WinXP CPU Racing Sorted - sort of........

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Feb 28, 2007.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    OK....I tried four times to get WinXP Home (with all updates) to work on the
    oringal system intended.

    No luck. CPU racing issue ever present after more recent updates applied.

    So....decied to use a slightly lower spec PC I also have:

    AMD Athlon 2000+
    nVidia GF4-MX440
    on-board AC97 multimedia
    MSI K7T266 Pro2-U mobo.

    It was late....so thought I wouldn't be able to activate it and get updates,
    so instead just put the already installed drive - unmodified - into the
    second system.

    It booted, installed a bunch of device drivers......and looked good. I had
    to get the multimedia drivers from the MSI web site, but that didn't take
    long.

    Result? Everything works. All good. *Same* drive, same software.....same
    install.....just on a different PC. WinXP will activated, despite all
    hardware changing.

    Interesting outcome. The drive-swap and driver re-config only took about
    half an hour all up....

    But fascinating the multimedia support on same system would not work on one
    PC, but happily works on another.

    Problem solved, I guess, from a functional point of view....though I would
    have preferred to use the faster system with more RAM.
    steve, Feb 28, 2007