windoze xp pro

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SteveM, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. SteveM

    SteveM Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in

    > can anyone remind of the process of activating windoze xp as a
    > usedproduct ? ie; second hand. If you buy the used product already
    > activated under the first owners name, can you a new user use it ?
    > Send a fax to MS ? or run the thing.
    >
    > I called ms nz but the guy I spoke to seemed a bit dopy. And Im not
    > sure what he was on about to be honest
    >
    > thanks

    Just reactivate it over the NZ 0800 number supplied when installing.
    As long as it hasn't been activated in a while you will have no
    problems. Even then you still probably won't have any issues.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Feb 8, 2004

  2. SteveM

    EAgle Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Nick wrote:
    >
    > > can anyone remind of the process of activating windoze xp as a

    usedproduct
    > > ? ie; second hand. If you buy the used product already activated under

    the
    > > first owners name, can you a new user use it ? Send a fax to MS ? or

    run
    > > the thing.
    > >
    > > I called ms nz but the guy I spoke to seemed a bit dopy. And Im not

    sure
    > > what he was on about to be honest

    > Waste of time calling them.
    >
    > > thanks

    > Get the XP activation crack.
    >
    > Kazaa.

    Why would he want to do something illegal if hes already got a legal copy?

    Activating it again (over the net for eg) shouldn't be a problem.

    Nick, Feb 8, 2004
  4. SteveM

    steve Guest

    Nick wrote:

    > can anyone remind of the process of activating windoze xp as a usedproduct
    > ? ie; second hand. If you buy the used product already activated under the
    > first owners name, can you a new user use it ? Send a fax to MS ? or run
    > the thing.
    >
    > I called ms nz but the guy I spoke to seemed a bit dopy. And Im not sure
    > what he was on about to be honest

    Waste of time calling them.

    > thanks

    Get the XP activation crack.

    Kazaa.

    steve, Feb 8, 2004
  5. In Message <news:Xns948A6CDDED8CEsdmccremovemeparadis@202.20.93.13>
    dated Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:41:44 GMT,
    SteveM <> wrote:

    > "Nick" <> wrote in
    >
    >> [...]
    >> I called ms nz but the guy I spoke to seemed a bit dopy. And Im not
    >> sure what he was on about to be honest
    >>

    > Just reactivate it over the NZ 0800 number supplied when installing.
    > As long as it hasn't been activated in a while you will have no
    > problems. Even then you still probably won't have any issues.

    How long do you call "a while", Steve?

    I have tried the same thing as you suggest with legitimately obtained XP
    Home and Publisher XP2003 (2002?), and in both cases it wouldn't let me
    reactivate, saying it was already activated by the original owner, and to
    contact a Microsoft Representative per voice for further information.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - Blowing one's own horn only succeeds in deafening the listener.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Feb 8, 2004
  6. SteveM

    SteveM Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote in news:y4wcp59qxi2y
    $:

    > In Message <news:Xns948A6CDDED8CEsdmccremovemeparadis@202.20.93.13>
    > dated Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:41:44 GMT,
    > SteveM <> wrote:

    snip

    >> Just reactivate it over the NZ 0800 number supplied when installing.
    >> As long as it hasn't been activated in a while you will have no
    >> problems. Even then you still probably won't have any issues.

    > How long do you call "a while", Steve?
    >
    > I have tried the same thing as you suggest with legitimately obtained XP
    > Home and Publisher XP2003 (2002?), and in both cases it wouldn't let me
    > reactivate, saying it was already activated by the original owner, and to
    > contact a Microsoft Representative per voice for further information.

    I heard 3 months was the time required (but that was for WinXP Home).

    YMMV?

    SteveM

    SteveM, Feb 9, 2004
  7. "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> can anyone remind of the process of activating windoze xp as a
    >> usedproduct
    >> ? ie; second hand. If you buy the used product already activated under
    >> the
    >> first owners name, can you a new user use it ? Send a fax to MS ? or
    >> run
    >> the thing.
    >>
    >> I called ms nz but the guy I spoke to seemed a bit dopy. And Im not sure
    >> what he was on about to be honest

    > Waste of time calling them.

