    problem before. I presently use broadband.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Jon

    Jon, Nov 14, 2003

  2. Jon

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Jon <> wrote in
    news:eek::

    > I repeatedly lose the ability to browse the internet with Internet
    > Explorer 6 (I have Windows 98 installed). It merely comes up with page
    > not found no matter which site at try to access. Sometimes if I
    > restart IE I can access the internet again. On other occasions I have
    > to reboot my computer
    >
    > FreeAgent similarly loses the connection. With FreeAgent the following
    > error message comes up "Error reported by winsock driver. Host name
    > not found. Error 11001" I have to disconnect and restart FreeAgent or
    > reboot the computer.
    >
    > This is not my ISP as I have recently changed them and I had the same
    > problem before. I presently use broadband.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Jon

    You could try rebuilding the TCP/IP Stack (Winsock) on the Win98 machine.
    It's out there on Google on how to do it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Jon

    clydeo Guest

    You can go here-http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html
    and download the Winsock fix. It has gotten many people back on track and is
    easy to install. Clydeo22

    ---

    clydeo, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Jon

    Thor Guest

    That's also a rather handy tool for a technician to keep around. Thanks for
    the link.

    Thor, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Jon

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > That's also a rather handy tool for a technician to keep around.
    > Thanks for the link.
    >

    > ..
    > "clydeo" <> wrote in message
    >> You can go
    >> here-http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html and
    >> download the Winsock fix. It has gotten many people back on track and

    > is
    >> easy to install. Clydeo22
    >>

    >> ---

    http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_tcp_ip_xp.htm

    The command in the link has gotten me out of a couple 169.xxx IP(s) being
    assigned to TCP/IP.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 18, 2003
  6. Jon

    Thor Guest

    yeah, i was aware of the XP fix, but the WIn9x TCP/IP fixes tend to be
    lengthy affairs, so it's very handy to have a little utility to run instead
    in many cases.

    Thor, Nov 19, 2003