    and hangs without bringing up the lower toolbar, desktop icons, etc. I can do
    a re-installe I suppose, but I have hoping for another solution. Any
    suggestions would be appreciated. - phil
    =?Utf-8?B?cGhpbGc=?=, Aug 30, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cGhpbGc=?=

    Guest

    what type of video and power supply do you have?

    if the power supply was weak it might have random lockups.

    I had a Rosewill 550W power supply that worked ok when I only had one
    video card but when I went dual video cards ( crossfire ) it would lock
    up at random. I seems the Rosewill wasn't really a 550W, it was more
    like 250W power supply.

    I changed to a 700W FSP group and all lockup problems went away.
    , Aug 31, 2006

  3. Thanks John!

    I have a 450 watt power supply, can't remember which type just yet.
    I'm not sure if this is a 'random' lockup or a consistent one.. as I haven't
    been able to get past it on a reboot just yet... I am using the integrated
    video option so the power supply may not be a factor. I only have two HD's
    running off of it at this time.

    I'll see if I can find one to test out your thoughts... thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?cGhpbGc=?=, Aug 31, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?cGhpbGc=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Seriously doubt that it be worth the effort to install a new power supply
    when the problem didn't occur until you installed the SATA drivers.
    Power would be consistent the whole way thru. Have you tried booting in
    either Safe or VGA modes, and what were the results.

    John Barnes, Aug 31, 2006
  5. "John Barnes" wrote:

    > Seriously doubt that it be worth the effort to install a new power supply
    > when the problem didn't occur until you installed the SATA drivers. <snip>

    .... Actually John, you brought up a good point. What came up was the
    'makeadisk' utility for the SATA drivers.. I actually 'missed' the F6 install
    of the SATA drivers on the disk.. maybe the OS can't find the drive it needs
    fully? I should be able to test it out some more tonight... thanks for your
    input.
    =?Utf-8?B?cGhpbGc=?=, Aug 31, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?cGhpbGc=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You had your system up and running without the SATA drivers at F6, so you
    don't need them. The drives are either seen or not seen and yours are seen.
    Was there anything actually installed in one of the processes before the
    system failed, and try the other two boot methods to see what happens

    John Barnes, Aug 31, 2006
  7. Many thanks to all who contributed. The reinstall of drivers seemed to stop
    the hang up. Now I can move on to the next 'glitch' <grin>

    =?Utf-8?B?cGhpbGc=?=, Sep 3, 2006