WinSvr 2K3 Terminal Server problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nicasmic, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. nicasmic

    nicasmic Guest

    I'm having a problem with Office Access 2003 running on Windows Server
    2003 in Terminal Services.

    We run a Microsoft Access Database from our main file server which is
    shared on the main Company Drive. All users map to this drive when they
    log in and have a icon on their desktop for the database.

    Database link works fine when the logged in user has administrator
    rights, but when the user has only standard user rights, the link
    doesn't function. When command is launched from the command prompt, the
    following error displays:
    " The process cannot access the file because it is being used by
    another process. "

    The database is obviousily structured/unlocked so that more than one
    user can open the file at a time. I've even tested having 3 admins on
    at the same time with the file open with success. The file is
    definately not the problem.

    The shortcut isn't the problem either. Access permission for the
    shortcut and the database
    itself allows access to all users and admins.

    Windows Server 2003 has SP1 applied and is patched up to date.
    Office Professional Enterprise Edition 2003 has SP2 applied and is
    patched up to date.

    Any ideas? Recommend places to look? I've had a big hunt on Microsoft's
    Knowledge Base and Google with no luck. Apparently Office 2003 doesn't
    need to be "transfored" in a TS enviroment like the previous versions
    used to.

    Thanks.
    nicasmic, Dec 1, 2005

  2. nicasmic

    Mercury Guest

    Does each user have a unique temp dir?
    Is the database in a user independant location?
    Are you using a network share a the path to the file and does the share have
    the right permissions? IIRC it needs delete access to the folder for the lck
    file to get deleted.
    What version of MSAccess?

    Did you install using add / removeprograms / setup.exe?
    Did you invoke the special program with /install switch first?
    Does the version of Office require you to do a Transform prior to setup?
    What version of Office ==> need for transform... 2000, 2002 needs it IIRC,
    2003 does not IIRC. Did you check the kb on setup / office version /
    Terminal Server first? That will tell you if its not in the readme.txt / htm

    HTH

    Mercury, Dec 2, 2005

  3. nicasmic

    nicasmic Guest

    Thanks for replying Mercury.

    # Each user has their own TEMP directory as part of there local
    profile. Ie they each have a \Doc and Setts\<username>\local
    settings\temp

    #The database is stored in the same location no matter who the user is.
    Its simply a .mdb file, in a shared folder.

    #The shortcut and the actual db file have full permissions. (The file
    works fine when the user is a admin)

    #It is running Access 2003 with SP2 (v 11.6568.6568)

    #was installed via Add and remove programms. Ive repaired the
    installation, reinstalled the application using the command in
    Add/remove programms. Ive also gone so far as to remove and then
    reinstall. Between installations, machine was rebooted to no success.

    # /install and transform is aparently not necessary in Office 2003. Ive
    checked the pre install KB, etc.

    Does that help? Its becoming increasingly frustrating that its not
    working.... so so odd.
    nicasmic, Dec 5, 2005