winlogon.exe

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jay, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    I've been having troubles with my PC recently. Details below.
    At the moment when Windows starts the HDD chugs away for quite a while.
    I go into task manager and see that winlogon.exe is taking about 30% of the
    CPU.
    This goes on for about 3 minutes before it stops (this was never the case
    before).

    PC details:
    Standalone Win2k Pro.
    Always log on as same user.
    Very few TSRs (mainly Kerio firewall and AVG anti-virus)
    1.1GHz chip
    256MB RAM
    30GB W/D HDD (NTFS)

    PC Problem history:
    PC will hang (often) only resolution is the reset button.
    Happens regardless if I'm sitting at the PC. Happens regardless of what apps
    are running.
    Sometimes it won't happen for 2 hours, sometimes after 2 minutes.
    I wondered if it was a Windows problem but it has happened during POST.
    I have opened the case and given it a good blast of air to remove all dust.
    I have checked that all cards are seated.
    I've run chkdisk and scandisk - both report no problems.

    I'm wondering if the hanging and the lenghty winlogon process at windows
    start-up could be HDD related?
    Hanging because the HDD has responded badly to a read/write request.
    Winlogon.exe taking an age due to slow read/write?
    All guess work.

    Any ideas?
    Jay

    ---
    Yo! outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

    Jay, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Jay

    °Mike° Guest

    Check for overheating and bad RAM. Also, your suggestion
    about physical defects on the hard drive could also be a
    factor.

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:21:01 +1300, in
    <V5%Mb.11101$>
    Jay scrawled:

    >I've been having troubles with my PC recently. Details below.
    >At the moment when Windows starts the HDD chugs away for quite a while.
    >I go into task manager and see that winlogon.exe is taking about 30% of the
    >CPU.
    >This goes on for about 3 minutes before it stops (this was never the case
    >before).
    >
    >PC details:
    >Standalone Win2k Pro.
    >Always log on as same user.
    >Very few TSRs (mainly Kerio firewall and AVG anti-virus)
    >1.1GHz chip
    >256MB RAM
    >30GB W/D HDD (NTFS)
    >
    >PC Problem history:
    >PC will hang (often) only resolution is the reset button.
    >Happens regardless if I'm sitting at the PC. Happens regardless of what apps
    >are running.
    >Sometimes it won't happen for 2 hours, sometimes after 2 minutes.
    >I wondered if it was a Windows problem but it has happened during POST.
    >I have opened the case and given it a good blast of air to remove all dust.
    >I have checked that all cards are seated.
    >I've run chkdisk and scandisk - both report no problems.
    >
    >I'm wondering if the hanging and the lenghty winlogon process at windows
    >start-up could be HDD related?
    >Hanging because the HDD has responded badly to a read/write request.
    >Winlogon.exe taking an age due to slow read/write?
    >All guess work.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >Jay
    >

    >---
    >Yo! outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Check for overheating and bad RAM. Also, your suggestion
    > about physical defects on the hard drive could also be a
    > factor.

    Cheers Mike.
    I have some freeware version of SiSoftware Sandra which tells me "stuff"
    Only thing is, I'm not 100% what I'm reading!
    It says:

    Processor
    Model : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
    Speed : 1.10GHz
    Model Number : 1102 (estimated)
    Performance Rating : PR1466 (estimated)
    Type : Standard
    Package : Socket A PGA
    Multiplier : 11/1x
    Generation : G7
    Name : Athlon M4 (Thunderbird) 650-1.4GHz 1.7-1.8V
    Revision/Stepping : 4 / 2 (0)
    Stepping Mask : A4..A8
    Core Voltage Rating : 1.750V
    Maximum Physical / Virtual Addressing : 36-bit / 32-bit
    Power Rating(s)
    CPU Core Power : 160W (estimated)
    Sensors
    Auto Fan Speed Control : No
    CPU Fan Speed : 5075rpm
    CPU Voltage : 3.10V

    Performance Tips
    Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
    Warning 2528 : System monitor device implementation is known to vary.
    Warning 236 : Vcore higher than rated maximum. Check Vcore setting!

    I haven't done any overclocking.
    Any ideas?

    Jay

    Jay, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Jay

    Jay Guest

    outgoing sig off
    Off to look at AIDA

    Jay

    Jay, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Jay

    °Mike° Guest

    SiSoft Sandra is a pile of crap. Try Aida32 instead.
    http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

    And please turn off the borked AVG sig. -- it serves no purpose,
    other than to advertise for Grisoft.

    Right click the AVG icon in the system tray and select the
    E-mail scanner tab. Uncheck 'Certify Outgoing Messages'.
    Apply / OK.

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:01:43 +1300, in
    <5I%Mb.11134$>
    Jay scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Check for overheating and bad RAM. Also, your suggestion
    >> about physical defects on the hard drive could also be a
    >> factor.

