WinDVD 6 - what a load of rubbish!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Having been a PowerDVD 4 user for some time now, I thought it was time
    to have another look at WinDVD. Latest version, v7, is only for W2K
    or XP so had to find a demo of v6 for Win98SE. Last time I tried
    WinDVD was version 3.??.

    A. Would not recognise DVD on hard drive as valid DVD but would play
    individual vobs. PowerDVD 4 had no trouble.

    B. Still captures are still a convoluted pain and I can't see where
    you can set the capture size. PowerDVD captures and auto-saves with
    auto-incremental file names to a preset folder just by pressing 'C'
    and you can choose between screen size or source size in preferences.

    C. Couldn't find any way of changing picture appearance. PDVD4 has
    presets and ability to add custom settings.

    D. Setting mouse wheel to control speed, found it would not go back
    to 1x play without pressing the Play button on the control panel.
    PDVD4 comes back to 1x play with the wheel.

    There is no doubt that the PowerDVD 4 interface is much more
    user-friendly than WinDVD.

    GraB, Jul 19, 2005

  2. GraB

    XPD Guest

    Hehe..... I havent touched anything but PowerDVD since my 1st experience
    with a DVD drive many moons ago.
    One annoyance I have found with PowerDVD though, is when I open a VOB on its
    own, PowerDVD keeps trying to add it to a playlist and I cant kill the
    playlist.... but I dont watch many DVDs now on the computer so cna live with
    it.

    --
    XPD^
    http://www.xpd.co.nz/

    XPD, Jul 19, 2005

  3. GraB

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 03:29:50 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >Having been a PowerDVD 4 user for some time now, I thought it was time
    >to have another look at WinDVD. Latest version, v7, is only for W2K
    >or XP so had to find a demo of v6 for Win98SE. Last time I tried
    >WinDVD was version 3.??.
    >
    >A. Would not recognise DVD on hard drive as valid DVD but would play
    >individual vobs. PowerDVD 4 had no trouble.
    >
    >B. Still captures are still a convoluted pain and I can't see where
    >you can set the capture size. PowerDVD captures and auto-saves with
    >auto-incremental file names to a preset folder just by pressing 'C'
    >and you can choose between screen size or source size in preferences.
    >
    >C. Couldn't find any way of changing picture appearance. PDVD4 has
    >presets and ability to add custom settings.
    >
    >D. Setting mouse wheel to control speed, found it would not go back
    >to 1x play without pressing the Play button on the control panel.
    >PDVD4 comes back to 1x play with the wheel.
    >
    >There is no doubt that the PowerDVD 4 interface is much more
    >user-friendly than WinDVD.

    What a load of Crap I have used Both WinDVD 7 is 200% better and fully
    supports a 4.1 sound set up the Power does not..

    Tony, Jul 19, 2005
  4. GraB

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:54:54 +1200, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >Hehe..... I havent touched anything but PowerDVD since my 1st experience
    >with a DVD drive many moons ago.
    >One annoyance I have found with PowerDVD though, is when I open a VOB on its
    >own, PowerDVD keeps trying to add it to a playlist and I cant kill the
    >playlist.... but I dont watch many DVDs now on the computer so cna live with
    >it.

    Power DVD is crap as it can't down mix the LFE channel with a 4.1 speaker
    system WinDVD can

    Tony, Jul 19, 2005
  5. GraB

    ardz Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 03:29:50 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    > >Having been a PowerDVD 4 user for some time now, I thought it was time
    > >to have another look at WinDVD. Latest version, v7, is only for W2K
    > >or XP so had to find a demo of v6 for Win98SE. Last time I tried
    > >WinDVD was version 3.??.
    > >
    > >A. Would not recognise DVD on hard drive as valid DVD but would play
    > >individual vobs. PowerDVD 4 had no trouble.
    > >
    > >B. Still captures are still a convoluted pain and I can't see where
    > >you can set the capture size. PowerDVD captures and auto-saves with
    > >auto-incremental file names to a preset folder just by pressing 'C'
    > >and you can choose between screen size or source size in preferences.
    > >
    > >C. Couldn't find any way of changing picture appearance. PDVD4 has
    > >presets and ability to add custom settings.
    > >
    > >D. Setting mouse wheel to control speed, found it would not go back
    > >to 1x play without pressing the Play button on the control panel.
    > >PDVD4 comes back to 1x play with the wheel.
    > >
    > >There is no doubt that the PowerDVD 4 interface is much more
    > >user-friendly than WinDVD.

