WinXP-64 preview version available now

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Paul Gunson, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Paul Gunson

    Paul Gunson Guest

    Paul Gunson, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Paul Gunson

    Rider Guest

    "Paul Gunson" <> wrote in message
    news:bvpe5i$u5i$...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp
    >
    > Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview
    > Program, supports Athlon64 / Opteron. still no word on when the real
    > deal will be available or for how much.....

    I like this bit ...................

    "It cannot be successfully installed on 64-bit Intel Itanium-based systems."
    Rider, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Paul Gunson

    Disco Stu Guest

    Paul Gunson wrote:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp
    >
    > Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview
    > Program, supports Athlon64 / Opteron. still no word on when the real
    > deal will be available or for how much.....

    Cool - am installing on our quad proc Opteron box to have a play.
    Disco Stu, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Disco Stu wrote:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp
    >> Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview
    >> Program, supports Athlon64 / Opteron. still no word on when the real
    >> deal will be available or for how much.....

    > Cool - am installing on our quad proc Opteron box to have a play.

    nice... where'd you get it, and how much?
    I've been trying to get one priced up, but no-one I have spoken to seems
    to have the ability to investigate. The only decent pricing I have got
    is from Oz.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Paul Gunson

    Disco Stu Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Disco Stu wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp
    >>> Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer
    >>> Preview Program, supports Athlon64 / Opteron. still no word on when
    >>> the real deal will be available or for how much.....

    >> Cool - am installing on our quad proc Opteron box to have a play.

    > nice... where'd you get it, and how much?
    > I've been trying to get one priced up, but no-one I have spoken to seems
    > to have the ability to investigate. The only decent pricing I have got
    > is from Oz.

    www.insite.co.nz

    It's 3U & bloody loud!
    Disco Stu, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Disco Stu wrote:
    >> nice... where'd you get it, and how much?

    > www.insite.co.nz
    > It's 3U & bloody loud!

    Thanks.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 5, 2004
  7. Paul Gunson

    Disco Stu Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Disco Stu wrote:
    >
    >>> nice... where'd you get it, and how much?

    >> www.insite.co.nz
    >> It's 3U & bloody loud!

    > Thanks.

    Well I installed it lastnight.

    Seems to run quite fast, but its only picking up 2 of the 4 procs.
    Comes with at 64 bit version of IE.

    At this stage, I can't see any real advantage until 64 bit apps start
    being released - or until MS release a 4 proc version.

    My 64 bit Opteron procs only run at 1.8mhz. It will be interesting to
    compare this to our intel procs running at 2.8 mhz (xeon).
    Disco Stu, Feb 5, 2004
  8. "Disco Stu" <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com> wrote in message
    > Seems to run quite fast, but its only picking up 2 of the 4 procs.

    Its Windows XP which is a client, supporting up to 2 physical procs

    More than that and you need a Windows Server

    > Comes with at 64 bit version of IE.
    >
    > At this stage, I can't see any real advantage until 64 bit apps start

    You've got an address space tbat supports large data sets, some scenarios
    that come to mind:

    RDBMS
    Scientific Computing

    Data modelling

    Physical system simulation

    CAD

    Imaging

    Data mining

    > being released - or until MS release a 4 proc version.

    Its in beta its Windows Server, and will be available later this calendar
    year

    http://microsoft.com/64bit

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 6, 2004
  9. "Paul Gunson" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp
    >
    > Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview
    > Program, supports Athlon64 / Opteron. still no word on when the real deal
    > will be available or for how much.....

    Expect it around the middle of this calendar year
    Nathan Mercer, Feb 6, 2004
  10. Paul Gunson

    Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:11:18 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >> Seems to run quite fast, but its only picking up 2 of the 4 procs.

    > Its Windows XP which is a client, supporting up to 2 physical procs
    >
    > More than that and you need a Windows Server

    Wow - paid $$$ to get an OS which cannot use all the CPUs on the mobo.

    Download GNU/Linux for free and get full use of all your CPUs - and for
    nothing more than the download time.

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our
    Lennier, Feb 6, 2004
  11. Paul Gunson

    Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:47:49 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >> Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview
    >> Program, supports Athlon64 / Opteron. still no word on when the real deal
    >> will be available or for how much.....

    > Expect it around the middle of this calendar year

    64bit Linux is available NOW, and with FULL support for hyperthreading and
    multiple CPUs.

    Lennier

    --
    "When dealing with the Religious Right one should remember that 'truth'
    is not a part of the rules of their game."
    Lennier, Feb 6, 2004
  12. "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:11:18 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >>> Seems to run quite fast, but its only picking up 2 of the 4 procs.

    >> Its Windows XP which is a client, supporting up to 2 physical procs
    >>
    >> More than that and you need a Windows Server

    > Wow - paid $$$ to get an OS which cannot use all the CPUs on the mobo.

    Damn all those home users that went out and bought 4-way Opeteron systems
    are going to be real pissed off aren't they

    Hands up all the home users with a PC with more than 2 procs?

    Chances are you're a nerd.

