    I'm using Windows XP Professional Original on a Dell computer with
    384mb of Memorex.

    Thanks
    John Breckenridge, Aug 12, 2005

  2. John Breckenridge

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "John Breckenridge" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Avant browser works perfectly, but I would also like to use FireFox
    > and Mozilla. However this Winfixer pops up every few minutes and it
    > takes time to subdue it, "http://winfixer.com"
    >
    > It is making surfing a hassle.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to stop this monster?

    Yes.

    > I'm using Windows XP Professional Original on a Dell computer with
    > 384mb of Memorex.

    Original? As in no service packs? If so, you deserve the winfixer crap.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 12, 2005

  3. John Breckenridge

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Download, install, update and run all of the following.

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

    Ewido Security Suite Trial version

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
    I can analyze it.

    HijackThis

    pcbutts1, Aug 12, 2005
  4. My Internet needs are very simple. So I felt I didn't need to fool
    around with those buggy Service packs that often make things worse
    than they were.

    I'll run all the stuff that the human who posted first instructed me
    to do. If that doesn't work, I'll take a sledge hammer to it. That
    will ficks things for sure.

    John Breckenridge, Aug 12, 2005
  5. John Breckenridge

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Simple internet needs or not you NEED Service pack 2 I suggest you get it.

    pcbutts1, Aug 12, 2005
  6. John Breckenridge

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Those service packs are not buggy. They're there to fix the bugs in the
    original code. You really should do some serious research.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 12, 2005
  7. John Breckenridge

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi John - As others here have already pointed out to you, you need to bring
    your machine up to date with ALL SP's and Critical patches. SP's may not
    install well if you have malware on your machine, so let try to get it
    cleaned up first. Plan on spending some time and effort on it. :)

    'Retired' posted the following:

    "The mvps hosts file contains the following entries:
    # [Innovative Marketing][Adware.VirtuMonde]
    [...]
    127.0.0.1 download.winfixer.com
    127.0.0.1 secure.winfixer.com
    127.0.0.1 www.winfixer.com

    Symantec has two security responses:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.virtumonde.html

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.vundo.html

    Good luck!
    --
    Sired, Squired, Hired, RETIRED."

    The second of these referenced Symantec pages contains links to a dedicated
    removal tool that you might want to try. If that doesn't work, you'll
    probably need some help from one of the HiJackThis forums. The following is
    in part from my Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy in my Signature below:

    #########IMPORTANT#########
    Before you try to remove spyware using any of the programs below, download
    both a copy of LSPFIX here:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    AND a copy of Winsockfix for W95, W98, and ME
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

    or here for Win2k/XP
    http://files.webattack.com/localdl834/WinsockxpFix.exe
    Info and download here: http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    Directions here: http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

    The process of removing certain malware may kill your internet connection.
    If this should occur, these programs, LSPFIX and WINSOCKFIX, will enable you
    to regain your connection.

    NOTE: It is reported that in XP SP2, the Run command

    netsh winsock reset

    will fix this problem without the need for these programs. (You can also try
    this if you're on XP SP1. There has also been one, as yet unconfirmed,
    report that this also works there.) Also, one MS technician suggested the
    following sequence:

    netsh int reset all
    ipconfig /flushdns

    See also: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm for additional XPSP2
    info/approaches using the netsh command.

    An alternative approach with necessary .reg files which will often work even
    when the above doesn't is defined here, courtesy of Bob Cerelli:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/ie_tips.htm#winsock_fix Recommended.

    Remember - you need to do any downloads ahead of time BEFORE you do any
    malware cleaning.
    #########IMPORTANT#########

    #########IMPORTANT#########

    Show hidden files and run all of the following removal tools from Safe mode
    or a "Clean Boot" when possible, logged on as an Administrator. BEFORE
    running these tools, be sure to clear all Temp files and your Temporary
    Internet Files (TIF)(including offline content.) Reboot and test if the
    malware is fixed after using each tool.

    HOW TO Enable Hidden Files
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

    Clean Boot - General Win2k/XP procedure, but see below for links for other
    OS's (This for Win2k w/msconfig - you can obtain msconfig for Win2k here:
    http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2K_msconfig_setup.exe ):

    1. StartRun enter msconfig.

    2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the 'Process
    System.ini File', 'Process Win.ini File', and 'Load Startup Items' check
    boxes. Leave the 'boot.ini' boxes however they are currently set.