    > What a load of Crap I have used Both WinDVD 7 is 200% better and fully
    > supports a 4.1 sound set up the Power does not..

    Must be time to upgrade to a 5.1 or even 6.1 system. Ive always used power
    DVD and currently use version 5.0 and have absolutely no problems.

    ardz, Jul 19, 2005
  6. GraB

    Richard Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Power DVD is crap as it can't down mix the LFE channel with a 4.1 speaker
    > system WinDVD can

    Can your soundcard not cross over the bass to the "sub" in its control panel?

    Richard, Jul 20, 2005
  7. GraB

    GraB Guest

    There is a file called default.pls in the folder with the vob. Just
    delete it.

    GraB, Jul 20, 2005
  8. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:38:50 +1200, Tony
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 03:29:50 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>Having been a PowerDVD 4 user for some time now, I thought it was time
    >>to have another look at WinDVD. Latest version, v7, is only for W2K
    >>or XP so had to find a demo of v6 for Win98SE. Last time I tried
    >>WinDVD was version 3.??.
    >>
    >>A. Would not recognise DVD on hard drive as valid DVD but would play
    >>individual vobs. PowerDVD 4 had no trouble.
    >>
    >>B. Still captures are still a convoluted pain and I can't see where
    >>you can set the capture size. PowerDVD captures and auto-saves with
    >>auto-incremental file names to a preset folder just by pressing 'C'
    >>and you can choose between screen size or source size in preferences.
    >>
    >>C. Couldn't find any way of changing picture appearance. PDVD4 has
    >>presets and ability to add custom settings.
    >>
    >>D. Setting mouse wheel to control speed, found it would not go back
    >>to 1x play without pressing the Play button on the control panel.
    >>PDVD4 comes back to 1x play with the wheel.
    >>
    >>There is no doubt that the PowerDVD 4 interface is much more
    >>user-friendly than WinDVD.

    >What a load of Crap I have used Both WinDVD 7 is 200% better and fully
    >supports a 4.1 sound set up the Power does not..

    No problem for me as I only have a two channel card with sound to NAD
    amp driving high quality hifi speakers with far superior sound than
    any PC sound system. I have never heard a compelling demonstration of
    multi-speaker surround sound anyway. Once, a group of us listened to
    a 5.1 system, then switched to the front two speakers and it was
    unanimous that we preferred the front two, on a $17,000 audio system.
    I think surround sound is gimmicky.

    GraB, Jul 20, 2005
  9. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 03:29:50 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >Having been a PowerDVD 4 user for some time now, I thought it was time
    >to have another look at WinDVD. Latest version, v7, is only for W2K
    >or XP so had to find a demo of v6 for Win98SE. Last time I tried
    >WinDVD was version 3.??.
    >
    >A. Would not recognise DVD on hard drive as valid DVD but would play
    >individual vobs. PowerDVD 4 had no trouble.
    >
    >B. Still captures are still a convoluted pain and I can't see where
    >you can set the capture size. PowerDVD captures and auto-saves with
    >auto-incremental file names to a preset folder just by pressing 'C'
    >and you can choose between screen size or source size in preferences.
    >
    >C. Couldn't find any way of changing picture appearance. PDVD4 has
    >presets and ability to add custom settings.
    >
    >D. Setting mouse wheel to control speed, found it would not go back
    >to 1x play without pressing the Play button on the control panel.
    >PDVD4 comes back to 1x play with the wheel.
    >
    >There is no doubt that the PowerDVD 4 interface is much more
    >user-friendly than WinDVD.

    I see PowerDVD 6 is out now. That will run on Win98SE. WinDVD 6
    won't.

    GraB, Jul 20, 2005
  10. GraB

    cowboyz Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:05:10 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >> Power DVD is crap as it can't down mix the LFE channel with a 4.1
    >> speaker
    >> system WinDVD can

    > Can your soundcard not cross over the bass to the "sub" in its control
    > panel?

    PowerDVD is much better than winDVD. It is no surprise that Woger will
    promote the undercard.

