    it... but i'm not sure if it was that.

    this is really *%$*#*in annoying not having a useable network... are
    there any steps i can check to get it going...? TIA

    gimp, Aug 13, 2004

  2. gimp

    Adam R Guest

    Turn off Qos Packet Scheduler in the XP network stack - might help.

    Adam R, Aug 13, 2004

  3. In article <cfhk39$r0f$>, says...
    > just installed my new windowsXP Pro - its pretty cool - but i've only
    > been able to connect to my box win2K once before, the rest of the time i
    > can't see it on the network.
    >
    > the win2K box can see the XP box.... its' not a firewall issue i've
    > tried with it disabled. the time i got it to work i disabled IEEE802.1x
    > authentication 'cause i didn't recognize it... and that seemed to fix
    > it... but i'm not sure if it was that.
    >
    > this is really *%$*#*in annoying not having a useable network... are
    > there any steps i can check to get it going...? TIA

    Do you have a user account on the 2K box for the XP user?

    --
    "Marriage is a lifelong covenant commitment between
    a man and a woman.

    This foundation provides the best possible
    environment to raise our children."

    See http://www.maxim.org.nz/civilunions.html

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 13, 2004
  4. gimp

    gimp Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > Do you have a user account on the 2K box for the XP user?

    hmmm nope - i neve had to do that with multiple 2K boxes - i thought as
    long as drives or folders were shared and the workgroup was the same it
    would work....

    gimp, Aug 13, 2004
  5. gimp

    Steven H Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:36:54 +1200, gimp wrote:

    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>
    >> Do you have a user account on the 2K box for the XP user?

    > hmmm nope - i neve had to do that with multiple 2K boxes - i thought as
    > long as drives or folders were shared and the workgroup was the same it
    > would work....

    ok you can ping the 2k box from the xp box and vice versa right???

    are both boxes in the same workgroup / subnet???

    you MUST have auth details on both computers (this is why Domains were
    invented for corps).

    what happens is that when you try to connect to a server share your windows
    session will a hash of your auth details to the server to be authenticated
    (asks can //xpcomputer/user access //2kcomputer/share - the server looks up
    the acl and grants or denys based on the acl).

    i THINK (never tried) if you give //2kcomputer/EVERYBODY/ access to a share
    on the 2kcomputer you dont need to have your username duplicated on both
    computers.

    personally I wouldnt do that but thats just me.

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic
    ..net Geek

    Steven H, Aug 13, 2004
  6. gimp

    gimp Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    > ok you can ping the 2k box from the xp box and vice versa right???

    nope. :) i can see XP box from 2K but the new XP box can't see sh**

    i could but just that one time... then i installed a bluetooth mouse and
    everything's invisible now. :(

    > are both boxes in the same workgroup / subnet???

    same workgroup. on win2K i never used to have to enable DNS but i
    noticed with XP it enables it by default.

    > you MUST have auth details on both computers (this is why Domains were
    > invented for corps).

    actually just realised the accounts on both boxes were called the same
    name, different password though. it has connected today once, on the XP
    box i was asked a password to connect and it worked sweet...

    gimp, Aug 13, 2004
  7. In article <cfhni6$ttp$>, says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >
    > > Do you have a user account on the 2K box for the XP user?

    > hmmm nope - i neve had to do that with multiple 2K boxes - i thought as
    > long as drives or folders were shared and the workgroup was the same it
    > would work....

    True, if it is shared to Everyone it isn't necessary for them to have the
    same username.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 13, 2004