    Chances are you'll want to run a twiddle-the-knobs under the hood OS like
    Linux anyway

    > Download GNU/Linux for free and get full use of all your CPUs - and for
    > nothing more than the download time.

    Free? get a life

    Don't you think if you've got the money to buy a Workstation system with 4
    Opteron's and the GB's of memory that go along with them, you're probably
    going to buy a name brand Linux distro and install that?
    Nathan Mercer, Feb 6, 2004
  13. "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:47:49 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >>> Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview
    >>> Program, supports Athlon64 / Opteron. still no word on when the real
    >>> deal
    >>> will be available or for how much.....

    >> Expect it around the middle of this calendar year

    > 64bit Linux is available NOW, and with FULL support for hyperthreading and
    > multiple CPUs.

    Holy cow!

    I didn't know that AMD had hyperthreading support in their 64bit CPUs!
    Nathan Mercer, Feb 6, 2004
  14. Lennier wrote:
    >>>Seems to run quite fast, but its only picking up 2 of the 4 procs.

    >>Its Windows XP which is a client, supporting up to 2 physical procs
    >>More than that and you need a Windows Server

    > Wow - paid $$$ to get an OS which cannot use all the CPUs on the mobo.
    > Download GNU/Linux for free and get full use of all your CPUs - and for
    > nothing more than the download time.
    > Lennier

    Fucking dipstick... XP64 is currently in beta and a free download.
    start brain before engaging mouth aye..

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2004
  15. Paul Gunson

    Lebowski Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote in message

    > "Lennier" <> wrote in message

    > >> Expect it around the middle of this calendar year

    > > 64bit Linux is available NOW, and with FULL support for hyperthreading

    and
    > > multiple CPUs.

    > Holy cow!
    >
    > I didn't know that AMD had hyperthreading support in their 64bit CPUs!

    Further proof that AMD and Intel aren't actually in competition with
    eachother ;)
    Lebowski, Feb 6, 2004
  16. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>64bit Linux is available NOW, and with FULL support for hyperthreading and
    >>multiple CPUs.

    > Holy cow!
    > I didn't know that AMD had hyperthreading support in their 64bit CPUs!

    Be nice to the poor misguided fool Nathan... he thinks that they paid
    for the free downloaded OS.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2004
  17. Paul Gunson

    Lebowski Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    message news:SXDUb.35567$...

    > >>Its Windows XP which is a client, supporting up to 2 physical procs
    > >>More than that and you need a Windows Server

    > > Wow - paid $$$ to get an OS which cannot use all the CPUs on the mobo.
    > > Download GNU/Linux for free and get full use of all your CPUs - and for
    > > nothing more than the download time.
    > > Lennier

    > Fucking dipstick... XP64 is currently in beta and a free download.
    > start brain before engaging mouth aye..
    >
    > --

    Yeah I downloaded the ISO this morning from Microsoft. Came with cd-key and
    everything. It's a one-year trial, which I consider very fair and
    reasonable.

    Now I just need to buy a Socket 754 / A64 system to run it!!!! :(((((( But I
    am very fussy; I have sworn to myself my next motherboard will be Socket 754
    BUT with PCI Express (in prep for the next video card upgrade), and can't
    see any mainboards currently for sale in the NZ stores. They're supposed to
    be available now, but WHERE?
    Lebowski, Feb 6, 2004
  18. Lebowski wrote:
    >>>Wow - paid $$$ to get an OS which cannot use all the CPUs on the mobo.
    >>>Download GNU/Linux for free and get full use of all your CPUs - and for
    >>>nothing more than the download time.
    >>>Lennier

    >>Fucking dipstick... XP64 is currently in beta and a free download.
    >>start brain before engaging mouth aye..

    > Yeah I downloaded the ISO this morning from Microsoft. Came with cd-key and
    > everything. It's a one-year trial, which I consider very fair and
    > reasonable.
    > They're supposed to
    > be available now, but WHERE?

    pcgear.co.nz had some a while back...

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2004
  19. "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:55:26 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> I didn't know that AMD had hyperthreading support in their 64bit CPUs!

    > Linux has support for Hyperthreading.

    Thats nice, but what is your point?

    64bit Windows is available NOW, and with FULL support for hyperthreading and
    multiple CPUs

    Meanwhile I'm still trying to figure out just what does hyperthreading have
    to do with AMD Athlon64 and Opteron CPUs that you speak of
    Nathan Mercer, Feb 6, 2004
  20. Paul Gunson

    Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:43:53 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Don't you think if you've got the money to buy a Workstation system with 4
    > Opteron's and the GB's of memory that go along with them, you're probably
    > going to buy a name brand Linux distro and install that?

    Yes - I do.

    The important thing is that the hardware be good and the software be
    reliable.

    Why pay for software that you have no control over?

    Linux is reliable and highly configurable and customisable. Windows is
    neither.

    Windows is expensive - Linux is freely downloadable.

    Windows has poor memory management. Linux has the superior memory
    management of Unix-like systems.

    Windows is proprietary - Linux is Open Source.

    Windows is a waste of money - Linux is added value.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Feb 6, 2004