    YAWN

    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, Jul 20, 2005
  11. GraB

    cowboyz Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:31:21 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:38:50 +1200, Tony
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 03:29:50 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Having been a PowerDVD 4 user for some time now, I thought it was time
    >>> to have another look at WinDVD. Latest version, v7, is only for W2K
    >>> or XP so had to find a demo of v6 for Win98SE. Last time I tried
    >>> WinDVD was version 3.??.
    >>>
    >>> A. Would not recognise DVD on hard drive as valid DVD but would play
    >>> individual vobs. PowerDVD 4 had no trouble.
    >>>
    >>> B. Still captures are still a convoluted pain and I can't see where
    >>> you can set the capture size. PowerDVD captures and auto-saves with
    >>> auto-incremental file names to a preset folder just by pressing 'C'
    >>> and you can choose between screen size or source size in preferences.
    >>>
    >>> C. Couldn't find any way of changing picture appearance. PDVD4 has
    >>> presets and ability to add custom settings.
    >>>
    >>> D. Setting mouse wheel to control speed, found it would not go back
    >>> to 1x play without pressing the Play button on the control panel.
    >>> PDVD4 comes back to 1x play with the wheel.
    >>>
    >>> There is no doubt that the PowerDVD 4 interface is much more
    >>> user-friendly than WinDVD.

    >> What a load of Crap I have used Both WinDVD 7 is 200% better and fully
    >> supports a 4.1 sound set up the Power does not..
    >>

    > No problem for me as I only have a two channel card with sound to NAD
    > amp driving high quality hifi speakers with far superior sound than
    > any PC sound system. I have never heard a compelling demonstration of
    > multi-speaker surround sound anyway. Once, a group of us listened to
    > a 5.1 system, then switched to the front two speakers and it was
    > unanimous that we preferred the front two, on a $17,000 audio system.
    > I think surround sound is gimmicky.

    Disagree completely. My system is a third of that and I definitely notice
    the difference between surround sound and 2ch sound. We have been
    watching movies and jumped through the roof on occasion. That is a real
    movie experience.

    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, Jul 20, 2005
  12. GraB

    Richard Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > Disagree completely. My system is a third of that and I definitely
    > notice the difference between surround sound and 2ch sound. We have
    > been watching movies and jumped through the roof on occasion. That is
    > a real movie experience.

    I find surround sound on most movies is just annoying. Its not largly used.

    Center channel isnt needed unless you are sitting off axis or have speakers that
    cant image. I find 2 good channels is fine, better then a badly setup 5 channel
    system which most are since most people dont even set the levels, let alone the
    delays for the channels, also, small rears usually fail to meld with the sub so
    you get 2 distinct sounds for anything at the back.

    Richard, Jul 20, 2005
  13. GraB

    cowboyz Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:08:31 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> Disagree completely. My system is a third of that and I definitely
    >> notice the difference between surround sound and 2ch sound. We have
    >> been watching movies and jumped through the roof on occasion. That is
    >> a real movie experience.

    > I find surround sound on most movies is just annoying. Its not largly
    > used.
    >
    > Center channel isnt needed unless you are sitting off axis or have
    > speakers that cant image. I find 2 good channels is fine, better then a
    > badly setup 5 channel system which most are since most people dont even
    > set the levels, let alone the delays for the channels, also, small rears
    > usually fail to meld with the sub so you get 2 distinct sounds for
    > anything at the back.

    Well nothing works well shen it is setup badly. I assumed (my bad) that
    anyone spending $17000 on an audio system would have gone to the effort of
    setting it up properly. Mine has this nice little mode where you tell it
    where all the speakers are and how far away they are and it sets up what
    it thinks it should sound like. I do tweak it for various movies
    depending on the movie but overall its pretty good.
    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.

    cowboyz, Jul 20, 2005
  14. GraB

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:05:10 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >
    >> Power DVD is crap as it can't down mix the LFE channel with a 4.1 speaker
    >> system WinDVD can

    >Can your soundcard not cross over the bass to the "sub" in its control panel?

    No, and I have a Creative Audigy II.

    Tony, Jul 20, 2005
  15. GraB

    Richard Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > No, and I have a Creative Audigy II.

    So if your speakers cant, and your games cant, then that leaves you in a bit of
    a situation when you want to play games then?

