    find where that is stored.

    My son just threw up his hands and went Mac, I'm about to join him. Don't
    want to but have been unable to find any help for this. Ugggghhhhh!
    Meg, Jun 8, 2009

  2. Meg

    Meg Guest

    Here is the error report. I captured it when it happened again after my
    original post:

    <?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <?xml-stylesheet type='text/xsl' href="xpnetdiag.xsl" ?>
    <xpnetdiag>

    <title>
    Network Diagnostics for Windows XP
    </title>
    <lastRunText>
    Last diagnostic run time:
    </lastRunText>
    <rejectText>
    REJECT
    </rejectText>
    <indeterminateText>
    INDETERMINATE
    </indeterminateText>
    <confirmText>
    CONFIRM
    </confirmText>
    <timeStamp>
    06/08/09 12:18:17
    </timeStamp>
    <component name="HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic"
    startDiagnosisTime="06/08/09 12:18:17">

    <rootCause name="HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity" status="confirm">

    <trace traceType="warn" text="FTP (Passive): Error 12031
    connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The connection with the server was reset
    ">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="warn" text="FTP (Active): Error 12031
    connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The connection with the server was reset
    ">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="error" text="Could not make an HTTP
    connection.">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="error" text="Could not make an HTTPS
    connection.">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="error" text="Could not make an FTP connection.">

    </trace>
    </rootCause>
    </component>
    <component name="Network Adapter Diagnostic"
    startDiagnosisTime="06/08/09 12:19:37">

    <rootCause name="Network location detection" status="reject">

    <trace traceType="info" text="Using home Internet connection">

    </trace>
    </rootCause>
    <rootCause name="Network adapter identification" status="reject">

    <trace traceType="info" text="Network connection: Name=Local
    Area Connection, Device=Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller,
    MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="info" text="Network connection: Name=Wireless
    Network Connection, Device=Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card,
    MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="info" text="Network connection: Name=1394
    Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="info" text="Network connection: Name=3G
    Connection, Device=Conexant D480 MDC V.9x Modem, MediaType=PHONE,
    SubMediaType=NONE">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="info" text="Both Ethernet and Wireless
    connections available, prompting user for selection">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="action" text="User input required: Select
    network connection">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="info" text="Wireless connection selected">

    </trace>
    </rootCause>
    <rootCause name="Network adapter status" status="reject">

    <trace traceType="info" text="Network connection status:
    Connected">

    </trace>
    </rootCause>
    </component>
    <component name="WinSock Diagnostic" startDiagnosisTime="06/08/09
    12:20:21">

    <rootCause name="WinSock status" status="confirm">

    <trace traceType="info" text="All base service provider entries
    are present in the Winsock catalog.">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="info" text="The Winsock Service provider
    chains are valid.">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="error" text="Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip
    [TCP/IP] could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10049.">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="error" text="Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip
    [UDP/IP] could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10049.">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="error" text="Provider entry RSVP UDP Service
    Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10049.">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="error" text="Provider entry RSVP TCP Service
    Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10049.">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="error" text="A connectivity problem exists
    with an installed LSP.">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="action" text="Automated repair: Reset WinSock
    catalog">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="action" text="Successfully executed: netsh
    winsock reset catalog">

    </trace>
    <trace traceType="info" text="System restart required">

    </trace>
    </rootCause>
    </component>
    </xpnetdiag>

    Meg, Jun 8, 2009

  3. Meg

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    If some thing in the file system related to Network has been corrupted
    reinstalling the OS might solve the problem.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack-MVP, Jun 9, 2009
  4. Meg

    Pavel A. Guest

    Meg wrote:
    > I recently had a hard drive crash and had to rebuild my computer. I am
    > running XP Pro and SP3. I am having issues connecting to the internet,
    > appears to be this computer only. It happens on both Firefox and IE8. About
    > every 30 minutes I cannot connect. I get a network diagnostics error. I run
    > that and it says I have to rebuild my winsock and reboot which I let it do
    > and I get another 30 minutes of work in. I downloaded the guide me for a
    > corrupt winsock and ran that and it said I had a corrupt winsock. I went
    > through the fix but it is still happening. I am afraid I am about to be
    > fired as I work from my home and cannot work long before hitting the problem.
    >
    > If I new where the diagnostic report was stored, I'd post it but I can't
    > find where that is stored.
    >
    > My son just threw up his hands and went Mac, I'm about to join him. Don't
    > want to but have been unable to find any help for this. Ugggghhhhh!

    If you depend on this computer for your work, why not get a professional
    to fix it and scan for malware? Even if you buy a new PC, it's cheaper
    than a Mac.
    Or... ok, go buy Mac.

    -- pa
    Pavel A., Jun 9, 2009