    any help would be much appreciated
    rgds
    Rob

    rob, Nov 10, 2003

  2. rob

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "rob" <> wrote in news:bontap$fat$:

    > Hi, this has got me going round in circles.
    > Has anyone ever seen this before or have any idea how to fix it?
    > Laptop running WinME
    > I plugged in a USB storage device, drivers were loaded, appears in My
    > Computer as a Removable Drive and all worked fine.
    > I rebooted, reconnected the USB device, it appears in Device manager
    > but not My Computer????
    >
    > This started happening with a Digital camera so I thought I'd try
    > another USB device as a test - both camera and USB drive work fine on
    > a W98 machine but not this ME one.
    >
    > If the ME machine is booted with either of the devices attached/turned
    > on it is recognised and works perfectly.
    >
    > any help would be much appreciated
    > rgds
    > Rob

    Long shot is this link as it goes on about having all your drive letters
    used up... unlikely.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266014
    &Product=winme

    More likely is this one:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288800
    &Product=winme
    which says at the bottom:
    "When you run the Add New Hardware Wizard, click Have Disk, and then
    click Browse, Commdlg.dll is called to display the Open file dialog box.
    Commdlg.dll does not display the floppy drive because System.drv does not
    report it as a valid drive. System.drv does not report the drive to be
    valid if the BIOS did not report the floppy drive during system
    initialization by using the INT 11h (equipment check) interface. Note
    that if a floppy disk drive is attached to the computer and reported by
    the BIOS when the computer starts, this problem does not occur. This
    problem is more likely to occur with a computer that does not contain a
    built-in floppy drive controller."

    There is an update available.
    If that is all that is wrong with the ME system, I would just connect and
    restart so you have a fresh memory pool to work with.

    Hope this helps, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 10, 2003

  3. rob

    rob Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "rob" <> wrote in news:bontap$fat$:
    >
    > > Hi, this has got me going round in circles.
    > > Has anyone ever seen this before or have any idea how to fix it?
    > > Laptop running WinME
    > > I plugged in a USB storage device, drivers were loaded, appears in My
    > > Computer as a Removable Drive and all worked fine.
    > > I rebooted, reconnected the USB device, it appears in Device manager
    > > but not My Computer????
    > >
    > > This started happening with a Digital camera so I thought I'd try
    > > another USB device as a test - both camera and USB drive work fine on
    > > a W98 machine but not this ME one.
    > >
    > > If the ME machine is booted with either of the devices attached/turned
    > > on it is recognised and works perfectly.
    > >
    > > any help would be much appreciated
    > > rgds
    > > Rob
    > >

    > Long shot is this link as it goes on about having all your drive letters
    > used up... unlikely.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266014
    > &Product=winme
    >
    > More likely is this one:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288800
    > &Product=winme
    > which says at the bottom:
    > "When you run the Add New Hardware Wizard, click Have Disk, and then
    > click Browse, Commdlg.dll is called to display the Open file dialog box.
    > Commdlg.dll does not display the floppy drive because System.drv does not
    > report it as a valid drive. System.drv does not report the drive to be
    > valid if the BIOS did not report the floppy drive during system
    > initialization by using the INT 11h (equipment check) interface. Note
    > that if a floppy disk drive is attached to the computer and reported by
    > the BIOS when the computer starts, this problem does not occur. This
    > problem is more likely to occur with a computer that does not contain a
    > built-in floppy drive controller."
    >
    > There is an update available.
    > If that is all that is wrong with the ME system, I would just connect and
    > restart so you have a fresh memory pool to work with.
    >
    > Hope this helps, Dave

    Thanks for taking the time Dave,

    I'd seen the first KB document too - but it wasn't that - you're right it
    does seem pretty unlikely you'd ever be in that situation.
    I'll check the next one out now - although I did think these USB pen drive
    thingies were supposed to be hot pluggable.
    I'll let you know how I get on.
    thanks for the suggestions
    rgds
    Rob

    rob, Nov 10, 2003
  4. rob wrote:

    > Hi, this has got me going round in circles.
    > Has anyone ever seen this before or have any idea how to fix it?
    > Laptop running WinME
    > I plugged in a USB storage device, drivers were loaded, appears in My
    > Computer as a Removable Drive and all worked fine.
    > I rebooted, reconnected the USB device, it appears in Device manager but not
    > My Computer????

    I have had this happen in the past, typing the drive letter into the address bar
    still works however.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Nov 11, 2003
  5. rob

    rob Guest

    Re: WinME USB weirdness - sorted

    "rob" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, this has got me going round in circles.
    > Has anyone ever seen this before or have any idea how to fix it?
    > Laptop running WinME
    > I plugged in a USB storage device, drivers were loaded, appears in My
    > Computer as a Removable Drive and all worked fine.
    > I rebooted, reconnected the USB device, it appears in Device manager but

    not
    > My Computer????
    >
    > This started happening with a Digital camera so I thought I'd try another
    > USB device as a test - both camera and USB drive work fine on a W98

    machine
    > but not this ME one.
    >
    > If the ME machine is booted with either of the devices attached/turned on

    it
    > is recognised and works perfectly.
    >
    > any help would be much appreciated
    > rgds
    > Rob

    Finally got this sorted...
    thanks Dave and Richard for your suggestions.

    If anyones interested here's what I did.
    - uninstalled all camera drivers and software
    - disabled (msconfig) all non-essential startup progs
    - restarted in safe mode and removed all camera related items from device
    manager
    - restarted and installed camera usb driver
    - turned on the camera - found new hardware and installed drivers
    - unchecked Int13 unit on the settings tab on the camera device under Disk
    Drives in device mgr
    - restarted with the camera turned on - camera detected and drive letter
    assigned
    - restarted with the camera off, turned it on - camera detected and drive
    letter assigned.

    I suspect it was partially to do with some Kodak software that had been
    installed.

    rob, Nov 11, 2003
  6. rob

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "rob" <> wrote in news:borqfj$7v4$:

    > "rob" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, this has got me going round in circles.
    >> Has anyone ever seen this before or have any idea how to fix it?
    >> Laptop running WinME
    >> I plugged in a USB storage device, drivers were loaded, appears in My
    >> Computer as a Removable Drive and all worked fine.
    >> I rebooted, reconnected the USB device, it appears in Device manager
    >> but

    > not
    >> My Computer????
    >>
    >> This started happening with a Digital camera so I thought I'd try
    >> another USB device as a test - both camera and USB drive work fine on
    >> a W98

    > machine
    >> but not this ME one.
    >>
    >> If the ME machine is booted with either of the devices
    >> attached/turned on

    > it
    >> is recognised and works perfectly.
    >>
    >> any help would be much appreciated
    >> rgds
    >> Rob
    >>

    > Finally got this sorted...
    > thanks Dave and Richard for your suggestions.
    >
    > If anyones interested here's what I did.
    > - uninstalled all camera drivers and software
    > - disabled (msconfig) all non-essential startup progs
    > - restarted in safe mode and removed all camera related items from
    > device manager
    > - restarted and installed camera usb driver
    > - turned on the camera - found new hardware and installed drivers
    > - unchecked Int13 unit on the settings tab on the camera device under
    > Disk Drives in device mgr
    > - restarted with the camera turned on - camera detected and drive
    > letter assigned
    > - restarted with the camera off, turned it on - camera detected and
    > drive letter assigned.
    >
    > I suspect it was partially to do with some Kodak software that had
    > been installed.

    Glad that you got it sorted out. Thanks for the feedback to the group.
    Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 11, 2003