    Richard, Jul 20, 2005
  16. GraB

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:31:21 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:38:50 +1200, Tony
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 03:29:50 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Having been a PowerDVD 4 user for some time now, I thought it was time
    >>>to have another look at WinDVD. Latest version, v7, is only for W2K
    >>>or XP so had to find a demo of v6 for Win98SE. Last time I tried
    >>>WinDVD was version 3.??.
    >>>
    >>>A. Would not recognise DVD on hard drive as valid DVD but would play
    >>>individual vobs. PowerDVD 4 had no trouble.
    >>>
    >>>B. Still captures are still a convoluted pain and I can't see where
    >>>you can set the capture size. PowerDVD captures and auto-saves with
    >>>auto-incremental file names to a preset folder just by pressing 'C'
    >>>and you can choose between screen size or source size in preferences.
    >>>
    >>>C. Couldn't find any way of changing picture appearance. PDVD4 has
    >>>presets and ability to add custom settings.
    >>>
    >>>D. Setting mouse wheel to control speed, found it would not go back
    >>>to 1x play without pressing the Play button on the control panel.
    >>>PDVD4 comes back to 1x play with the wheel.
    >>>
    >>>There is no doubt that the PowerDVD 4 interface is much more
    >>>user-friendly than WinDVD.

    >>What a load of Crap I have used Both WinDVD 7 is 200% better and fully
    >>supports a 4.1 sound set up the Power does not..
    >>

    >No problem for me as I only have a two channel card with sound to NAD

    NAD stuff is Utter Crap as I have to fix a few systems Made in Taiwan, you
    can keep it and I have a Far better Audio System a $3000 Pioneer 110W per
    channel Amp with UK Ditton Speakers, Plus my PC system will leaves yours for
    dead as its 300W RMS with enough noise to break my windows.

    So my dick is far better looking than yours..

    Tony, Jul 20, 2005
  17. GraB

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:49:23 +1200, cowboyz <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:05:10 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tony wrote:
    >>
    >>> Power DVD is crap as it can't down mix the LFE channel with a 4.1
    >>> speaker
    >>> system WinDVD can

    >> Can your soundcard not cross over the bass to the "sub" in its control
    >> panel?

    >PowerDVD is much better than winDVD. It is no surprise that Woger will
    >promote the undercard.
    >
    >YAWN

    Seems like you can't read..?

    Tony, Jul 20, 2005
  18. GraB

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:02:59 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >
    >> No, and I have a Creative Audigy II.

    >So if your speakers cant, and your games cant, then that leaves you in a bit of
    >a situation when you want to play games then?

    No the System has to downmix the LFE channel to the Woofer from the front
    speakers., That is a DVD movie thing, not games at all, Games are Just Great..

    Tony, Jul 20, 2005
  19. GraB

    SCCC Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Having been a PowerDVD 4 user for some time now, I thought it was time
    > to have another look at WinDVD. Latest version, v7, is only for W2K
    > or XP so had to find a demo of v6 for Win98SE. Last time I tried
    > WinDVD was version 3.??.
    >
    > A. Would not recognise DVD on hard drive as valid DVD but would play
    > individual vobs. PowerDVD 4 had no trouble.
    >
    > B. Still captures are still a convoluted pain and I can't see where
    > you can set the capture size. PowerDVD captures and auto-saves with
    > auto-incremental file names to a preset folder just by pressing 'C'
    > and you can choose between screen size or source size in preferences.
    >
    > C. Couldn't find any way of changing picture appearance. PDVD4 has
    > presets and ability to add custom settings.
    >
    > D. Setting mouse wheel to control speed, found it would not go back
    > to 1x play without pressing the Play button on the control panel.
    > PDVD4 comes back to 1x play with the wheel.
    >
    > There is no doubt that the PowerDVD 4 interface is much more
    > user-friendly than WinDVD.

    If you try and play WinDVD on a secondary screen without an overlay it
    will not work. PowerDVD will (without subtitles, but better than nothing)

    SCCC, Jul 20, 2005
  20. GraB

    Richard Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > No the System has to downmix the LFE channel to the Woofer from the front
    > speakers., That is a DVD movie thing, not games at all, Games are Just Great..

    is the system connected to the machine as 4.1 or 4.0?

    Richard, Jul 20, 2005