, May 21, 2005
  12. On Sat, 21 May 2005 20:19:00 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > FreedomChooser <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 19 May 2005 00:36:42 +1200, akiwi <> wrote:

    >>>Applications can still steal the focus if they use attach_thread_input
    >>>API call, even if the setting in tweakui says no focus stealing
    >>>http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg02012005/qirex.jpg
    >>>
    >>>Maybe MS virtual desktop with the focus stealing apps like internet
    >>>explorer in their own desktop would work some of the time?
    >>>
    >>>akiwi

    >>MS changed the focus stealing behaviour in 98
    >>Then for some strange reason they changed it back in XP

    >And of course you still have the freedom to choose which one you want to
    >run, don't you?

    Thread hijack alert!

    Who wants to run an ancient POS like Win98 anyway
    FreedomChooser, May 21, 2005
  13. Adam Cameron

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 03:00:40 +1200, FreedomChooser wrote:

    > Who wants to run an ancient POS like Win98 anyway

    Someone who likes Micro$oft?

    Bling Bling

    --
    Groklaw: "Seriously, the problem Microsoft has with its FUD is this: it waited
    too long. Too many solid, upstanding, capitalist corporations now believe in
    Bling-Bling, May 22, 2005
  14. On Sun, 22 May 2005 15:35:52 +1200, Bling-Bling
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 May 2005 03:00:40 +1200, FreedomChooser wrote:
    >
    >> Who wants to run an ancient POS like Win98 anyway

    >Someone who likes Micro$oft?

    Your still running it
    Does that mean you like microsoft
    FreedomChooser, May 22, 2005
  15. Adam Cameron

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 21:04:37 +1200, FreedomChooser wrote:

    >>> Who wants to run an ancient POS like Win98 anyway

    >>Someone who likes Micro$oft?

    > Your still running it
    > Does that mean you like microsoft

    The question was "Who WANTS to run ... Win98".

    I have the one remaining legacy box. I do not WANT to have Micro$oft
    software in my home, but I need it so that I can use some software that
    does not yet have a good equivalent on *nix.

    As soon as Wine is good enough, I'll be dumping that box altogether.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, May 22, 2005
  16. Adam Cameron

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > Who wants to run an ancient POS like Win98 anyway

    I can't get System Shock 2 running on XP (in 98 emulation mode, or any
    other hare-brained combination of settings and witchdoctory), no matter how
    hard I try. Whereas it works fine in Win98.

    So, in answer to your question... *I* do.

    --

    Adam
    Adam Cameron, May 22, 2005