    Also on most occasions computer will not log off and has to be turned off by
    holding down button

    any ideas?
    MiniEmma, May 4, 2004

  2. MiniEmma

    slumpy Guest

    It was only the fire burning through the trees that stopped MiniEmma from
    going on all night...

    > my dad has this error on starting up his pc
    >
    > he has windows ME

    Says it all really....
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, May 4, 2004

  3. MiniEmma

    °Mike° Guest

    <Program> Causes Invalid Page Fault Error in Msvcrt.dll
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192123

    On Tue, 4 May 2004 15:08:02 +0000 (UTC), in
    <c78bki$qsk$>
    MiniEmma scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 4, 2004
  4. MiniEmma

    MiniEmma Guest

    Thanks Mike

    I had found that page but it said it was for 98 not ME but i may try it out
    anyway as it's the only thing that seems to make sense so far.

    xx

    MiniEmma, May 5, 2004
  5. MiniEmma

    Boomer Guest

    "MiniEmma" <> did say:

    > Thanks Mike
    >
    > I had found that page but it said it was for 98 not ME but i may
    > try it out anyway as it's the only thing that seems to make sense
    > so far.

    Win 98 and ME are nearly twins. It should work.

    Boomer, May 5, 2004
  6. MiniEmma

    MiniEmma Guest

    it didn't work :(

    shame

    back to google i go

    MiniEmma, May 5, 2004
  7. MiniEmma

    °Mike° Guest

    It also applies to Windows ME.

    Availability of the Microsoft Libraries Update
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221946

    * Microsoft Windows 98
    * Microsoft Windows 95
    * Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
    * Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

    On Wed, 5 May 2004 08:41:04 +0000 (UTC), in
    <c7a9b0$345$>
    MiniEmma scrawled:

    >Thanks Mike
    >
    >I had found that page but it said it was for 98 not ME but i may try it out
    >anyway as it's the only thing that seems to make sense so far.
    >
    >xx

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 5, 2004
  8. MiniEmma

    MiniEmma Guest

    thanks again mike, but it didn't work

    is there a way of repairing winlogon - was thinking about deleting that
    admin logon and making a new one - but how do i do that and still keep all
    his files that are behind his password?

    next time i am in front of his pc i will trouble shoot a little, maybe turn
    pc on and press escape to by[ass logon and see if error still exists -
    getting sick of being telephone support for him coz he doesn't understand
    what i'm asking him to do.

    regards to the experts ;)

    miniemma

    MiniEmma, May 5, 2004
  9. MiniEmma

    °Mike° Guest

    He installed the new Visual C Runtimes?
    If so, and he is still getting the same error, then
    I can't think what the problem might be -- perhaps
    he's installed some software recently, that
    precipitated this? Has he tried a system restore?

    On Wed, 5 May 2004 18:36:47 +0000 (UTC), in
    <c7bc7v$1s3$>
    MiniEmma scrawled:

    >thanks again mike, but it didn't work
    >
    >is there a way of repairing winlogon - was thinking about deleting that
    >admin logon and making a new one - but how do i do that and still keep all
    >his files that are behind his password?
    >
    >next time i am in front of his pc i will trouble shoot a little, maybe turn
    >pc on and press escape to by[ass logon and see if error still exists -
    >getting sick of being telephone support for him coz he doesn't understand
    >what i'm asking him to do.
    >
    >regards to the experts ;)
    >
    >miniemma

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 5, 2004
  10. MiniEmma

    MiniEmma Guest

    no he hasn't tried system restore - i'll give that a go next time i'm there,
    thanks

    he has just informed me that he had a load of viruses recently - i don't
    know how coz he has norton but there you go, but i'm not going to delve into
    what my dad may or may not have downloaded ??!! - so i better do a new virus
    scan for him and see if that could be the problem.

    MiniEmma, May 5, 2004
  11. Howdy!

    "MiniEmma" <> wrote in message
    > my dad has this error on starting up his pc
    >
    > winlogon has caused an error in MSVCRT.DLL
    >
    > he has windows ME

    If he has WinME, then he does not have Winlogon as a standard
    Windows program.

    First off is to do a formal virus scan, and a good adware / spyware
    scan.

    Check the archives for oMikeo's postings on the many good AV
    packages available over the web.

    > Also on most occasions computer will not log off and has to be turned off

    by
    > holding down button

    Most likely related .. something isn't letting go, probably the
    trojan.

    Ah. Google turns up
    http://www.kephyr.com/filedb/index.php?viewtopic=winlogon in the first four
    hits <B-)

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, May 6, 2004
  12. MiniEmma

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, May 6, 2004
  13. MiniEmma

    °Mike° Guest

    See Ralph's reply.

    On Wed, 5 May 2004 20:39:23 +0000 (UTC), in
    <c7bjdr$gcb$>
    MiniEmma scrawled:

    °Mike°, May 6, 2004
  14. MiniEmma

    MiniEmma Guest

    Thank You Ralph i think you cracked it for us :)

    deleted winlogon entries in c:/windows and in regsitry

    fingers crossed it lasts :)

    thanks again

    MiniEmma, May 11, 2004