WindowsXp ding.wav does not sound when releasing Play Control Slider in Volume Control

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by FattyMcGee, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. FattyMcGee

    FattyMcGee Guest

    Running Windows Xp Pro Sp2...

    By default, when I set the system speaker volume using the speaker icon in
    the notification area next to the system clock, the ding.wav file is played
    through the external system speakers to aid in selecting the proper volume.
    For no apparent reason the ding.wav sound was replaced by the standard
    system beep sound played through the small case speaker.Additionally, the
    Recycle Bin's shredding sound effect has disappeared as well. Under Sounds
    and Audio Device Properties, all sounds are visible in the Program Events
    Window, and all play their respective sounds when you push the play/preview
    icon. The sounds are all there I just can't get at them!

    How do you restore the system to normal behaviour. I tried setting up a user
    account apart from my own and found that by logging into the user account
    all sounds were present and intact - the idea here - to copy or export the
    "good" registry values over to my existing account. This did not work.
    Simply turning Schemes on or off or saving a Scheme under a different name
    does not work either.
    (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default) copied Current
    and Default values even though the values present on the existing account
    were identical! Is something redirecting sound I am unaware of? The computer
    is reportedly free from viruses and adware.

    Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanking all those who respond, in advance.
    FM

    FattyMcGee, Mar 30, 2005