    >Cheers Mike.
    >I have some freeware version of SiSoftware Sandra which tells me "stuff"
    >Only thing is, I'm not 100% what I'm reading!
    >It says:

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "Jay" <qpr@*spamfree*xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > outgoing sig off
    > Off to look at AIDA

    If I can get my PC to stay on it's feet long enough for the d/l to complete
    Grrrrr!

    Jay, Jan 14, 2004
  7. Jay

    Jay Guest

    ok so I d/l AIDA
    What do I need to do in order for it to test my CPU/MOBO/HDD in order to
    find any potential problems?
    I would RTFM but the help menu contains only 'contact' and 'about'

    Jay

    Jay, Jan 14, 2004
  8. Jay

    °Mike° Guest

    Computer / Sensor -- that will tell you your temperatures.

    Check your RAM also. Have somebody download these for you,
    if necessary.

    WinDiag
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    DocMemory
    http://www.docmemory.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:10:06 +1300, in
    <cI0Nb.11197$>
    Jay scrawled:

    >ok so I d/l AIDA
    >What do I need to do in order for it to test my CPU/MOBO/HDD in order to
    >find any potential problems?
    >I would RTFM but the help menu contains only 'contact' and 'about'
    >
    >Jay

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 14, 2004
  9. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Computer / Sensor -- that will tell you your temperatures.

    Continued thanks Mike.
    This is what it says, as I said they mean nothing to me (as a software
    developer!)

    Aux = 22c (72f)
    cpu fan = 5000 RPM
    CPU Core = 3.04v
    +2.5v = 3.04v
    +3.3v = 3.33v
    +5v = 6.31v
    +12v = 15.29v

    > Check your RAM also. Have somebody download these for you,
    > if necessary.
    >
    > WinDiag
    > http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    >
    > DocMemory
    > http://www.docmemory.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

    Will check them now - cheers

    Jay

    Jay, Jan 14, 2004
  10. Jay

    °Mike° Guest

    Woah! You're voltages seem way out. Is this unit overclocked?
    What about your CPU temperature? You never posted that.
    I suggest you start reading your motherboard manual, specifically
    about the voltages, and how to check/change them.

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:23:30 +1300, in
    <KU0Nb.11217$>
    Jay scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 14, 2004
  11. Jay

    ICee Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Computer / Sensor -- that will tell you your temperatures.

    > Continued thanks Mike.
    > This is what it says, as I said they mean nothing to me (as a software
    > developer!)
    >
    > Aux = 22c (72f)
    > cpu fan = 5000 RPM
    > CPU Core = 3.04v
    > +2.5v = 3.04v
    > +3.3v = 3.33v
    > +5v = 6.31v
    > +12v = 15.29v

    All of your voltages (except the +3.3v) are excessively high. It may be
    the power supply has a problem, or the motherboard voltage regulator is
    bad, perhaps due to bad capacitors. Look at these pictures to see if
    the capacitors may be bad (click to enlarge):
    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=images

    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  12. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Woah! You're voltages seem way out. Is this unit overclocked?
    > What about your CPU temperature? You never posted that.
    > I suggest you start reading your motherboard manual, specifically
    > about the voltages, and how to check/change them.

    Yikes!
    Never/wouldn't overclock.
    No idea, I posted all the info that I got from 'computer-sensor'.
    Hmmm finding it may be fun :)
    The CMOS/MOBO are in the identical state they were when I bought them approx
    2.5yrs ago.
    If something had changed it would have to be by the hand of another.

    Jay

    Jay, Jan 14, 2004
  13. Jay

    Jay Guest

    PS

    Motherboard Properties:
    Motherboard ID
    10/05/2000-VT8363-VT686A-6A6LMF09C-00
    Motherboard Name FIC AZ11/AZ31

    Front Side Bus Properties:
    Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 200 MHz
    Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

    Memory Bus Properties:
    Bus Type SDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz
    Effective Clock 100 MHz
    Bandwidth 800 MB/s

    Chipset Bus Properties:
    Bus Type PCI
    Bus Width 32-bit
    Real Clock 33 MHz
    Effective Clock 33 MHz
    Bandwidth 133 MB/s

    Motherboard Manufacturer:
    Company Name First International
    Computer, Inc.
    Product Information
    http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard
    BIOS Download
    http://www.fic.com.tw/support/motherboard

    Jay, Jan 14, 2004
  14. Jay

    ICee Guest

    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  15. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Jay wrote:
    > > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> Computer / Sensor -- that will tell you your temperatures.

