    Thanks
    The Old Goat
    Please reply to group as e-mail address is spam trap
    Old Goat, Dec 15, 2004

  2. Old Goat

    WormWood Guest

    "Old Goat" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns95C0B6723824Aoldgoatnospam@129.250.170.86...
    > Hi Group
    > Need some help please. When ever I shutdown windows I get a popup
    > window with a 30 second countdown.
    > Anyone know how to get rid of this.
    >
    > Thanks
    > The Old Goat
    > Please reply to group as e-mail address is spam trap

    Is there an error message on the popup?
    WormWood, Dec 15, 2004

  3. That means you have a bootfile virus

    It has happened to me several times when I was using home edition I have had
    no viruses (touch wood) since bein on xp pro

    David Hemingsley, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Old Goat

    Old Goat Guest

    "WormWood" <> wrote in news:Wvidnf8kuJF4V13cRVn-
    :

    > "Old Goat" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Group
    >> Need some help please. When ever I shutdown windows I get a popup
    >> window with a 30 second countdown.
    >> Anyone know how to get rid of this.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> The Old Goat
    >> Please reply to group as e-mail address is spam trap
    >>

    > Is there an error message on the popup?

    No, no error message.
    Old Goat, Dec 16, 2004
  5. Old Goat

    Old Goat Guest

    "David Hemingsley" <> wrote in

    > That means you have a bootfile virus
    >
    > It has happened to me several times when I was using home edition I
    > have had no viruses (touch wood) since bein on xp pro
    >
    > "Old Goat" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Group
    >> Need some help please. When ever I shutdown windows I get a popup
    >> window with a 30 second countdown.
    >> Anyone know how to get rid of this.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> The Old Goat
    >> Please reply to group as e-mail address is spam trap

    Do you know what virus?
    I have AVG 7, Pest Patrol, Spybot, Spywere Blaster and AD Aware and they
    all show a clean system.

    How did you clean the virus that you had?

    The Old Goat
    Old Goat, Dec 16, 2004
  6. Old Goat

    WormWood Guest

    "Old Goat" <> wrote in message
    > "WormWood" <> wrote in
    > :
    >

    >> "Old Goat" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Group
    >>> Need some help please. When ever I shutdown windows I get a popup
    >>> window with a 30 second countdown.
    >>> Anyone know how to get rid of this.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> The Old Goat
    >>> Please reply to group as e-mail address is spam trap
    >>>

    >> Is there an error message on the popup?
    >>

    > No, no error message.

    It would help to know which version Windows you are using. They aren't
    all alike <g> If you have an older XP, be sure it has SP1 at least,
    ideally, SP2. That would solve the shutdown - popup problem. Read this
    link:
    <http://asia.cnet.com/enterprise/apps/0,39035809,39086135-39000221c-1,00.htm>
    WormWood, Dec 16, 2004
  7. Old Goat

    Old Goat Guest

    "WormWood" <> wrote in

    > "Old Goat" <> wrote in message
    >> "WormWood" <> wrote in
    >> :
    >>

    >>> "Old Goat" <> wrote in message

    >>> Is there an error message on the popup?
    >>>

    >> No, no error message.

    > It would help to know which version Windows you are using. They aren't
    > all alike <g> If you have an older XP, be sure it has SP1 at least,
    > ideally, SP2. That would solve the shutdown - popup problem. Read this
    > link:
    > <http://asia.cnet.com/enterprise/apps/0,39035809,39086135-39000221c-1,0
    > 0.htm>

    Sorry should have put in first post.
    Running WindowsXP home with Service Pack 2
    All current updates installed as of 12/10/2004
    The popup I want to kill is as follows

    Window Title "SYSTEM SHUTDOWN"
    The body contains

    "Please save all work and log off.
    This shutdown was initated by"
    It then states the name of the computer and the log on name.
    followed by

    "this computer will shutdown in"
    followed by a countdown timer set at 30 seconds

    I followed your link wormwood, but it was no help.
    Thanks Anyway.

    The Old Goat
    Old Goat, Dec 16, 2004