WINS push/pull replication

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by David K, Apr 27, 2004.

  1. David K

    David K Guest

    I've gone over the WINS push/pull partner information in the MSPress
    and Sybex books, but I'm still unclear on it. I couldn't find general
    explanation of WINS in the KB.

    As I understand it, a push partner can send notifications of new
    versions so that the pull partner knows to retrieve them. But why is
    there a need for push partners at all if you're only doing pull
    replication (at specified intervals only) and not using push traps?

    MS's book gives a question where at one spot there are two WINS
    servers, in Charlotte and Atlanta, connected by an ISDN line. The
    correct configuration it gives involves making Charlotte a push
    partner and Atlanta a pull partner. That'll get replication to
    Atlanta, but what about when Atlanta has a new version that it needs
    replicated? No other sites are connected to Atlanta. Does this make
    sense?

    Thanks,
    Dave

    David K, Apr 27, 2004

  2. David K

    Jose Saamuel Guest

    "David K" <> wrote in message
    > I've gone over the WINS push/pull partner information in the MSPress
    > and Sybex books, but I'm still unclear on it. I couldn't find general
    > explanation of WINS in the KB.
    >
    > As I understand it, a push partner can send notifications of new
    > versions so that the pull partner knows to retrieve them. But why is
    > there a need for push partners at all if you're only doing pull
    > replication (at specified intervals only) and not using push traps?

    You have to know where to pull from (push server)....cost of the
    connection, time of day etc. for the replication to occur.

    > MS's book gives a question where at one spot there are two WINS
    > servers, in Charlotte and Atlanta, connected by an ISDN line. The
    > correct configuration it gives involves making Charlotte a push
    > partner and Atlanta a pull partner. That'll get replication to
    > Atlanta, but what about when Atlanta has a new version that it needs
    > replicated? No other sites are connected to Atlanta. Does this make
    > sense?

    The atlanta site probably does not cater to any other sites so info on the
    atlanta wins server need not be replicated to other servers since all
    atlanta subnet resolution will be on the local server.

    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    At least thats what i think.....
    Jose CCNA MCP MCSE-M MCSE-S