WinXP Explorer & Search Program

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Extracoconut, Aug 20, 2005.

  1. Extracoconut

    Extracoconut Guest

    Hi people

    Just started to have a very annoying "thing" happening on my computer...hope
    you smart people can help.

    It all starts when I use the "Search" prog to find files on the hard drive.

    It works, but when I try to close the Search prog it just hangs there and I
    have to End Task it...then about 5 seconds later Windows Explorer will
    close.
    And, if I go into Task Manager, explorer.exe is still there and it won't go
    away no matter how many times I try to close it.

    So, I have to "open" a new explorer.exe.

    Any ideas why this is happening?

    Whys isn't "Search" closing properly and why when I "end task" it, does it
    completely cock up Explorer?

    Look forward to any help you can give.

    Virus checked okay...

    Chris

    Extracoconut, Aug 20, 2005

  2. Try closing all the programs you have running before searching. Then try;
    start
    run
    sfc /scannow

    let your machine scan for any broken system files and repair them.

    Good Luck.
    Rob
    http://www.techhowto.org

    Rob Burghdoff, Aug 20, 2005

  3. Extracoconut

    Extracoconut Guest

    Thanks for the help, but didn't work.

    It seems (because it happened once) that it only causes problems when the
    search gets to stop, because I did manage to successfully close the search
    program mid-search.

    Forgot to mention also that the computer, when it goes through this, won't
    shut down. I have to power off to close the machine!

    Chris

    Extracoconut, Aug 20, 2005