  1. I have a windowsXP box that will use my wireless NIc card even when I have my
    system connected to my netwrok port in my office. Is there anyway to tell the
    OS to check and use the Wired NIC before using the wireless connection?
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFydHk=?=, Dec 30, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFydHk=?=

    Paul DeVivo Guest

    "Marty" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a windowsXP box that will use my wireless NIc card even when I have

    my
    > system connected to my netwrok port in my office. Is there anyway to tell

    the
    > OS to check and use the Wired NIC before using the wireless connection?

    With Service Pack 2 installed, you can enable and disable the wireless NIC.
    With the wireless disabled, the wired NIC will be the only active NIC.
    Paul DeVivo, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Greetings Marty,

    When multiple network connections are available Windows XP uses the one that
    has the lowest "metric" value. If both of your network connections are
    enabled, assign a lower metric to the network connection that you want to
    use, and a higher metric value to the other network connection. To assign a
    metric value to the network connection:

    1. Open the Network Connections folder, then right click the desired
    connection.
    2. Click Properties | Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    3. Click General, then click the Advanced tab.
    4. Uncheck "Automatic metric value" checkbox
    5. Assign metric value into the box.

    An Explanation of the Automatic Metric Feature for Internet Protocol Routes
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299540

    Eric Cross
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com