    the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the same location.

    Thanks
    Me
    Tis-I, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Tis-I

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Tis-I" <> wrote in
    news:yP7Db.29470$:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Is it possible to use roaming profiles on windowsXP PC's used in a
    > peer to peer configuration or do you have to have an authenticating
    > server to log on to?
    >
    > The scenario would be 6 PC's, and a file server with all documents and
    > Outlook PST files on the file server. People could come into work and
    > sit at the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the
    > same location.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Me

    AFAIK you need a server,emulating a domain controller to join and
    authenticate to, to support roaming profiles.
    This server is simple, free and works really well for your proposed use
    by using SAMBA to emulate a domain.
    There are many similar alternatives available.
    http://www.contribs.org

    Novell Small Business Suite is also free for 5 users.
    http://www.novell.com/products/smallbiz/nsbs_starterpack/

    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Tis-I

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <yP7Db.29470$>,
    says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is it possible to use roaming profiles on windowsXP PC's used in a peer to
    > peer configuration or do you have to have an authenticating server to log on
    > to?

    No peer to peer Windows network provides any mechanism whatsoever for the
    automatic transfer of files from one machine to another, which is
    required for roaming.

    The authentication mechanism on peer to peer Windows network exists
    solely at a level of shared resource access, and does not extend the
    other features ordinarily found in full server implementations.

    > The scenario would be 6 PC's, and a file server with all documents and
    > Outlook PST files on the file server. People could come into work and sit at
    > the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the same location.

    There is nothing to stop you from placing the files on a mapped network
    drive, however you may find that Outlook does not permit this to occur.
    Small office systems based on peer to peer networking with a particular
    workstation used to store all of the files for access by other
    workstations are fairly commonplace.

    Mainlander, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Tis-I

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <yP7Db.29470$>,
    says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is it possible to use roaming profiles on windowsXP PC's used in a peer to
    > peer configuration or do you have to have an authenticating server to log on
    > to?
    >
    > The scenario would be 6 PC's, and a file server with all documents and
    > Outlook PST files on the file server. People could come into work and sit at
    > the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the same location.

    If i were you i'd setup a dummy situation, where a sample (half gig to a
    gig) .pst file is on another computer. When you realise what this
    (reasonably largish) file will do to your network performance, I think
    you'll quickly change your mind about having *lots* of .pst files on a
    'server' PC.

    I'd recommend you take a look at SBS 2003 Standard or Premium - your
    server doesn't have to be anything fancy but you'll know how your
    business dictates that (whether you want RAID, tape backup etc etc - hey
    it's not expensive surely to have two SATA drives hardware RAID
    mirrored). SBS is excellent value for money, particularly when you find
    out how easy it is to install and deploy - it's all "out of the box"
    wizard driven stuff, and it all works!

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Tis-I wrote:

    > Is it possible to use roaming profiles on windowsXP PC's used in a peer to
    > peer configuration or do you have to have an authenticating server to log on
    > to?
    >
    > The scenario would be 6 PC's, and a file server with all documents and
    > Outlook PST files on the file server. People could come into work and sit at
    > the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the same location.

    Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion. And, if the
    machine crashes you lose your changes since they will not be copied back.

    Get exchange or something that will run terminal server. Much easier to manage
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Tis-I

    T.N.O. Guest

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    > Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion.

    Isnt that the limit for pst files?

    I've never had any luck once they get over 1.5GB myself... they almost
    always end up corrupting themselves, and I have to either grab one from
    backup, or repair it... I now use a new one for each month, and drop the
    last one out of Outlook after 6 months, so I have 6 active PST files,
    each ~300MB.
    T.N.O., Dec 15, 2003
  7. T.N.O. wrote:

    > Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion.

    > Isnt that the limit for pst files?
    >
    > I've never had any luck once they get over 1.5GB myself... they almost
    > always end up corrupting themselves, and I have to either grab one from
    > backup, or repair it... I now use a new one for each month, and drop the
    > last one out of Outlook after 6 months, so I have 6 active PST files,
    > each ~300MB.

    Yup, its the limit, then the shit hits the fan and you cant even delete things
    from it without compacting it.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 15, 2003
  8. Tis-I

    Tis-I Guest

    Thanks people.

    Not exactly what I had hoped to hear but I guess that's life.

