WINNT.SIF Not Being Recognized

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Guest, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    automated install from
    >CD using a winnt.sif file. According to my QUE study

    book, when the system
    >boots from the CD drive, if no operating system is found

    on the drive, it
    >looks for winnt.sif in the root folder of a:. I used

    Setup Manager to
    >create an unattend.txt file and then renamed it to

    winnt.sif.

    >I found this strange that setupmgr named the file

    unattend.txt when what is
    >needed (according to the book) is winnt.sif. The book

    didn't mention
    >anything about renaming the file.
    >
    >Anyway, I placed the floppy in the drive and changed the

    BIOS to boot from
    >the XP CD, and it never read the file. It accessed the

    floppy drive but
    >seemed to ignore the setup file. I also changed the name

    back to
    >unattend.txt and that didn't make a difference either.
    >
    >According to www.networkclue.com, you need to insert the

    floppy shortly
    >after the bootup starts. This seems rather cumbersome

    and tricky.

    >Has anyone else encountered this?
    >

    >.
    >i,ve never had this problem but all i did was to insert

    the floppy and the xp cd when the pc was turned off and
    then booted. it worked just fine . just go over the
    process again and keep your fingers crossed.

    Guest, Apr 11, 2005