    any reference to this file on microsoft.com or by google.

    Does anyone know how to look for what appears to be a super-hidden
    file? Has anyone heard of this file?

    Ken Ward, Mar 29, 2006

  2. Ken Ward wrote:
    > Windows XP computer with current patches. For some time now, when
    > doing a defrag of the C: drive, the report at the end advises that
    > file C:\\windows\system\winmgjd.dll is fragmented in three parts &
    > cannot be moved.

    > I cannot find this file on my system.

    Could be:

    - you being unable to change the attributes of this file, not being able
    to configure explorer or using the 'dir' command
    - filesystem error (did you run chkdsk in before?)
    - cloaking

    > I cannot find any reference to this file on microsoft.com or by google.

    If this file doesn't belong to any software package you installed or
    Windows itself (clearly not), then your system has been compromised. If
    you want to do some forensics, make a backup of that partition and keep
    it somewhere. Then flatten and rebuild.

    > Does anyone know how to look for what appears to be a super-hidden
    > file? Has anyone heard of this file?

    Super-hidden files are usually attributes with $, are inside the
    namespace $MFT and limited to some very few predefined ones.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Mar 29, 2006