WINNT.sif - two main errors

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by DebB, Sep 3, 2006.

  1. DebB

    DebB Guest

    Hey all. I'm ready to give up on ever being able to boot from a diskette,
    then perform an unattended install via the CD...... :-(

    I get either of two errors on both test machines -
    Could not find a place for the swap file
    OR
    Insufficient memory
    and the error depends on the config for the bootdisk autoexec.bat.
    I've tried emm386.exe (the later version without the conflict to himem.sys)
    and himem.sys which both cause the systems to freeze.

    This exercise has held me up no end and I've had to move on a couple of
    times without resolving it. Now I'm almost ready to take my 70-270 exam and
    find myself totally confused about unattended installs and what actually
    makes them work.

    Please help me if you can. I'm ready to concede and would gratefully accept
    an example of a bootdisk and winnt.bat that actually work. I just need to see
    where I've been going wrong.... continually.

    Here are examples of my most recent attempt - autoexec, config and the
    winnt.bat formatted on WinXP for 'MS DOS startup'.

    BOOTDISK -
    config.sys
    device=oakcdrom.sys /D:eek:emcd001

    autoexec.bat
    LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:eek:emcd001 /L:D
    LH smartdrv.exe /x
    winnt

    Winnt.bat
    d:/
    cd i386
    winnt /s:d:\i386\winnt.exe /unattend:a:\winnt.sif /copysource:lang

    It goes without saying that any of the files that I've attempted to include
    in the config & auto, on the bootdiskette, have also been included on the
    disk :) such as himem.sys and emm386.exe etc

    ANY help, ANY at all, would be truly appreciated.
    --
    DebB - MCDST

    DebB, Sep 3, 2006

  2. DebB

    Jack Guest

    Hey,

    Have tried just putting the answer file, as winnt.sif on a floppy disk
    (nothing else on the floppy), and then starting the installation from the CD
    with the floppy disk in your computer?

    When you start the installation, the installation will look at your floppy
    disk in the beginning, and if it finds a file named winnt.sif it will use
    that as answer file.

    You don't need that batch file for that, when you just boot from the CD.

    Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong,

    Jack

    Jack, Sep 3, 2006

  3. DebB

    DebB Guest

    Thankyou for your reply Jack, and you're 100% correct, it should work.....
    but up until now I've been trying too hard. Your solution WORKED and I just
    needed to go back to basics.

    I swear that I had tried just the winnt.sif on it's own before..... but
    obviously not. This was the only way it was ever going to work and I thank
    you.

    I've read so much that I completely lost sight of the simple way in which
    the system is intended to function I'm very grateful to you.

    DebB
    --
    DebB - MCDST

    DebB, Sep 4, 2006