    Thats a nice blanket statement to make, Microsoft Services take a lot of
    calls. By your theory they're wasting a shit load of everyones time. I'm
    sure thats not true.

    >> thanks

    > Get the XP activation crack.

    why crack something you own?

    Just activate it automatically over the Internet, if that doesn't work
    (because the product key has already been recently activated) call up the
    0800 activation number and a human can help you. Literally takes a few
    minutes max

    > Kazaa.

    No thanks, its really not a great idea to download and run untrusted
    executables from a P2P network

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 9, 2004
  8. SteveM

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:08:36 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >> Get the XP activation crack.

    > why crack something you own?

    If you believe Micro$oft then you'd have to say he doesn't own the
    software - that he only owns the media upon which it is stored.

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

    Lennier, Feb 9, 2004
  9. SteveM

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:54:54 +1300, "EAgle" <> wrote:

    >"steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Nick wrote:
    >>
    >> > can anyone remind of the process of activating windoze xp as a

    >usedproduct
    >> > ? ie; second hand. If you buy the used product already activated under

    >the
    >> > first owners name, can you a new user use it ? Send a fax to MS ? or

    >run
    >> > the thing.
    >> >
    >> > I called ms nz but the guy I spoke to seemed a bit dopy. And Im not

    >sure
    >> > what he was on about to be honest

    >> Waste of time calling them.
    >>
    >> > thanks

    >> Get the XP activation crack.
    >>
    >> Kazaa.

    >Why would he want to do something illegal if hes already got a legal copy?
    >
    >Activating it again (over the net for eg) shouldn't be a problem.

    Because it's not a legal copy. You can't legally buy MS software from
    someone else. As I recall, they don't sell you the software, just the
    right to use it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    I think that Don Brash is a Labour mole.
    That would explain everything.

    Enkidu, Feb 9, 2004
  10. SteveM

    Max Burke Guest

    > Lennier scribbled:
    > If you believe Micro$oft then you'd have to say he doesn't own the
    > software - that he only owns the media upon which it is stored.

    Tell me Lennier, do you OWN the code of the OS you're running? Is that what
    the GPL does? Give YOU PERSONALLY ownership ot the code in the Linux OS
    you're running?

    Or is it just a *licence* for you to use it.......

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:

    Max Burke, Feb 9, 2004
  11. Max Burke wrote:
    >>If you believe Micro$oft then you'd have to say he doesn't own the
    >>software - that he only owns the media upon which it is stored.

    > Tell me Lennier, do you OWN the code of the OS you're running? Is that what
    > the GPL does? Give YOU PERSONALLY ownership ot the code in the Linux OS
    > you're running?
    > Or is it just a *licence* for you to use it.......

    Dont ask him that, or he'll say that he has the copyright to it as he
    has the right to copy it...

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 9, 2004
  12. SteveM

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:19:15 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    >> Lennier scribbled:
    >> If you believe Micro$oft then you'd have to say he doesn't own the
    >> software - that he only owns the media upon which it is stored.

    > Tell me Lennier, do you OWN the code of the OS you're running? Is that
    > what the GPL does? Give YOU PERSONALLY ownership ot the code in the Linux
    > OS you're running?
    >
    > Or is it just a *licence* for you to use it.

    Actually, if I wanted to, and if I was able to make use of it, I could
    take the source code, adapt it for something else, or add something else
    into it, and behold - software created by me, based on that original
    source code. I personally would own the intellectual property rights
    pertaining to the new code, which would have to be released under the GPL
    if I was to distribute the binaries for some purpose or other.

    I personally do not own the GPL'd source code - but am free to use and
    adapt it as per the terms of the GNU general public licence, and to
    install the binaries on as many computers as I please, without restriction.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Feb 9, 2004
  13. SteveM

    EAgle Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:54:54 +1300, "EAgle" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"steve" <> wrote in message

    > >usedproduct

    under
    > >the

    or
    > >run

    > >sure
    > >>
    > >> Waste of time calling them.

    > >> Get the XP activation crack.
    > >>
    > >> Kazaa.

