WinXP closing programs when logging off

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
    again when I boot back up.

    Thanks
    Paul
    Paul, Aug 7, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Paul wrote:
    > How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
    > again when I boot back up.


    Have you tried clicking on the little "X" button in the top right? Or
    click on the File menu then Exit? Or holding down the Alt key and
    pressing F4?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 7, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Paul

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:16:45 -0400, Paul <>
    wrote:

    >How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
    >again when I boot back up.


    How are you logging off?

    Programs shouldn't start back up if you Log Off - you'll even get a
    message that you have <X> open programs that will be terminated if you
    log off.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Aug 7, 2007
    #3
  4. Paul

    ded Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    news:Yo4ui.13$...
    > How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
    > again when I boot back up.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul


    XP won't shut down without programs being closed, so what exactly do you
    mean?

    There are a whole heap of programs that start with boot,
    if that is what you are talking about, GoTo: Start>Run
    Type: msconfig
    The System Configuration utility will appear
    Click the "Start up" tab
    Listed will be what is configured to load on start up.
    You can disable from this dialog, but better is to open
    each program you want to disable and look in the Options to disable
    it from loading
    ded, Aug 7, 2007
    #4
  5. Paul

    Guest

    , Aug 7, 2007
    #5
  6. Paul

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Yo4ui.13$>, Paul
    <> wrote:

    > How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
    > again when I boot back up.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul


    Are you just shutting off power when you are done?

    (That's the opposite of 'logging off'!)
    Mitch, Aug 7, 2007
    #6
  7. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Paul <> wrote:
    >
    >>How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
    >>again when I boot back up.

    >
    > Explorer, Tools, Folder Options. View
    >
    > UnSelect "Restore previous folder windows at logon"
    >
    > UnHide your stuff while your there
    > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp
    > --
    > Georgia: Russia set up us the bomb.
    > Russia: All your airspace are belong to us
    > http://tinyurl.com/2zghuj


    Mine is checked and I don't have that problem.
    Atlas Shrugged, Aug 8, 2007
    #7
  8. "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Paul wrote:
    >> How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
    >> again when I boot back up.

    >
    > Have you tried clicking on the little "X" button in the top right? Or
    > click on the File menu then Exit? Or holding down the Alt key and pressing
    > F4?


    Or right click on the program name on the Taskbar and click on "close".
    Atlas Shrugged, Aug 8, 2007
    #8
  9. Paul

    Guest

    "Atlas Shrugged" <> wrote:

    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Paul <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
    >>>again when I boot back up.

    >>
    >> Explorer, Tools, Folder Options. View
    >>
    >> UnSelect "Restore previous folder windows at logon"
    >>
    >> UnHide your stuff while your there
    >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp
    >> --


    >Mine is checked and I don't have that problem.


    Right click on the option, left click on what's this?



    --
    Giant Lego man washes up on Dutch beach.
    http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/08/1999202.htm?section=justin
    , Aug 8, 2007
    #9
  10. Paul

    JANA Guest

    You must close the programs before logging off or shutting down. There are
    cache files that are not marked as closed. Shutting down or logging off with
    opened files is a good way to cause a crash where you will have a lot of
    work to do in order to have a recovery.

    When driving your car, I am sure you come to a stop before getting out???

    --

    JANA
    _____


    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    news:Yo4ui.13$...
    How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
    again when I boot back up.

    Thanks
    Paul
    JANA, Aug 8, 2007
    #10
  11. Paul

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 23:55:39 -0400, "JANA" <>
    wrote:

    >You must close the programs before logging off or shutting down. There are
    >cache files that are not marked as closed. Shutting down or logging off with
    >opened files is a good way to cause a crash where you will have a lot of
    >work to do in order to have a recovery.
    >
    >When driving your car, I am sure you come to a stop before getting out???


    Really? And here I was thinking Windows closed down all programs I had
    running when I shut down. Gosh.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Aug 8, 2007
    #11
  12. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Atlas Shrugged" <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >><> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>> Paul <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
    >>>>again when I boot back up.
    >>>
    >>> Explorer, Tools, Folder Options. View
    >>>
    >>> UnSelect "Restore previous folder windows at logon"
    >>>
    >>> UnHide your stuff while your there
    >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp
    >>> --

    >
    >>Mine is checked and I don't have that problem.

