    Matt Guest

    Can anyone tell me what a WINK is in refernece to an AS5800 and a DS3
    line coming into it?

    Matt, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Matt

    John Agosta Guest

    It's a form of signaling used in telephony where one system informs
    another system it's OK to start sending selection (digit) information.
    Analogous to what CCITT called a PTS (Proceed to Select) back in the old
    teletype days.....

    There's probably a million references on line.
    Try doing a search.....

    -ja

    John Agosta, Jun 1, 2004

  3. "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me what a WINK is in refernece to an AS5800 and a DS3
    > line coming into it?

    Specifically, a "WINK" is a high signal going low, and then high again.
    Loop start and ground start refer to a signal going low or high to start a
    call (go 'off hook'). A wink start is when a signal goes from high to low
    to high to start. Imagine an indicator light winking at you due to a
    voltage drop.

    When the loops get consolidated in to a digital carrier (eg, T1, or T3) they
    will either signal out of band (ISDN) or signal in band with robbed bits to
    carry the loop state information.

    In the modern digital age on a DS3, a Wink would be an in band signalling
    representing the loop voltage, usuaully on robbed bits of a DS-0 channel.
    It would not be applicable in ISDN, which would use and out of band signal.

    Soo, the wink is just the on hook/off hook (supervision) signalling from the
    telco to the modem/voice port.

    Phillip Remaker, Jun 2, 2004