    minimize each of your open windows, which takes a long time if you have a
    lot open.

    Thanks!

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    news:...

    also, does anyone know if it is possible to update WinPatrol or HijackThis,
    like one updates SpyBot or Ad-Aware?

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004

  3. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >
    > also, does anyone know if it is possible to update WinPatrol or

    HijackThis,
    > like one updates SpyBot or Ad-Aware?

    and is WinPatrol, or Spyware Blaster, a background hog?

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  4. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:24:34 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >1) Does anyone know what is the quickest way to access your Windows XP
    >desktop? Right now, I go to Start > My Computer, and then keep clicking up
    >until I get to the desktop. You have to realize, I was until just recently a
    >Mac user, and it was easy to access your desktop on Macs: just click on it!

    That's exactly how you do it; it's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES!

    >2) Does anyone know how to activate the WinPatrol window operating in the
    >background? It is on the desktop, but clicking until you get to your desktop
    >does not allow you to get to WinPatrol. Nor does clicking on it in the Start
    >menu if it is already running. The only way I know how is to manually
    >minimize each of your open windows, which takes a long time if you have a
    >lot open.

    Double click the scotty dog in the System Tray.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004
  5. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:33:16 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >
    >also, does anyone know if it is possible to update WinPatrol or HijackThis,
    >like one updates SpyBot or Ad-Aware?

    Visit the web sites; they don't have auto updaters.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004
  6. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:34:23 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >> "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> also, does anyone know if it is possible to update WinPatrol or

    >HijackThis,
    >> like one updates SpyBot or Ad-Aware?
    >>

    >and is WinPatrol, or Spyware Blaster, a background hog?

    Absolutely not.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004
  7. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:24:34 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >
    > >1) Does anyone know what is the quickest way to access your Windows XP
    > >desktop? Right now, I go to Start > My Computer, and then keep clicking

    up
    > >until I get to the desktop. You have to realize, I was until just

    recently a
    > >Mac user, and it was easy to access your desktop on Macs: just click on

    it!

    > That's exactly how you do it; it's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES!

    I tried clicking everywhere, but with no luck. My windows are all full size,
    so this blocks me from clicking on the desktop without minimizing the
    windows first.

    > >2) Does anyone know how to activate the WinPatrol window operating in the
    > >background? It is on the desktop, but clicking until you get to your

    desktop
    > >does not allow you to get to WinPatrol. Nor does clicking on it in the

    Start
    > >menu if it is already running. The only way I know how is to manually
    > >minimize each of your open windows, which takes a long time if you have a
    > >lot open.

    > Double click the scotty dog in the System Tray.

    Perfect!

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  8. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:51:47 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> That's exactly how you do it; it's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES!
    >>

    >I tried clicking everywhere, but with no luck. My windows are all full size,
    >so this blocks me from clicking on the desktop without minimizing the
    >windows first.

    You have an icon in your QuickLaunch toolbar called "Show Desktop".
    Click it to minimize all windows. Alternatively, press the "Windows"
    key +M .

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004
  9. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:51:47 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> That's exactly how you do it; it's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES!
    > >>

    > >I tried clicking everywhere, but with no luck. My windows are all full

    size,
    > >so this blocks me from clicking on the desktop without minimizing the
    > >windows first.

    > You have an icon in your QuickLaunch toolbar called "Show Desktop".

    Actually I don't. I just checked. Do you know how to add this?

    > Click it to minimize all windows. Alternatively, press the "Windows"
    > key +M .

    wow, that was fun! didn;t know it could be that easy.

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  10. Julie P.

    Boomer Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote:

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    >> Click it to minimize all windows. Alternatively, press the
    >> "Windows" key +M .

    > wow, that was fun! didn;t know it could be that easy.

    Since you use Google so much you might want to search for Windows XP
    shortcuts.

    Boomer, Jun 19, 2004
  11. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:41:56 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> You have an icon in your QuickLaunch toolbar called "Show Desktop".

    >Actually I don't. I just checked. Do you know how to add this?

    Open Notepad and copy/paste the following into it,
    NOT including the lines beginning **** :

    **** <--- Omit this line
    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3

    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

    **** <--- Omit this line

    Save the above file as "Show Desktop.scf" , without the quotes.
    Place it in:

    WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\QuickLaunch

    or drag it to your QuickLaunch bar.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004
  12. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > "Julie P." <> wrote:
    >
    > > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > [snip]
    >
    > >> Click it to minimize all windows. Alternatively, press the
    > >> "Windows" key +M .

    > > wow, that was fun! didn;t know it could be that easy.

