WindowXP not stable also no sound Card

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by S.Heenan, May 9, 2004.

  1. S.Heenan

    S.Heenan Guest

    Bob Rabbone wrote:
    > I have just installed WindowsXP over Windows ME It now tell me that
    > there is no sound card installed

    That was a mistake. You should have done a clean install.

    S.Heenan, May 9, 2004

  2. S.Heenan

    Michael-NC Guest

    Installing over another OS doesn't always yield satisfactory results. Never
    the less, make sure that all your drivers have been upgraded. It may merely
    be the lack of a driver that causing the problem. You'll have to go to the
    manufactures web site to get the XP driver and install it. XP may warn you
    that the driver is not signed but continue the installation anyway.

    You should have checked to make sure your PC was XP compatible before you
    upgraded or did you?

    Michael-NC, May 9, 2004

  3. S.Heenan

    bmoag Guest

    You have driver problems.

    There is no magic to upgrading vs clean installs: you would still not have
    audio as the Windows XP CD lacks drivers for many sound cards, including
    Audigy and Turtle Beach. The XP CD lacks many necessary drivers depending on
    your specific hardware so a "clean" install would be just as problematic.

    If you do not have access to a DSL or cable modem you are now in Microsoft
    upgrade hell. Windows XP out of the box is seriously outdated because of
    security and other programming flaws besides lacking drivers for many common
    pieces of hardware.

    Even with DSL/Cable modem it will take several downloads and reboots to
    install all the upgrades on the Microsoft site. Some of these may fix the
    problems you have.

    You will also have to down load video, audio and possibly mouse drivers from
    the manufacturer's sites for your hardware. You may also need drivers for
    your motherboard, paricularly if it uses a non-Intel chipset (these are also
    not on the XP disc). You may have to change to a VGA driver in order to
    upgrade or reinstall newer video drivers, not always easy to do in XP. If
    your basic components are fast enough and you have enough memory (>450mhz
    processor, at least 128mbs memory) you can get XP to work. However you may
    want to go back to ME as XP has little or nothing to offer if ME worked well
    on your computer.

    The downloads, just to make XP usable, after spending at least $100 for
    software are well over 100mbs. Is Microsoft a great company or what? They
    used to make everyone pay to fix their programming defects--they packaged it
    as a "new" version of Windows. If you do not already understand these issues
    you will learn alot about them, whether you want to or not, by the time your
    are done.

    Good luck.

    Bob Rabbone, May 10, 2004