    to the start as if the CD is being booted from the beginning - does the
    checks again etc...

    The BIOS looks OK, CD ROM 1st boot then HD etc etc??

    =?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=, Aug 20, 2005

  2. A driver issue. You need to get updated storage drivers and load them via F6
    during initial install. If I had to speculate based on what you've described
    here, once it reboots it's not seeing a HD at all, and therefore boots from
    the CD directly again as the only bootable device present.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 20, 2005

  3. Hi - think you're right - don't have an OS installed at all though to install
    the driver?

    =?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=, Aug 20, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Since you are posting on this site you obviously have access to a PC. Go to
    your motherboard site and download the latest drivers. Extract any drivers
    you need for your hard drives (SATA or RAID) and put them on a floppy. Hit
    F6 when requested right after the Windows install disk starts up. When
    requested insert your floppy, hit S and select the drivers you need.

    "1st time PC builder..." <> wrote
    in message news:...

    John Barnes, Aug 20, 2005
  5. tried F^ - doesn't see any devices and wants to boot from floppy - don't have
    a floppy drive or a disk, just cd...

    =?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=, Aug 20, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you have SATA drives or are going to use RAID, you NEED a floppy. OTOH
    since you are using an Nforce4 chipset motherboard, if you have SATA II
    drives, you may be out of luck.

    "1st time PC builder..." <> wrote
    in message news:...

    John Barnes, Aug 20, 2005
  7. For more on F6 and loading storage drivers:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/06/11/52162.aspx

    And for some more on the different modes for storage driver load during
    setup, and why you care:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/07/25/59560.aspx

    HTH

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 20, 2005
  8. yeah, but i have no floppy drive only cd! is there any way around this bcos
    windows only asks me to insert a floppy?

    =?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=, Aug 20, 2005
  9. You'll need to temporarily attach a floppy to it. No choice. Yes, we all
    hate it. But won't change before Vista. (Note that most mobos will let you
    use a USB floppy here.)

    The going price of a floppy drive is well under $20 USD.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 20, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    buy a floppy and hook it up at least temporarily, like Charlie said. You
    can find them at most Computer stores for around $7-10

    "1st time PC builder..." <> wrote
    in message news:...

    John Barnes, Aug 20, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    I'm kicking my head now to try and remember what I did when I just built my
    GA-K8NXP-9 because I ran over this exact same problem and overcame it pretty
    quickly...

    One thing is for certain, I did NOT have to use F6 to load any storage
    drivers. The only caveat is that I was installing WinXP Pro x64 and not
    plain old WinXP...

    I only have one Maxtor 300Gb SATA drive which was fresh and empty from
    supply and if I remember right, this behaviour only happened when I was
    connected on the SATA sockets (Silicon Image Chipset) as opposed to the SATA
    II sockets (nForce) AND I also had all the RAID functionality enabled in the
    BIOS (even though I wasn't using it).

    What I think I did then was to go into the BIOS and turn off all the RAID
    functionality and swap the drive across to the first socket S_ATA0_SB
    (physically actually the 2nd down in the set) and the install ran like a
    dream and this time the setup recognised and offered my main Maxtor volume
    for the install.

    My logic for doing this? The I/O for the SATA II sockets is derived directly
    from the main nForce4 chipset which will always be at the core of things
    whereas the SATA sockets are derived from the PCI bus via an add-on Sil3114
    chip...

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Aug 20, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Just for the record, I have a different MOBO, but I have no problem
    installing X86 or X64 on a SATA drive attached to the SATA connectors,
    without F6 drivers.
    Plug in a SATA II drive to the same connector and nothing works, with or
    without various combinations of drivers as described previously.

    John Barnes, Aug 20, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    That kinda suggests then that SATA is natively supported whereas SATA II
    isn't ?

    Colin Nowell, Aug 20, 2005
  14. on some mobos. depends on the controller chip

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 20, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Yes but Nvidia has claimed "native support for next-generation SATA 3Gb/s
    (SATA II) hard drives" and that is one of the reasons I bought an Nforce4
    MOBO. Since ASUS refuses help and Nvidia is unreachable, I am stuck using
    my SATA drives for systems and SATA II for a data drive. I am beginning to
    think I should have stayed with VIA since I see there is a problem with the
    cooling of the Nforce4 chip too (9000 rpm and high failure rate).

    John Barnes, Aug 21, 2005
  16. yes, it's interesting that VIA, often considered a 2nd tier chipset mfg, has
    been head and shoulders above nvidia in their success with x64 Edition.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 21, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?MXN0IHRpbWUgUEMgYnVpbGRlci4uLg==?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Hmmmm.... I don't like the sound of that either.... :-(

    Colin Nowell, Aug 21, 2005