    > Since you use Google so much you might want to search for Windows XP
    > shortcuts.

    I found the official list:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301583

    but it didn't have the one above that Mike mentioned.

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  13. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > "Julie P." <> wrote:
    >
    > > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > [snip]
    >
    > >> Click it to minimize all windows. Alternatively, press the
    > >> "Windows" key +M .

    > > wow, that was fun! didn;t know it could be that easy.

    > Since you use Google so much you might want to search for Windows XP
    > shortcuts.

    in the olden days of DOS 5.0, they used to give you an overlay for your
    keyboard, telling you all the "F" keys shortcuts.

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  14. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:41:56 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >
    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> You have an icon in your QuickLaunch toolbar called "Show Desktop".

    > >Actually I don't. I just checked. Do you know how to add this?

    > Open Notepad and copy/paste the following into it,
    > NOT including the lines beginning **** :
    >

    > **** <--- Omit this line
    > [Shell]
    > Command=2
    > IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    >
    > [Taskbar]
    > Command=ToggleDesktop
    >
    > **** <--- Omit this line
    >

    > Save the above file as "Show Desktop.scf" , without the quotes.
    > Place it in:
    >
    > WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\QuickLaunch

    Thanks! I just checked though, and in the Microsoft Folder, there is no
    "Internet Explorer" folder. Just "Address Book".

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  15. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:17:26 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    http://members.aol.com/mswebbie/keyboard.htm
    http://www.stoicjoker.com/ShortCutKeys.html
    http://www.out-loud.com/keyboard_shortcuts_for_windows_95.html
    http://www.fastq.com/~fcarden/ShortCuts/Ms_IE_and_OE ShortCuts.html

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004
  16. Julie P.

    Boomer Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> "Julie P." <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> [snip]

    >> > wow, that was fun! didn;t know it could be that easy.

    >> Since you use Google so much you might want to search for
    >> Windows XP shortcuts.

    > I found the official list:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301583
    >
    > but it didn't have the one above that Mike mentioned.

    There's a few more around.

    Here's some link you might like:

    http://www.aumha.org/
    http://www.tomsterdam.com/
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/
    http://www.compu-help.us/
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/cust-idx.html
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/xp_fixes.html
    http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/hottips.shtml
    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/
    http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/winxp/
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
    http://www.pcbuyersguide.com/software/system/WinXP-tips.html
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_tips.asp
    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/
    http://members.aol.com/axcel216/wxp.htm

    Boomer, Jun 19, 2004
  17. Julie P.

    Boomer Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> "Julie P." <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> [snip]

    >> > wow, that was fun! didn;t know it could be that easy.

    >> Since you use Google so much you might want to search for
    >> Windows XP shortcuts.
    >>

    > in the olden days of DOS 5.0, they used to give you an overlay
    > for your keyboard, telling you all the "F" keys shortcuts.

    I still have mine.. somewhere! :)

    Boomer, Jun 19, 2004
  18. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:23:53 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:41:56 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Julie P. scrawled:
    >>
    >> >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> <snip>

    >> >Actually I don't. I just checked. Do you know how to add this?

    >> Open Notepad and copy/paste the following into it,
    >> NOT including the lines beginning **** :
    >>

    >> **** <--- Omit this line
    >> [Shell]
    >> Command=2
    >> IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    >>
    >> [Taskbar]
    >> Command=ToggleDesktop
    >>
    >> **** <--- Omit this line
    >>

    >> Save the above file as "Show Desktop.scf" , without the quotes.
    >> Place it in:
    >>
    >> WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\QuickLaunch

    >Thanks! I just checked though, and in the Microsoft Folder, there is no
    >"Internet Explorer" folder. Just "Address Book".

    Your system is NOT how it should be. I don't know
    what else you've been doing to it; I remember you
    saying how you'd moved this, and that. I suggest
    you back up your data, address book, etc. and
    reformat and start from scratch. And if/when you
    do, don't mess with things you don't understand;
    check with somebody, or post here first.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004
  19. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  20. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:43:59 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:17:26 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Julie P. scrawled:

    >> >but it didn't have the one above that Mike mentioned.

    >> http://members.aol.com/mswebbie/keyboard.htm
    >> http://www.stoicjoker.com/ShortCutKeys.html
    >> http://www.out-loud.com/keyboard_shortcuts_for_windows_95.html
    >> http://www.fastq.com/~fcarden/ShortCuts/Ms_IE_and_OE ShortCuts.html
    >>

    >Thanks! My bookmark file is growing larger by the day.

    Just DON'T PUT THEM IN LINKS!!!

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004