    Any help on this would save me from doing something I will regret.

    tia
    Rob
    rob, Oct 14, 2003

  2. rob

    Scott Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:14:52 +1300, rob wrote:

    > Hi, this is about to send me over the edge....
    >
    > Trying to find a driver for a Power Quotient PCMCIA 56K Fax modem for a
    > laptop running WinME and everything I try reports no dial tone.
    > (unfortunately I don't have the original driver)

    I've found www.driverguide.com fairly useful for getting modem drivers.
    - Scott
    Scott, Oct 14, 2003

  3. rob

    rob Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:14:52 +1300, rob wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, this is about to send me over the edge....
    > >
    > > Trying to find a driver for a Power Quotient PCMCIA 56K Fax modem for a
    > > laptop running WinME and everything I try reports no dial tone.
    > > (unfortunately I don't have the original driver)

    > I've found www.driverguide.com fairly useful for getting modem drivers.
    > - Scott

    Thanks Scott

    I've had a pretty good hunt around there and although they mention PQI they
    have no modem drivers for them :-(
    Win ME reports the card as PCMCIA Card Member FM56R-NF, I found a driver
    purporting to be for this but still no luck!!
    I'm thinking it's a WinME issue

    cheers
    Rob
    rob, Oct 14, 2003
  4. rob

    SharkFOA Guest

    "rob" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, this is about to send me over the edge....
    >
    > Trying to find a driver for a Power Quotient PCMCIA 56K Fax modem for a
    > laptop running WinME and everything I try reports no dial tone.
    > (unfortunately I don't have the original driver)
    > Tested the modem and cable in a W98 laptop using the Standard PCMCIA Modem
    > driver and it works fine.
    >
    > On the back of the card it says 56K Rockwell K56Flex, V.34 & V.80
    >
    > Any help on this would save me from doing something I will regret.

    Go to www.drivermagic.co.nz and d/l Driver Wizard. It'll run and correctly
    identify your modem. Upload the resulys and you get one free download of a
    driver.

    --
    SharkFOA
    SharkFOA, Oct 14, 2003
  5. rob

    rob Guest

    "SharkFOA" <> wrote in message news:...

    > "rob" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, this is about to send me over the edge....
    > >
    > > Trying to find a driver for a Power Quotient PCMCIA 56K Fax modem for a
    > > laptop running WinME and everything I try reports no dial tone.
    > > (unfortunately I don't have the original driver)
    > > Tested the modem and cable in a W98 laptop using the Standard PCMCIA

    Modem
    > > driver and it works fine.
    > >
    > > On the back of the card it says 56K Rockwell K56Flex, V.34 & V.80
    > >
    > > Any help on this would save me from doing something I will regret.

    > Go to www.drivermagic.co.nz and d/l Driver Wizard. It'll run and correctly
    > identify your modem. Upload the resulys and you get one free download of a
    > driver.
    >

    > --
    > SharkFOA

    Thanks SharkFOA, trying it right now
    Rob
    rob, Oct 14, 2003
  6. rob

    SharkFOA Guest

    > > "rob" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi, this is about to send me over the edge....
    > > >
    > > > Trying to find a driver for a Power Quotient PCMCIA 56K Fax modem for

    > > > laptop running WinME and everything I try reports no dial tone.
    > > > (unfortunately I don't have the original driver)
    > > > Tested the modem and cable in a W98 laptop using the Standard PCMCIA

    > Modem
    > > > driver and it works fine.
    > > >
    > > > On the back of the card it says 56K Rockwell K56Flex, V.34 & V.80
    > > >
    > > > Any help on this would save me from doing something I will regret.

    > > Go to www.drivermagic.co.nz and d/l Driver Wizard. It'll run and

    correctly
    > > identify your modem. Upload the resulys and you get one free download of

    > > driver.
    > >

    > > --
    > > SharkFOA
    > >

    > Thanks SharkFOA, trying it right now

    I find the software excellent and purchased it. Oh, and you're welcome.

    --
    SharkFOA
    SharkFOA, Oct 14, 2003
  7. rob

    rob Guest

    > > "rob" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi, this is about to send me over the edge....
    > > >
    > > > Trying to find a driver for a Power Quotient PCMCIA 56K Fax modem for

    > > > laptop running WinME and everything I try reports no dial tone.
    > > > (unfortunately I don't have the original driver)
    > > > Tested the modem and cable in a W98 laptop using the Standard PCMCIA

    > Modem
    > > > driver and it works fine.
    > > >
    > > > On the back of the card it says 56K Rockwell K56Flex, V.34 & V.80
    > > >
    > > > Any help on this would save me from doing something I will regret.

    > > Go to www.drivermagic.co.nz and d/l Driver Wizard. It'll run and

    correctly
    > > identify your modem. Upload the resulys and you get one free download of

    > > driver.
    > >

    > > --
    > > SharkFOA
    > >

    > Thanks SharkFOA, trying it right now
    > Rob

    Very impressive, just my luck though that the only driver it didn't have on
    file was the one I was after for the modem.

