    month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
    THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C

    ---
    fredcromer, May 4, 2004

  2. fredcromer

    philo Guest

    "fredcromer" <> wrote in message
    news:4097e2cb$...
    > I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz

    CPU....would
    > it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from W98 a
    > month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
    > THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C

    actually, you were probably better of with win98
    64megs of ram is fine for win98 ...a bit too little for winME and no where
    near enough for XP

    if your winME is running OK...just leave it
    otherewise...i'd stick with win98
    philo, May 4, 2004

  3. fredcromer

    Rifleman Guest

    > I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz

    CPU....would
    > it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from W98 a
    > month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
    > THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C

    Yes, but not with your current machine specs particularly the RAM. Although
    MS reccommend a minimum of 12kMB RAM, you will find that 256 and even
    better, 512 MB will give you MUCH better performance.
    Have a look here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.asp
    Rifleman, May 4, 2004
  4. "fredcromer" <> wrote in message
    > I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz

    CPU....would
    > it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from W98

    Moving from Win98 to Win ME is not an upgrade. It's a mistake.

    As far as XP goes, not on that box. You don't have enough memory, hard drive
    or CPU horsepower. I'd install Win98 (or 98SE) with all updates, "steal" the
    defrag utility from WinME and leave it there.
    Oxford Systems, May 4, 2004
  5. fredcromer

    John Guest

    In article <4097e2cb$>, fredcromer
    <> wrote:

    > I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz CPU....would
    > it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from W98 a
    > month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
    > THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C

    Not with 64 MB RAM; but add a good stick of RAM when you do it, and I'd
    say yes.
    John, May 4, 2004
  6. fredcromer

    Steve Guest

    > I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz

    CPU....would
    > it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from

    W98 a
    > month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
    > THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C
    >

    > ---

    I don't think that spec will take XP!
    See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/sysreqs.asp
    Steve, May 4, 2004
  7. "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > "fredcromer" <> wrote in message
    > > I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz

    > CPU....would
    > > it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from

    > W98 a
    > > month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
    > > THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C
    > >

    > > ---
    > >

    > I don't think that spec will take XP!
    > See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/sysreqs.asp

    Nah. If he adds some RAM his box will likely run XP. Just not very well.
    Oxford Systems, May 4, 2004
  8. fredcromer

    Unknown Guest

    With a 4 gig drive?? Forget it.

    Unknown, May 4, 2004
  9. fredcromer

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Tue, 4 May 2004 19:37:29 +0100, "fredcromer"
    <> wrote:

    >I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz CPU....would
    >it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from W98 a
    >month ago

    No. In fact, "upgrading" to ME from 98 was not a terribly good move
    itself.

    >....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
    >THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C

    Well, XP won't crash nearly as often, and it won't be unsupported by
    new hardware and software being released, and it won't have already
    exceeded MS's retirement date for mainstream support...

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, May 4, 2004
  10. fredcromer

    Hamman Guest

    > I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz

    CPU....would
    > it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from W98 a
    > month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
    > THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C

    Well i've had XP running on a P200 clocked to 233MHz with a 1.2Gb HDD and
    64Mb of blisteringly fast EDO ram (clocked to 66MHz)
    It just about coped with it, with no animations or graphics; hope you like <
    800x600

    I would stick with 98SE

    hamman
    Hamman, May 4, 2004
  11. Hamman wrote:

    > "fredcromer" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an old computer with a 4 gig HD, 64 MB RAM, and a 333Mhz

    > CPU....would
    >> it be a good move to upgrade now!, to 'XP' seeing as i upgraded from W98 a
    >> month ago....is there anything XP can't or won't do that WinME will??
    >> THANKS....and all the Best.....FRED C

    > Well i've had XP running on a P200 clocked to 233MHz with a 1.2Gb HDD and
    > 64Mb of blisteringly fast EDO ram (clocked to 66MHz)
    > It just about coped with it, with no animations or graphics; hope you like <
    > 800x600

    > I would stick with 98SE

    Not from WinME, like has, you wouldn't.

    MS *should* make an ME->98 upgrader, though. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 4892F
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    Blinky the Shark, May 5, 2004