    > >Why would he want to do something illegal if hes already got a legal

    copy?

    > >Activating it again (over the net for eg) shouldn't be a problem.
    > >

    > Because it's not a legal copy. You can't legally buy MS software from
    > someone else. As I recall, they don't sell you the software, just the
    > right to use it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    > --
    >
    > I think that Don Brash is a Labour mole.
    > That would explain everything.

    Well ofcourse.. but you can sell the right to use it to another party
    provided you stop using it. Go look it up, if you still dont believe it go
    give them a ring.

    EAgle, Feb 9, 2004
  14. SteveM

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <40269958$>, says...
    > can anyone remind of the process of activating windoze xp as a usedproduct ?
    > ie; second hand. If you buy the used product already activated under the
    > first owners name, can you a new user use it ? Send a fax to MS ? or run
    > the thing.

    The OEM license terms (if it is an OEM product) are quite clear: it can't
    be installed on another machine.

    If you have an OEM license it cannot legally be sold independently f the
    PC it was sold with.

    Mainlander, Feb 9, 2004
  15. SteveM

    Mainlander Guest

    Withers advocates software piracy

    In article <vRxVb.21772$>,
    says...
    > Nick wrote:
    >
    > > can anyone remind of the process of activating windoze xp as a usedproduct
    > > ? ie; second hand. If you buy the used product already activated under the
    > > first owners name, can you a new user use it ? Send a fax to MS ? or run
    > > the thing.
    > >
    > > I called ms nz but the guy I spoke to seemed a bit dopy. And Im not sure
    > > what he was on about to be honest

    > Waste of time calling them.
    >
    > > thanks

    > Get the XP activation crack.

    Immoral lot these greenies, eh?

    Mainlander, Feb 9, 2004
  16. Re: Withers advocates software piracy

    On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:39:36 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >In article <vRxVb.21772$>,
    > says...
    >> Get the XP activation crack.

    >Immoral lot these greenies, eh?

    I'm with Steve on this one. Microsoft has used up all their moral
    credits with their outrageous monopolistic and truth-fudging
    behaviour. We owe them no consideration.

    willy

    WeeWillyWonka, Feb 9, 2004
  17. SteveM

    Daniel Silva Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > steve wrote:

    > > Get the XP activation crack.

    > Immoral lot these greenies, eh?

    What a curious statement from an AT&T employee.

    Daniel Silva, Feb 9, 2004
  18. SteveM

    harry Guest

    Daniel Silva wrote:
    > "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    >> steve wrote:

    >>> Get the XP activation crack.

    >> Immoral lot these greenies, eh?

    > What a curious statement from an AT&T employee.

    Why not activate it yourself if you paid for it ?
    Thats what volume licensing customers do.
    Product activation is intended to stop unauthorised users who don't know how
    to circumvent it, not authorised users who do.

    harry, Feb 9, 2004
  19. Re: Withers advocates software piracy

    "harry" <> wrote in message
    > Why not activate it yourself if you paid for it ?
    > Thats what volume licensing customers do.
    > Product activation is intended to stop unauthorised users who don't know
    > how
    > to circumvent it, not authorised users who do.

    Volume Licensing media for Windows XP (Pro & Tablet PC) doesn't have product
    activation

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 9, 2004
  20. Re: Withers advocates software piracy

    On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:39:36 +1300, Mainlander wrote:

    > In article <vRxVb.21772$>,
    > says...
    >> Nick wrote:
    >>
    >>> can anyone remind of the process of activating windoze xp as a usedproduct
    >>> ? ie; second hand. If you buy the used product already activated under the
    >>> first owners name, can you a new user use it ? Send a fax to MS ? or run
    >>> the thing.
    >>>
    >>> I called ms nz but the guy I spoke to seemed a bit dopy. And Im not sure
    >>> what he was on about to be honest

    >> Waste of time calling them.
    >>
    >>> thanks

    >> Get the XP activation crack.

    > Immoral lot these greenies, eh?

    No more immoral than those who falsely accuse others of killing small
    girls.

    You have no claim to any moral high ground.

    --
    No regards,
    Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Feb 9, 2004