    Any other ideas would be much appreciated folks.
    I'm struggling here. It just doesn't make sense to me, winme quite happily
    installs a driver I found for a FN56R-NF but no dial tone is detected.
    I stick it in a win98 laptop and 98 detects it as a PCMCIA Card
    Member-FN56R-NF, installs the standard pcmcia modem and it just works??
    I'm buggered if I know.
    rgds
    Rob
    rob, Oct 14, 2003
  8. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:46:19 +1300, "rob" <> wrote

    >"Scott" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:14:52 +1300, rob wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi, this is about to send me over the edge....
    >> >
    >> > Trying to find a driver for a Power Quotient PCMCIA 56K Fax modem for a
    >> > laptop running WinME and everything I try reports no dial tone.
    >> > (unfortunately I don't have the original driver)

    >> I've found www.driverguide.com fairly useful for getting modem drivers.
    >> - Scott

    >Thanks Scott
    >
    >I've had a pretty good hunt around there and although they mention PQI they
    >have no modem drivers for them :-(
    >Win ME reports the card as PCMCIA Card Member FM56R-NF, I found a driver
    >purporting to be for this but still no luck!!
    >I'm thinking it's a WinME issue

    It probably is, WIN ME has a lot of issues.
    Erika Musterfrau, Oct 14, 2003
  9. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:20:51 +1300, Erika Musterfrau
    <> wrote

    >On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:46:19 +1300, "rob" <> wrote
    >

    >>"Scott" <> wrote in message

    >>> I've found www.driverguide.com fairly useful for getting modem drivers.
    >>> - Scott

    >>Thanks Scott
    >>
    >>I've had a pretty good hunt around there and although they mention PQI they
    >>have no modem drivers for them :-(
    >>Win ME reports the card as PCMCIA Card Member FM56R-NF, I found a driver
    >>purporting to be for this but still no luck!!
    >>I'm thinking it's a WinME issue

    >It probably is, WIN ME has a lot of issues.

    Where can I get a
    Erika Musterfrau, Oct 14, 2003
  10. rob

    rob Guest

    Re: WinME Modem driver - FYI

    "rob" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, this is about to send me over the edge....
    >
    > Trying to find a driver for a Power Quotient PCMCIA 56K Fax modem for a
    > laptop running WinME and everything I try reports no dial tone.
    > (unfortunately I don't have the original driver)
    > Tested the modem and cable in a W98 laptop using the Standard PCMCIA Modem
    > driver and it works fine.
    >
    > On the back of the card it says 56K Rockwell K56Flex, V.34 & V.80
    >
    > Any help on this would save me from doing something I will regret.
    >
    > tia
    > Rob

    Thanks for all suggestions etc.
    I feel like a bit of a dork now, it wasa hardware problem,
    I finally got it to work in the winme laptop by fiddling with the lead to
    the PCcard (after chanting a bit and promising my first born to the devil).
    weird that it worked perfectly every time in the win98 machine though (even
    at 3am this morning... bollocks and buggery!)
    rob
    rob, Oct 14, 2003
  11. In article <bmfhpl$ka7$>, says...

    > Any other ideas would be much appreciated folks.
    > I'm struggling here. It just doesn't make sense to me, winme quite happily
    > installs a driver I found for a FN56R-NF but no dial tone is detected.
    > I stick it in a win98 laptop and 98 detects it as a PCMCIA Card
    > Member-FN56R-NF, installs the standard pcmcia modem and it just works??
    > I'm buggered if I know.
    > rgds

    One thing that comes to mind is: are you sure the port on the WinME
    machine is ok? Not full of peanut butter and ants maybe? You could try
    spraying some isopropanol into it (CRC CO Contact Spray)

    Other than that I would experiment with Win98 drivers, force an install
    of the standard driver or "format c:\"

    (I loathe WinME ... usually end up replacing it with '98)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 14, 2003
  12. rob

    rob Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bmfhpl$ka7$>, says...
    > >
    > > Any other ideas would be much appreciated folks.
    > > I'm struggling here. It just doesn't make sense to me, winme quite

    happily
    > > installs a driver I found for a FN56R-NF but no dial tone is detected.
    > > I stick it in a win98 laptop and 98 detects it as a PCMCIA Card
    > > Member-FN56R-NF, installs the standard pcmcia modem and it just works??
    > > I'm buggered if I know.
    > > rgds

    > One thing that comes to mind is: are you sure the port on the WinME
    > machine is ok? Not full of peanut butter and ants maybe? You could try
    > spraying some isopropanol into it (CRC CO Contact Spray)
    >
    > Other than that I would experiment with Win98 drivers, force an install
    > of the standard driver or "format c:\"
    >
    > (I loathe WinME ... usually end up replacing it with '98)
    >
    > -P.

    Good point, as it turns out it was hardware
    - the whole card seemed to wiggle in the slot a bit.
    On closer inspection it looked like the card had been dropped on its corner
    at some stage.

    I too am learning to loath ME,

    thanks and rgds
    rob
    rob, Oct 14, 2003
  13. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:20:51 +1300, Erika Musterfrau wrote:

    > It probably is, WIN ME has a lot of issues.

    This seems to be deliberate as a policy to force people to move to w2k
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 14, 2003