    from the supplier? Its still under warranty...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Chris Wilkinson

    Harry Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
    > distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    > put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    > was realised)...
    >
    > The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    > circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    > from the supplier? Its still under warranty...

    Why don't you ask the supplier?

    Harry, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Chris Wilkinson

    JohnO Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
    > distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    > put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    > was realised)...
    >
    > The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    > circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    > from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    > Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...

    Yeah, you should be ok, as long as you have the licence sticker on the
    bottom of your laptop with the serial key on it.

    JohnO, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Hi there,

    JohnO wrote:
    > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
    >>distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    >>put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    >>was realised)...
    >>
    >>The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    >>circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    >>from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
    >>
    >>--
    >>Kind regards,
    >>
    >>Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    >>Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...

    > Yeah, you should be ok, as long as you have the licence sticker on the
    > bottom of your laptop with the serial key on it.

    Yup, it sure is there. I'm hoping the supplier will happily supply the
    disk since it wasn't my laptop. It was however my oooops!.... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 10, 2004
  5. Chris Wilkinson

    > Hi there,
    >
    > JohnO wrote:
    >> "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi there,
    >>>
    >>>A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
    >>>distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    >>>put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    >>>was realised)...
    >>>
    >>>The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    >>>circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    >>>from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Kind regards,
    >>>
    >>>Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    >>>Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...

    >> Yeah, you should be ok, as long as you have the licence sticker on the
    >> bottom of your laptop with the serial key on it.

    > Yup, it sure is there. I'm hoping the supplier will happily supply the
    > disk since it wasn't my laptop. It was however my oooops!.... :)

    It's been discussed in this newsgroup not too long ago - I forget the
    details of how exactly you go about ordering the replacement media from MS,
    but I'm pretty sure there's no requirement to show proof of purchase,
    ownership or anything like that.

    JohnO, Oct 10, 2004
  6. Chris Wilkinson

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
    > distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    > put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    > was realised)...
    >
    > The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    > circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    > from the supplier? Its still under warranty...

    When I asked about this question a few months back the general feeling
    was that you couldn't because the notebook manufacturer would have a
    license from MS to make their own "restore" CD based on a Windows
    installation and that, that CD was meant to replace the OEM version. In
    my case, a Dell, the "restore" CD was a modified XP install CD which
    worked fine when reinstalling on a repartitioned HDD.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 10, 2004
  7. Chris Wilkinson

    JohnO Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
    >> distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    >> put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    >> was realised)...
    >>
    >> The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    >> circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    >> from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
    >>

    > When I asked about this question a few months back the general feeling was
    > that you couldn't because the notebook manufacturer would have a license
    > from MS to make their own "restore" CD based on a Windows installation and
    > that, that CD was meant to replace the OEM version. In my case, a Dell,
    > the "restore" CD was a modified XP install CD which worked fine when
    > reinstalling on a repartitioned HDD.

    I thought that meant you couldn't use a laptop system restore cd to install
    on a different machine - as it installs hardware specific drivers etc.

    Subject to getting a standard XP install disk, you can install it on a
    laptop, but it won't install all the drivers for that machine's mobo etc. It
    will work, bit not particularly well. However you can subseuently download
    all the required drivers from the manufacturer.

    JohnO, Oct 10, 2004
  8. Chris Wilkinson

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > Hi there,
    >
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi there,
    > >>
    > >>A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
    > >>distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    > >>put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    > >>was realised)...
    > >>
    > >>The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    > >>circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    > >>from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Kind regards,
    > >>
    > >>Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    > >>Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...

    > > Yeah, you should be ok, as long as you have the licence sticker on the
    > > bottom of your laptop with the serial key on it.

    > Yup, it sure is there. I'm hoping the supplier will happily supply the
    > disk since it wasn't my laptop. It was however my oooops!.... :)
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Chris Wilkinson

    At least you're honest about your self inflicted problem.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 10, 2004
  9. Chris Wilkinson

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi there,
    >>>
    >>>A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
    >>>distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    >>>put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    >>>was realised)...
    >>>
    >>>The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    >>>circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    >>>from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
    >>>

    >>When I asked about this question a few months back the general feeling was
    >>that you couldn't because the notebook manufacturer would have a license
    >>from MS to make their own "restore" CD based on a Windows installation and
    >>that, that CD was meant to replace the OEM version. In my case, a Dell,
    >>the "restore" CD was a modified XP install CD which worked fine when
    >>reinstalling on a repartitioned HDD.

    > I thought that meant you couldn't use a laptop system restore cd to install
    > on a different machine - as it installs hardware specific drivers etc.
    >
    > Subject to getting a standard XP install disk, you can install it on a
    > laptop, but it won't install all the drivers for that machine's mobo etc. It
    > will work, bit not particularly well. However you can subseuently download
    > all the required drivers from the manufacturer.

