WinXP application memory partitioning?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordy, May 5, 2007.

  1. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    Hi,

    I have two digital multimeters (DMM) sending data to Windows XP via
    USB ports using some sort of serial bridge.

    I am running two copies of the same data logger application with one
    USB port using Comm10 and the other Comm11.

    I can see the independent data for each DMM on the computer screen.

    BUT the problem is that both data logger buffers appear to use the
    same location in memory.

    The last data logger application started overwrites its data of the
    first data logger that was started

    It appears that the DMM software writers did not anticipate an end
    user wanting to run two DMMs at the same time.

    I am thinking of trying to run the two DMM loggers under something
    like SandboxIE to see if the data buffers are separated.

    Anyone with a better knowledge of WinXP and ways of partitioning an
    application memory usage or even starting the application and forcing
    it to use independent areas of memory?

    The ultimate aim is to import the two saved data files into Excel.

    I have had one suggestion and that is to use two computers.. Not
    really an option I want to use.

    Any help would be most appreciated.

    Thanks

    Gordy

    Gordy, May 5, 2007

  2. Gordy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two digital multimeters (DMM) sending data to Windows XP via
    > USB ports using some sort of serial bridge.
    >
    > I am running two copies of the same data logger application with one
    > USB port using Comm10 and the other Comm11.
    >
    > I can see the independent data for each DMM on the computer screen.
    >
    > BUT the problem is that both data logger buffers appear to use the
    > same location in memory.
    >
    > The last data logger application started overwrites its data of the
    > first data logger that was started
    >
    > It appears that the DMM software writers did not anticipate an end
    > user wanting to run two DMMs at the same time.
    >
    > I am thinking of trying to run the two DMM loggers under something
    > like SandboxIE to see if the data buffers are separated.
    >
    > Anyone with a better knowledge of WinXP and ways of partitioning an
    > application memory usage or even starting the application and forcing
    > it to use independent areas of memory?
    >
    > The ultimate aim is to import the two saved data files into Excel.
    >
    > I have had one suggestion and that is to use two computers.. Not
    > really an option I want to use.
    >
    > Any help would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gordy

    Just off the top of my head use a Virtual machine for each and do the summation
    in the main (real machine)

    Tokoroa Live weather site
    http://tokoroa.dyndns.org
    ==

    Collector»NZ, May 5, 2007

  3. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    Running the each data logger application under SandboxIE did not work
    :-(

    Gordy

    Gordy, May 5, 2007
  4. Gordy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Gordy <> wrote in news:chko33pmfqkav6fq7aop9o6u8uejs7kghc@
    4ax.com:

    > I am thinking of trying to run the two DMM loggers under something
    > like SandboxIE to see if the data buffers are separated.

    If that doesn't work, then look into setting up a .pif to protect the
    memory. Boy, I havent thought of .pif files for ages, do they even work in
    XP?

    You could also use VMWare now it has USB support. Your USB to serial
    driver under VMWare, well that might not work...

    Maybe this will help?
    https://buildsecurityin.us-
    cert.gov/daisy/bsi/articles/knowledge/coding/311.html

    http://tinyurl.com/yo8a2f

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 5, 2007
  5. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    Sandboxie did the trick.

    Had a look at VMWare and got bogged down.

    Installed a second copy of the data logger application thru Sandboxie.

    Ran one copy of the logger in the real computer and the other copy of
    the logger within Sandbox.

    Merged the two data logger files in Excel.

    Just what I wanted.

    Thanks for the help and suggestions.

    Gordy

    Gordy, May 11, 2007