    Well at least I know that Father Xmas will be coming down my chimney soon
    :)

    Cheers

    Tis-I, Dec 15, 2003
  9. Tis-I

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    > > Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion.

    > Isnt that the limit for pst files?
    >
    > I've never had any luck once they get over 1.5GB myself... they almost
    > always end up corrupting themselves, and I have to either grab one from
    > backup, or repair it... I now use a new one for each month, and drop the
    > last one out of Outlook after 6 months, so I have 6 active PST files,
    > each ~300MB.

    I always keep my personal one below 100 MB, why does anyone need so much
    mail archived?

    Mainlander, Dec 16, 2003
  10. Tis-I

    T.N.O. Guest

    Mainlander wrote:
    >>>Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion.

    >>Isnt that the limit for pst files?
    >>I've never had any luck once they get over 1.5GB myself... they almost
    >>always end up corrupting themselves, and I have to either grab one from
    >>backup, or repair it... I now use a new one for each month, and drop the
    >>last one out of Outlook after 6 months, so I have 6 active PST files,
    >>each ~300MB.

    > I always keep my personal one below 100 MB, why does anyone need so much
    > mail archived?

    Some is business email... I cant be bothered sorting it, and I like to
    be able to refer to stuff from ages ago(I consider 6 months to be ages),
    at the click of a button.
    T.N.O., Dec 16, 2003
  11. Nathan Mercer, Dec 16, 2003
  12. "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    > > Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion.

    > Isnt that the limit for pst files?

    These days Outlook (version 2003) uses a new PST file format, Unicode, that
    has a theoritical limit of 33TB
    Outlook has a policy that lets you limit the size of PSTs, by default this
    is set to 20GB

    > I've never had any luck once they get over 1.5GB myself... they almost
    > always end up corrupting themselves, and I have to either grab one from
    > backup, or repair it... I now use a new one for each month, and drop the
    > last one out of Outlook after 6 months, so I have 6 active PST files,
    > each ~300MB.

    Exactly, just because you can make it big doesn't mean you should, I stick
    to around that size myself - or create a new archive PST each year or
    whichever comes first
    Ultralarge PSTs suck, putting all your eggs in on unbacked up basked is a
    bad idea
    Nathan Mercer, Dec 16, 2003
  13. Tis-I

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:54:21 +1300, "Nathan Mercer"
    <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

    >Ultralarge PSTs suck, putting all your eggs in on unbacked up basked is a
    >bad idea

    Here's a good trick. Back them up to CD. However you can't *read* them
    off a CD. You have to copy them back to disk, then make them R/W. For
    some reason you can't open PSTs if they are read only.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Dec 16, 2003
  14. Tis-I

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>, *@*.*
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    > > > Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion.

    > > Isnt that the limit for pst files?
    > >
    > > I've never had any luck once they get over 1.5GB myself... they almost
    > > always end up corrupting themselves, and I have to either grab one from
    > > backup, or repair it... I now use a new one for each month, and drop the
    > > last one out of Outlook after 6 months, so I have 6 active PST files,
    > > each ~300MB.

    > I always keep my personal one below 100 MB, why does anyone need so much
    > mail archived?

    my next project will be a addin for Outlook which archives off all my
    List Serv email (usually ~200 a day) into my SQL Server..

    why..

    because i need some experience in db programming with .net and because i
    get bored of web based list serv archive services..

    i got all the software for free (perfectly legally) so i may as well use
    it.

    Steven H
    Steven H, Dec 18, 2003
  15. Tis-I

    E. Guest

    Tis-I wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Is it possible to use roaming profiles on windowsXP PC's used in a peer to
    > peer configuration or do you have to have an authenticating server to log on
    > to?
    >
    > The scenario would be 6 PC's, and a file server with all documents and
    > Outlook PST files on the file server. People could come into work and sit at
    > the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the same location.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Me

    Yup. Piece of piss.
    Right click "my computer", manage, users, click on the username,
    profiles, profile path. Point it at the "server".
    You'll have to do this for every account on every PC.
    Bear in mind that:

    -there is no central management of anything, so if you change a password
    you'll have to go to every Pc and change it (or use remote management)
    -XP Home has a 5 user connection limit.
    -you can do exactly the same thing with a reasonable bit of hardware,
    linux/samba and a good book.
    E.
    E., Dec 18, 2003