    My Dell came with a separate "System" CD with all the drivers on. I
    used the Dell XP CD to perform a fresh install on the Dell it came with,
    not another PC

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 10, 2004
  10. Chris Wilkinson

    Italian Jobs Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:45:35 +1300, Chris Mayhew <>
    wrote:

    >Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
    >> distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    >> put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    >> was realised)...
    >>
    >> The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    >> circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    >> from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
    >>

    >When I asked about this question a few months back the general feeling
    >was that you couldn't because the notebook manufacturer would have a
    >license from MS to make their own "restore" CD based on a Windows
    >installation and that, that CD was meant to replace the OEM version. In
    >my case, a Dell, the "restore" CD was a modified XP install CD which
    >worked fine when reinstalling on a repartitioned HDD.

    I have even used my Dell disk on non Dell systems - with the
    appropriate key.

    Italian Jobs, Oct 10, 2004
  11. In article <8K6ad.11834$> in nz.comp on Sun, 10
    Oct 2004 21:51:11 +1300, JohnO <> says...

    > "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > >> Hi there,
    > >>
    > >> A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
    > >> distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    > >> put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    > >> was realised)...
    > >>
    > >> The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    > >> circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    > >> from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
    > >>

    > > When I asked about this question a few months back the general feeling was
    > > that you couldn't because the notebook manufacturer would have a license
    > > from MS to make their own "restore" CD based on a Windows installation and
    > > that, that CD was meant to replace the OEM version. In my case, a Dell,
    > > the "restore" CD was a modified XP install CD which worked fine when
    > > reinstalling on a repartitioned HDD.

    > I thought that meant you couldn't use a laptop system restore cd to install
    > on a different machine - as it installs hardware specific drivers etc.
    >
    > Subject to getting a standard XP install disk, you can install it on a
    > laptop, but it won't install all the drivers for that machine's mobo etc. It
    > will work, bit not particularly well. However you can subseuently download
    > all the required drivers from the manufacturer.

    Depends on the H/W. I installed XP on an IBM netvista recently and no
    problems were noted, it seemed to find everything OK.

    I understand perfectly what you are saying as I have seen numerous
    win95/98 install problems with proprietary obscure hardware in brand name
    machines. However the brandname manufacturers these days do go in some
    cases to considerable lengths to have their drivers included in the
    standard XP installations. In fact I would have to say that I have only
    seen problems with HP machines; never with Compaq or IBM machines.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 10, 2004
  12. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:39:38 +1300, <Italian Jobs <>> says...
    > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:45:35 +1300, Chris Mayhew <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > >> Hi there,
    > >>
    > >> A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a linux
    > >> distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    > >> put linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    > >> was realised)...
    > >>
    > >> The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    > >> circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    > >> from the supplier? Its still under warranty...
    > >>

    > >When I asked about this question a few months back the general feeling
    > >was that you couldn't because the notebook manufacturer would have a
    > >license from MS to make their own "restore" CD based on a Windows
    > >installation and that, that CD was meant to replace the OEM version. In
    > >my case, a Dell, the "restore" CD was a modified XP install CD which
    > >worked fine when reinstalling on a repartitioned HDD.

    > I have even used my Dell disk on non Dell systems - with the
    > appropriate key.

    That may be possible in some cases however in some brand name machines
    the restore CD is locked to the machine's Bios and won't work on a
    different brand of machine.

    It's also likely that the CD key of a generic computer with a standard XP
    OEM disk won't work with a restore CD for a brandname machine.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 10, 2004
  13. Chris Wilkinson

    MarkH Guest

    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in

    > Hi there,
    >
    > A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a Linux
    > distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    > put Linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    > was realised)...
    >
    > The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    > circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    > from the supplier? Its still under warranty...

    If you could find a standard WinXP install disk then you could use that, as
    long as you have a valid OEM number on the sticker under the laptop then
    there are no piracy issues. A copy of the WinXP disk would also work fine.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Oct 11, 2004
  14. In article <uSnad.2445704$> in nz.comp on
    Mon, 11 Oct 2004 04:20:43 GMT, MarkH <> says...
    > Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in
    >
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > A small ooops meant that WindowsXP was zapped while installing a Linux
    > > distro to some spare space (accidentally selected Windows partition to
    > > put Linux system on, XP partition zeroed then overwritten before mistake
    > > was realised)...
    > >
    > > The laptop never came with a WindowsXP install disk, so under those
    > > circumstances would it be possible to get the OEM disk for that machine
    > > from the supplier? Its still under warranty...

    > If you could find a standard WinXP install disk then you could use that, as
    > long as you have a valid OEM number on the sticker under the laptop then
    > there are no piracy issues. A copy of the WinXP disk would also work fine.

    However, not all license codes can be guaranteed to work with all
    versions of the XP install CD.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 11, 2004