    3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button. If you use a third party firewall
    then re-check (enable) it. For example, if you use Zone Alarm, re-check the
    True Vector Internet Monitor service (and you may also want to re-check
    (enable) the zlclient on the Startup tab.) Equivalent services exist for
    other third party firewalls. An alternative to this for XP users is to
    enable at this time the XP native firewall (Internet Connection Firewall -
    ICF). Be sure to turn it back off when you re-enable your non-MS services
    and Startup tab programs and restore your normal msconfig configuration
    after cleaning your machine.

    4. Click OK and then reboot.

    For additional information about how to clean boot your operating system,
    click the following article links to view the articles in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:

    310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    281770 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 2000
    267288 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows Millennium Edition
    192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95
    #########IMPORTANT#########

    ? Sometimes the tools below will find files which they are unable to delete
    because they are in use.

    A program called Copylock, here, http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc can
    aid in the process of "replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many
    files which are currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or
    virus/trojan files.)"

    Another is Killbox, here: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip

    A third which is a bit different but often very useful is Delete Invalid
    File, here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
    file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem.

    A fourth useful program is Unlocker, here:
    ..http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ " Simply right click the folder or file
    and select Unlocker. If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of
    lockers will appear. Simply select the lockers and click Unlock and you are
    done!" Works as advertised and is particularly helpful in identifying
    malware components which are 'protecting' each other.

    ? Either run on-line at the first link or download (thus saving for future
    use) and run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx and here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/families.mspx

    This tool addresses a number of the worst virus and worm families/variants
    including a number of the Hacker Defender rootkits. It is updated on the
    second Tuesday of the month and should be re-downloaded and re-run then each
    time as well as when you suspect problems.

    ? Download and run a FRESH COPY of Stinger.exe, here:
    http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe or from the link
    on this page: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ (McAfee has recently started
    renaming Stinger to protect against certain malware, so the first link may
    not work - if so, then download from the appropriate link on the second
    page.)

    ? Download and run a FRESH COPY of the Damage Cleanup Engine / Template,
    here: http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/tsc/tsc.zip Unzip to a
    dedicated folder at root, for example, C:\tsc. Run with Show Hidden Files
    enabled (as above) and from Safe mode or from a Clean Boot (as above).

    ? Boot to Safe mode with Network Support (HowTo here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406)
    or a Clean Boot as above.

    Download sysclean.com , from Trend Micro, here:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp along with the latest released
    pattern file, here: http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp Be sure
    to read the "How-to" info here:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/tsc/readme.txt

    You might also want to get Art's updater, SYS-UP.Zip, here for future
    updating of these:
    http://bilder.informationsarchiv.net/Nikitas_Tools/SYS-UP.ZIP). (If you
    download and use the updater from the beginning, it will automatically
    handle downloading the other files.)

    An alternative automatic updater which adds some capabilities to Art's
    updater, such as restarting in Safe mode to run, etc., SYSCLEAN_FE , is
    available here: http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Sysclean_FE.exe.
    There's a brief description here: http://www.ik-cs.com/more_information.htm.
    I would recommend that you use Clean Boot with either updater, however.

    NOTE: You can get a somewhat more current interim pattern file, the
    Controlled Pattern Release, here and manually unzip it to your SysClean
    folder: http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern-cpr-disclaimer.asp Look
    for the lptxxx.zip file after you agree to the terms. (Sorry, but the
    Updaters won't go get this one for you. However, if you manually download
    the CPR first and then use one of the updaters, SysClean will automatically
    use these CPR definitions when it starts.)

    Place them in a dedicated folder after appropriate unzipping.

    Show hidden and system files (HowTo here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339)

    If you're using WindowsME or WindowsXP, SysClean (and the other cleaning
    tools below) may find infections within Restore Points which it will be
    unable to clean. You may choose to disable Restore if you're on XP or ME
    (directions here:
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm) which will
    eliminate ALL previous Restore Points, or alternatively, you can wait until
    cleaning is completed and then use the procedure within the *********'s
    below to delete all older, possibly infected Restore Points and save a new,
    clean one. This approach is in the sprit of "keep what you've got" so that
    you can recover to an at least operating albeit infected system if you
    inadvertently delete something vital, and is the approach I recommend that
    you take.

    Read tscreadme.txt carefully, then do a complete scan of your system and
    clean or delete anything it finds EXCEPT EMAIL DATABASES OR FILES. These
    need special handling. See here:
    http://www.ik-cs.com/virus-emaildatabase.htm

    Reboot and re-run SysClean and continue this procedure until you get a clean
    scan or nothing further can be cleaned/removed.

    Now reboot to normal mode and re-run the scan again.

    This scan may take a long time, as Sysclean is VERY extensive and thorough.
    For example, one user reported that Sysclean found 69 hits that an
    immediately prior Norton AV v. 11.0.2.4 run had missed.

    Note that sometimes you need to make a judgement call about what the
    programs below report as spyware. See here, for example:
    http://www.imilly.com/alexa.htm They can also sometimes generate "false
    positives" so look carefully before you delete things. There's a good list
    of categorized "unknown, safe, optional, spyware/adware, virus" programs to
    check against here: http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/SWList.asp There's an
    online test of possible malware components available here:
    http://virusscan.jotti.org/

    ? Download and run the free or trial version of A2 Personal, here:
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/ UPDATE, then run from a Clean Boot or Safe Mode
    with Show Hidden Files enabled as above.

    Then:

    Download HijackThis, free, here:
    http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe (Always download a new
    fresh copy of HijackThis [and CWShredder also] - It's UPDATED frequently.)
    You may also get it here if that link is blocked:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3155&file=3&evp=3304750663b552982a8baee6434cfc13

    There's a good "How-to-Use" tutorial here:
    http://computercops.biz/HijackThis.html

    In Windows Explorer, click on Tools|Folder Options|View and check "Show
    hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system
    files". (You may want to restore these when you're all finished with
    HijackThis.)

    Place HijackThis.exe or unzip HijackThis.zip into its own dedicated folder
    at the root level such as C:\HijackThis (NOT in a Temp folder or on your
    Desktop), reboot to Safe mode, start HT then press Scan. Click on SaveLog
    when it's finished which will create hijackthis.log. Now click the Config
    button, then Misc Tools and click on Generate StartupList.log which will
    create Startuplist.txt

    Then go to one of the following forums:

    Spyware and Hijackware Removal Support, here:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

    or Net-Integration here:
    http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-...86d536d57b5f65b6e40c55365e;act=ST;f=27;t=6949

    or Tom Coyote here: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?act=idx
    or Jim Eshelman's site here: http://forum.aumha.org/
    or Bleepingcomputer here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
    or Computer Cops here: http://www.computercops.biz/forums.html

    Register if necessary, then sign in and READ THE DIRECTIONS at the beginning
    of the particular site's HiJackThis forum, then copy and paste both files
    into a message asking for assistance, Someone will answer with detailed
    instructions for the removal of your parasite(s). Be sure you include at
    the beginning of your post a description of "What specific
    problem(s)/symptoms you're trying to solve" and "What steps you've already
    taken."

    *******
    ONLY IF you've successfully eliminated the malware, you can now make a new,
    clean Restore Point and delete any previously saved (possibly infected)
    ones. The following suggested approach is courtesy of Gary Woodruff: For XP
    you can run a Disk Cleanup cycle and then look in the More Options tab. The
    System Restore option removes all but the latest Restore Point. If there
    hasn't been one made since the system was cleaned you should manually create
    one before dumping the old possibly infected ones. To create a new "Restore
    Point":

    Start Run then type %SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

    You'll find full directions here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsysrst.mspx
    *******

    ? You might want to consider installing Eric Howes' IESpyAds, SpywareBlaster
    and SpywareGuard here to help prevent this kind of thing from happening in
    the future:

    IESPYAD - https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm "IE-SPYAD adds a
    long list of sites and domains associated with known advertisers, marketers,
    and crapware pushers to the Restricted sites zone of Internet Explorer. Once
    you merge this list of sites and domains into the Registry, the web sites
    for these companies will not be able to use cookies, ActiveX controls, Java
    applets, or scripting to compromise your privacy or your PC while you surf
    the Net. Nor will they be able to use your browser to push unwanted pop-ups,
    cookies, or auto-installing programs on your PC." Read carefully. Tutorials
    here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial53.html