    > > Continued thanks Mike.
    > > This is what it says, as I said they mean nothing to me (as a software
    > > developer!)
    > >
    > > Aux = 22c (72f)
    > > cpu fan = 5000 RPM
    > > CPU Core = 3.04v
    > > +2.5v = 3.04v
    > > +3.3v = 3.33v
    > > +5v = 6.31v
    > > +12v = 15.29v
    > >

    > All of your voltages (except the +3.3v) are excessively high. It may be
    > the power supply has a problem, or the motherboard voltage regulator is
    > bad, perhaps due to bad capacitors. Look at these pictures to see if
    > the capacitors may be bad (click to enlarge):
    > http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=images

    Looked at the MOBO all barrel shaped (???) capacitors seem intact.

    Jay, Jan 14, 2004
  16. Jay

    ICee Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Jay wrote:
    >>> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Continued thanks Mike.
    >>> This is what it says, as I said they mean nothing to me (as a
    >>> software developer!)
    >>>
    >>> Aux = 22c (72f)
    >>> cpu fan = 5000 RPM
    >>> CPU Core = 3.04v
    >>> +2.5v = 3.04v
    >>> +3.3v = 3.33v
    >>> +5v = 6.31v
    >>> +12v = 15.29v
    >>>

    >> All of your voltages (except the +3.3v) are excessively high. It
    >> may be the power supply has a problem, or the motherboard voltage
    >> regulator is bad, perhaps due to bad capacitors. Look at these
    >> pictures to see if the capacitors may be bad (click to enlarge):
    >> http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=images

    > Looked at the MOBO all barrel shaped (???) capacitors seem intact.

    There should be no bulging on the top or the sides and no orange/brown
    discoloration on the tops or bottoms of the capacitors. If you look at
    the web site I gave you, look at the BE6II Bad Caps picture at the upper
    right side of the page (click to enlarge) and you will see a perfect
    example of what they should *not* look like.
    If they all look alright, then your power supply may be bad. In any
    case, it's amazing that the system still runs with voltages that high.

    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  17. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > > Looked at the MOBO all barrel shaped (???) capacitors seem intact.

    > There should be no bulging on the top or the sides and no orange/brown
    > discoloration on the tops or bottoms of the capacitors. If you look at
    > the web site I gave you, look at the BE6II Bad Caps picture at the upper
    > right side of the page (click to enlarge) and you will see a perfect
    > example of what they should *not* look like.
    > If they all look alright, then your power supply may be bad. In any
    > case, it's amazing that the system still runs with voltages that high.

    Yes looked at them all and they all look like the sparkly versions in the
    BE611 image.
    I'm very much the novice in this area... is there a way for a person to test
    if the PS is doing as it should.
    Baring in mind I have no PhDs in electronics nor access to measuring
    hardware/instruments.

    Jay

    Jay, Jan 14, 2004
  18. Jay

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:42:18 +1300, in
    <ka1Nb.11233$>
    Jay scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Woah! You're voltages seem way out. Is this unit overclocked?
    >> What about your CPU temperature? You never posted that.
    >> I suggest you start reading your motherboard manual, specifically
    >> about the voltages, and how to check/change them.

    >Yikes!
    >Never/wouldn't overclock.
    >No idea, I posted all the info that I got from 'computer-sensor'.
    >Hmmm finding it may be fun :)
    >The CMOS/MOBO are in the identical state they were when I bought them approx
    >2.5yrs ago.
    >If something had changed it would have to be by the hand of another.
    >
    >Jay

    You seem way out of your depth. I suggest you have a competent
    technician take a look at it for you.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 14, 2004
  19. Jay

    ICee Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >>> Looked at the MOBO all barrel shaped (???) capacitors seem intact.

    >> There should be no bulging on the top or the sides and no
    >> orange/brown discoloration on the tops or bottoms of the capacitors.
    >> If you look at the web site I gave you, look at the BE6II Bad Caps
    >> picture at the upper right side of the page (click to enlarge) and
    >> you will see a perfect example of what they should *not* look like.
    >> If they all look alright, then your power supply may be bad. In any
    >> case, it's amazing that the system still runs with voltages that
    >> high.

    > Yes looked at them all and they all look like the sparkly versions in
    > the BE611 image.
    > I'm very much the novice in this area... is there a way for a person
    > to test if the PS is doing as it should.
    > Baring in mind I have no PhDs in electronics nor access to measuring
    > hardware/instruments.
    >
    > Jay

    Unfortunately, the only way to confirm this is to use a DVM (Digital
    Volt Meter) to check the voltages coming from the power supply. If the
    capacitors look alright, then it's probably a problem with the power
    supply. Aida32 is a good program and the readings are probably
    accurate. It measures the voltages correctly on my system, as confirmed
    by direct measurement and another program.

    Your problems may be due to the high voltage and/or the CPU and/or
    memory overheating due to higher than normal voltages. In any case, it
    should be checked into.

    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  20. Jay

    ICee Guest