WindowsXP serious startup problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SomebodyElse, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    Hi. My computer has suddenly developed this problem. Running Win XP Pro.
    When I start the computer I get the following message:

    ----------
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt:
    System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

    You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
    original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
    ----------

    The only thing I can find online is
    http://www.xtremepccentral.com/forums/archive/39/2003/08/2/6177 or very
    similar, which is what I did before I started looking for help online.

    Can anybody suggest anything other than this that I can do?

    It happened immediately after adding another hard drive (that I knew was
    poked) to try to recover some data from it. I first got this error when this
    other drive was attached, but disconnecting it doesn't make any difference
    (as I expected).

    Any advice much appreciated.

    Cheers
    Scott
    SomebodyElse, Nov 20, 2003

  2. SomebodyElse

    John Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:59:54 +1300, "SomebodyElse"
    <> wrote:

    NTFS the NT file system system file is corrupt and needs to be
    replaced, just boot to the CDROM and choose R
    or if you have the NTFSDOS tool from system internals (the tool that
    lets you write to NTFS from a floppy you could expand and copy the
    driver from the cd to the disk (I've only done that once with a
    corrupt sys driver on an exchange server)

    John, Nov 20, 2003

  3. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:59:54 +1300, "SomebodyElse"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > NTFS the NT file system system file is corrupt and needs to be
    > replaced, just boot to the CDROM and choose R
    > or if you have the NTFSDOS tool from system internals (the tool that
    > lets you write to NTFS from a floppy you could expand and copy the
    > driver from the cd to the disk (I've only done that once with a
    > corrupt sys driver on an exchange server)
    > >Any advice much appreciated.

    Tried that. Still the same :-(
    I think I might have to reinstall the os

    Cheers
    Scott
    SomebodyElse, Nov 20, 2003
  4. SomebodyElse

    steve Guest

    SomebodyElse allegedly said:

    > Hi. My computer has suddenly developed this problem. Running Win XP Pro.

    We can help you there..... :)

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers