Winsock?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fred, Aug 19, 2005.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Kenny, <>, whose name means "short and dumpy; has lots of
    pictures of his mummy", whooped:

    > Can someone give me a simple explanation of what WINSOCK is and if it's
    > damaged/corrupt can it be fixed easily without a full format and
    > re-install?

    Maybe it's something simple.

    > I have Googled it but was confused about what I was reading.

    Why have you googled it?

    > I have tried CHECKDSK, SFC and a Repair install but none fixed the
    > problem.

    I've got to kiss up to the sergeant. [At a Police Department coffee break]

    > Original problem arose after virus attack (cleaned) after which IE gives
    > "Can't display page" or similar and OE won't send or receive.

    Only after dark.

    > I understand that Norton and some other products can cause problems like
    > this but I don't believe that applies here.

    I wouldn't expect you to believe that applies there.

    > Went through steps suggested by NTL advisor, she had an Indian accent
    > and I have an Irish one and we did have a little difficulty there.

    Wow, who hasn't got an irish one and you did have a little difficulty there.

    > The steps included pinging various numbers, IPCONFIG etc. all of
    > which worked.

    Which worked?

    > The connection was OK but no IE or OE.

    No price? It means I don't have to pay. That means it's free.

    > After trying these steps was told that Winsock and Registry were damaged
    > and Full format was required.

    After twenty-four years, does the sex go bad?

    > Using XP Home/SP1 with AVG and Zone Alarm free versions and it's a
    > friends PC.

    Could you be friends with a computer?

    > Modem is standalone USB type connected directly to single PC.

    I don't use a computer, so I can't help.
    Fred, Aug 19, 2005

  2. Fred

    Kenny Guest

[...]
    PC. Modem is standalone USB type connected directly to single PC.

    --

    Kenny Cargill
    Kenny, Aug 19, 2005

  3. Fred

    why? Guest

    www.google.com - what is winsock?

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/Winsock.html

    >damaged/corrupt can it be fixed easily without a full format and re-install?

    Uninsyall all network components , uninstall NIC drivers. Put everythign
    bac and reinstall the latest service pack you have.

    >I have Googled it but was confused about what I was reading.
    >I have tried CHECKDSK, SFC and a Repair install but none fixed the problem.
    >Original problem arose after virus attack (cleaned) after which IE gives

    So the virus name was? You cleaned it with? Double checked with?

    >"Can't display page" or similar and OE won't send or receive.
    >I understand that Norton and some other products can cause problems like
    >this but I don't believe that applies here.

    Maybe it's the LSP issue?
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    <big snip>

    Me
    why?, Aug 19, 2005
  4. Fred

    George H. Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > Can someone give me a simple explanation of what WINSOCK is and if it's
    > damaged/corrupt can it be fixed easily without a full format and re-install?
    > I have Googled it but was confused about what I was reading.
    > I have tried CHECKDSK, SFC and a Repair install but none fixed the problem.
    > Original problem arose after virus attack (cleaned) after which IE gives
    > "Can't display page" or similar and OE won't send or receive.
    > I understand that Norton and some other products can cause problems like
    > this but I don't believe that applies here.
    > Went through steps suggested by NTL advisor, she had an Indian accent and I
    > have an Irish one and we did have a little difficulty there.
    > The steps included pinging various numbers, IPCONFIG etc. all of which
    > worked. The connection was OK but no IE or OE.
    > After trying these steps was told that Winsock and Registry were damaged and
    > Full format was required.
    > Using XP Home/SP1 with AVG and Zone Alarm free versions and it's a friends
    > PC. Modem is standalone USB type connected directly to single PC.

    You might have TCP/IP stack corruption. At the command line [dos
    window], type:

    netsh int ip reset c:netsh.log

    The details are here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357

    --
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic
    messages. That's nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs
    George H., Aug 19, 2005
  5. Fred

    Joel Rubin Guest

    Let's say you are wriing a program like a word processor which loads
    and saves files. You probably don't want to have to find out if
    "C:\TEMP\myletter.doc" is near the outside of an 100 gig IDE hard disk
    or the inside of a 750 meg USB zip disk or on a floppy or what. You
    want to tell Windows "Open C:\TEMP\myletter.doc for reading" and let
    Windows figure out where the file is and how to read it.

    Now, let's say you're writing a web browser of a mail program or
    whatever.

    Do you really want to have to know how the user is connected to the
    network (dial-up, ethernet cable connected to a cable modem, whatever)
    and have separate code for each possibility?

    No. What you really want to do is to figure out where www.yahoo.com is
    (what IP), connect to that server on port 80 (HTTP = port 80) and ask
    for and receive the page.

    Winsock is a buffer between the browser asking "please connect to
    255.254.253.252 on the HTTP port" and the grubby work of connecting on
    say the DSL line.

    (Winsock is the Windows version of something called "Berkeley Sockets"
    because it was developed at the University of California in Berkeley.)
    Joel Rubin, Aug 19, 2005
  6. Fred

    Plato Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > Can someone give me a simple explanation of what WINSOCK is and if it's
    > damaged/corrupt can it be fixed easily without a full format and re-install?
    > I have Googled it but was confused about what I was reading.
    > I have tried CHECKDSK, SFC and a Repair install but none fixed the problem.
    > Original problem arose after virus attack (cleaned) after which IE gives
    > "Can't display page" or similar and OE won't send or receive.

    http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/WinsockXPFix.exe
    http://www.rcrnet.net/downloads/WinsockXPFix.exe

    read this first
    http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

    http://www.bootdisk.com/florida/tcpfix2.exe

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 20, 2005
  7. Fred

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks for the replies, have passed the info on but haven's heard yet if it
    worked.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Aug 20, 2005