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html (Prevents malware Active
    X installs, blocks spyware/tracking cookies, and restricts the actions of
    potentially dangerous sites) (BTW, SpyWareBlaster is not memory resident ...
    no CPU or memory load - but keep it UPDATED) The latest version as of this
    writing will prevent installation or prevent the malware from running if it
    is already installed, and, additionally, it provides information about and
    fixit-links for a variety of parasites. Tutorial here:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial49.html One additional
    feature of SpywareBlaster is the ability to add your own supplemental Custom
    Blocking CLSIDs. Some directions for manually adding these can be found
    here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13684 A good source
    for a pre-compiled list of these as well as directions for adding them can
    be found here at dak's site: http://customblockinglist.cjb.net/ This list is
    irregularly updated, so you should check on it ever-so-often or use the
    ChangeDetection service, mentioned below.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: A good additional source of preventive blocking for ActiveX
    components is the Blocking List available here:
    http://www.spywareguide.com/blockfile.php While smaller than the
    SpywareBlaster list, it contains some different malware CLSIDs and appears
    to be updated with new threats more frequently. Strongly Recommended as a
    supplement to SpywareBlaster. Read all of the instructions in the Expert
    package download carefully. You might want to consider using:
    http://www.changedetection.com/monitor.html to monitor and notify you of
    changes/updates to this list and/or to dak's Custom Blocking list (or other
    programs, for that matter, including this Blog which is updated fairly
    frequently).

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html (Monitors for attempts to
    install malware) Keep it UPDATED. Tutorial here:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial50.html

    All three Very Highly Recommended

    ? IESPYAD and SpywareBlaster (and the other malware-ActiveX blocking lists)
    are probably the best preventive tools currently available, expecially if
    supplemented by using the Immunize function in SpyBot S&D and a good HOSTS
    file (see next).

    ? Next, install and keep updated a good HOSTS file. It can help you avoid
    most adware/malware. See here: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm (Be
    sure it's named/renamed HOSTS - all caps, no extension) Additional tutorials
    here: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=410 (overview) and here:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial51.html (detailed)

    ? Lastly, with regards to cookies: The following overview of the approach I
    recommend is courtesy of Mel's Spyware Tools: XML-Menu for IE6 -
    (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/main.htm, click on IE6 Tools on
    website)

    "This package contains a full menu of custom Import XML files that can be
    used to manipulate IE6's handling of cookies in the Internet and Trusted
    zones (the Privacy tab controls only the Internet zone). The files are
    divided into three sets: one "short list" of recommended files, and two
    "advanced" lists containing a wide range of possible Privacy configurations.
    The ReadMe covers the basics of using custom XML Import files and details
    all the files that are available. A .REG file that can be used to restore
    the default Privacy tab settings is included."

    This is the technique that I use and, while I do very infrequently have to
    override on some sites that don't have a Privacy Policy in place, I've found
    it almost infallible in stopping bad cookies (I use 1-e, BTW) FWIW, MVP Eric
    Howes' site, above, is one of the very best on the net with regard to
    anything having to do with security. Very Highly Recommended.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Aug 13, 2005
  8. John Breckenridge

    trout Guest

    Jim Byrd wrote:

    > Hi John - As others here have already pointed out to you, you need to
    > bring your machine up to date with ALL SP's and Critical patches.

    He would have probably had his problem(s) sorted by now, but the
    other posters that had been trying to help him finally noticed his
    headers.
    --
    This is why he became Mr. Lonely.
    trout, Aug 14, 2005
  9. John Breckenridge

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Jim Byrd wrote:
    >
    >> Hi John - As others here have already pointed out to you, you need to
    >> bring your machine up to date with ALL SP's and Critical patches.

    > He would have probably had his problem(s) sorted by now, but the
    > other posters that had been trying to help him finally noticed his
    > headers.
    > --
    > This is why he became Mr. Lonely.

    Darn straight. About the only thing I can't tolerate is intolerance.
    Ummm...errr...uhhh...let me rephrase that...
    Toolman Tim, Aug 14, 2005