    >
    > Right click on the option, left click on what's this?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Giant Lego man washes up on Dutch beach.
    > http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/08/1999202.htm?section=justin


    I believe that only is for XP programs, like Control Panel or Windows
    Explorer. When I leave other programs, like Word, open and log off they
    don't reopen.
    Atlas Shrugged, Aug 9, 2007
    #12
  13. Paul

    Guest

    "Atlas Shrugged" <> wrote:

    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> "Atlas Shrugged" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>><> wrote in message
    >>>news:...
    >>>> Paul <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
    >>>>>again when I boot back up.
    >>>>
    >>>> Explorer, Tools, Folder Options. View
    >>>>
    >>>> UnSelect "Restore previous folder windows at logon"
    >>>>
    >>>> UnHide your stuff while your there
    >>>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp
    >>>> --

    >>
    >>>Mine is checked and I don't have that problem.

    >>
    >> Right click on the option, left click on what's this?


    >I believe that only is for XP programs, like Control Panel or Windows
    >Explorer. When I leave other programs, like Word, open and log off they
    >don't reopen.


    Options been available since NT/98 - Maybe 95 can't remember


    --
    Ascii Stereogram Movie
    http://www.kammerl.de/ascii/AsciiStereoMovie.php
    I can see it :p
    , Aug 9, 2007
    #13
  14. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Atlas Shrugged" <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >><> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>> "Atlas Shrugged" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>><> wrote in message
    >>>>news:...
    >>>>> Paul <> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>How do I close all my open programs when I log off so they do not open
    >>>>>>again when I boot back up.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Explorer, Tools, Folder Options. View
    >>>>>
    >>>>> UnSelect "Restore previous folder windows at logon"
    >>>>>
    >>>>> UnHide your stuff while your there
    >>>>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp
    >>>>> --
    >>>
    >>>>Mine is checked and I don't have that problem.
    >>>
    >>> Right click on the option, left click on what's this?

    >
    >>I believe that only is for XP programs, like Control Panel or Windows
    >>Explorer. When I leave other programs, like Word, open and log off they
    >>don't reopen.

    >
    > Options been available since NT/98 - Maybe 95 can't remember
    >
    >
    > --
    > Ascii Stereogram Movie
    > http://www.kammerl.de/ascii/AsciiStereoMovie.php
    > I can see it :p


    I've used all Windows versions since it first came out way back. I never
    had it re-open stand-alone programs when they were left open and I logged
    out and logged back in. Only things like Control Panel, Windows Explorer,
    Task Manager and the like.
    Atlas Shrugged, Aug 11, 2007
    #14
  15. Paul

    nobody > Guest

    Atlas Shrugged wrote:

    >
    > I've used all Windows versions since it first came out way back. I never
    > had it re-open stand-alone programs when they were left open and I logged
    > out and logged back in. Only things like Control Panel, Windows Explorer,
    > Task Manager and the like.
    >
    >


    Windows 3.0 had that option. It was a PITA when enabled by mistake. I'm
    trying to remember if W3.1 and/or WfW3.11 did the same.

    I turned up a brand-new copy of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and an
    archive copy of DRDOS 6 with the patch to make Windows work, both out
    of my junk room. One of these days I'm gonna have to load up both of
    them on a ~2ghzCPU/1 gig RAM (and fight video drivers) machine, and
    watch a Solitare win flash by in a second.
    nobody >, Aug 11, 2007
    #15
  16. Paul

    Star@*.* Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:26:19 -0700, "nobody >"
    <> wrote:

    >Atlas Shrugged wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> I've used all Windows versions since it first came out way back. I never
    >> had it re-open stand-alone programs when they were left open and I logged
    >> out and logged back in. Only things like Control Panel, Windows Explorer,
    >> Task Manager and the like.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Windows 3.0 had that option. It was a PITA when enabled by mistake. I'm
    > trying to remember if W3.1 and/or WfW3.11 did the same.
    >
    >I turned up a brand-new copy of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and an
    >archive copy of DRDOS 6 with the patch to make Windows work, both out
    >of my junk room. One of these days I'm gonna have to load up both of
    >them on a ~2ghzCPU/1 gig RAM (and fight video drivers) machine, and
    >watch a Solitare win flash by in a second.


    Yes. That used to be my computer benchmark program until XP came
    along.

    Art
    Star@*.*, Aug 12, 2007
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Christian Roos

    logging buffered vs. logging history

    Christian Roos, Feb 5, 2006, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    15,011
  2. Bryan Henderson

    Programs keep closing down

    Bryan Henderson, Jun 26, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,004
    Duane Arnold
    Jun 27, 2004
  3. mary wei
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    5,842
    Solar Nowhere
    Aug 20, 2004
  4. doofus

    Closing the doors 15 minutes before closing.

    doofus, Jun 10, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    1,007
    Blinky the Shark
    Jun 11, 2005
  5. WINXP LOGGING OFF PROBLEM

    , Aug 11, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    447
    nobody >
    Aug 11, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page