    OS is Windows XP x64 Pro...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 20, 2009

  2. "Ken" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    >> Very strange...
    >>
    >> I will try again tomorrow.
    >>
    >> OS is Windows XP x64 Pro...
    >>
    >> Bye,
    >> Skybuck.
    >>

    > I have the same OS and just finished dealing with that same problem. After
    > several exchanges of e-mail "help" from MS, we finally determined my
    > active
    > account was corrupt. I created a new account and update worked. YMMV.

    Hello,

    Today I tried again... I get this error message did you get the same one ?

    I also noticed file/folder name corruption a few days ago... It was
    something very very very rare and probably has to do with the 255 character
    limit for file/folder names... it also happened when using Delphi 2007
    IDE...

    Could be a Delphi 2007 IDE... but could also be some rare/weird Windows
    corruption.

    It could also be date or file system related...

    You mention account corruption... maybe it was also caused by such a big...

    That we both are experiencing these kinds of problems could hint at a
    general corruption bug somewhere in xp x64.

    I re-saved the file to a different folder and all is fine... then saved it
    back and all is fine...

    Anyway this is the message I get:

    I can remember I also saw some message which said I was not administrator ?
    which is kinda weird since I am always administrator ?

    Maybe windows pc's are getting attacked by some websites which alter the
    administrator account ?!?

    Also how did you fix it ? Did you just create a new administrator account
    ?!?

    (everything I write above is pure speculation...)

    "
    Windows Update Error

    Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested
    page.

    Select from any of the following pages for information about Windows Update
    services, or send us your feedback.

    Windows Update Home Page
    About Windows Update
    Support Information

    You can also get online support if you are having problems with Windows
    Update.
    "

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 21, 2009

  3. I will try to look into these "known problems to see if that solves it"

    It's kinda late not sure if I am gonna try now...

    Text is from this trouble shooting site:

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

    Possible solution 1 (for display update error):

    (Error message is almost the same but slightly different instead of supply
    it says display:

    Problem Description:
    This may occur if Service Pack 1 has been removed from the computer either
    through System
    Restore or by reinstalling Windows XP into the same directory. You may see
    a page that states that the Web page has an unexpected error or cannot
    display the page that was requested.

    Resolutions:
    The value for the CSDVersion in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows
    needs to be changed to 0. If you are comfortable editing the registry,
    follow the instructions below.
    1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
    2. In the Open box type regedit and click "OK."
    3. Browse in the left frame to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows
    4. In the right frame you will see the key CSDVersion. Double click this
    key.
    5. Change the value to 0 and click "OK."
    6. Restart the computer.

    Issue Applies To:
    Windows XP

    Did this resolve your problem?

    Your answer is anonymous and is used to help improve content on this site.
    Your privacy is protected. More about this

    Possible solution 2 (for administrator error):

    When trying to use the Windows Update Web site you receive an
    "Administrators Only" error message (Windows XP only)

    Problem Description:
    When you attempt to use the Windows Update site, you may receive an error
    message similar to the following:

    Administrators Only (-2146828218) To install items from Windows Update,
    you
    must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators
    group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy
    settings
    may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

    You receive this message even though you are already logged on as an
    administrator or a member of the Administrators group.

    Resolutions:
    This issue indicates a problem accessing a resource and may not indicate a
    lack of administrative privileges. One of the resolutions below may help.

    To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

    1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
    2. In the Open box, type regedit and then click "OK."
    3. Locate and select the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate
    4. click "Edit," and then click "Permissions."
    5. Click "Add," and then type "Everyone" in the
    dialog box that appears.
    6. Click "Check Names," and then click "OK."
    7. Select "Everyone" in the "Group or user names" list.
    8. Under Permissions for "Everyone," select the "Full Control" check box
    in the "Allow" column. Note that the "Read" check box in the "Allow"
    column is now also selected.
    9. Select each user, in turn, in the "Group or user names" list, and then
    verify
    that no check boxes are selected in the "Deny" column. Clear any check
    boxes that are selected in the "Deny" column.
    10. Click "Advanced," and then select the "Replace permission entries on all
    child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" check
    box, and then click "OK."
    11. Click "Yes" if you are prompted for confirmation.

    NOTE: You should also check the firewall and the proxy server settings and
    configurations, or ask the appropriate administrator to do so.
    You can work around this issue by adding the following to the exceptions
    list in the Internet

    Options Proxy Settings:

    Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    V4.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    Download.Windowsupdate.com

    To access the Exceptions settings.
    1. Open Internet Explorer
    2. Click "Tools," and then click "Internet Options."
    3. Click "Connections," and then click "LAN Settings."
    4. Click "Advanced" and add windowsupdate.microsoft.com to the exceptions
    list.
    1. Open Internet Explorer, click "Tools" and then click "Internet Options."
    2. Click "Advanced".
    3. Scroll down until you see "Use HTTP 1.1 through Proxy Connections," and
    then select the
    check box.
    4. Click "OK."
    5. Close and restart Internet Explorer. You should now be able to connect to
    Windows Update.
    Rename the subdirectory C:Windows\System32\Catroot2 to
    C:Windows\System32\Catroot2temp\.
    Restart the computer and then try to run Windows Update.

    Skybuck Flying, Oct 21, 2009
  4. Ok,

    I am not going to do any reboots now... it's to late and it takes to long.

    But I just want to document what I found out about solution 1:

    My CSDVersion is 0x00000200 (512)

    The solution says to change this to 0.

    I hope nothing bad happens if I try that ?!

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 21, 2009
  5. It seems CSDVersion is some kind of "variable/field" which indicates what
    service pack is installed.

    I wonder what will happen if this is changed from 512 to 0...

    Will this trigger a re-downloading of sp1 or sp2 ?

    That might **** up my computer badly ?!?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 21, 2009
  6. I am also getting a little bit worried, some people mention a virus that
    might change CSDVersion maybe to deliberately disable windows update...

    I can imagine a virus writer might want to disable windows update because it
    has a "anti virus scanning" tool or something like that...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 21, 2009
  7. My file systems do have some problems... probably because of crashes in the
    past or so...

    Now I am gonna schedule chkdsk and hope for the best ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 21, 2009
  8. Skybuck Flying

    Skybuck Guest

    On 20 okt, 07:26, "Ken" <> wrote:
    > "SkybuckFlying" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:cd5a1$4add08a0$d53372a9$1.nb.home.nl...> Very strange...
    >
    > > I will try again tomorrow.

    > > OS isWindowsXP x64 Pro...

    > > Bye,
    > >  Skybuck.

    > I have the same OS and just finished dealing with that same problem. After
    > several exchanges of e-mail "help" from MS, we finally determined my active
    > account was corrupt. I created a new account andupdateworked. YMMV.

    I created a new administrator account... the updating worked, however
    I lost my old account ?!?

    The data is still there 1.5 GB but I cannot login...

    This is a very bad solution because this gets rid of a whole lot of
    settings and data probably.

    This also seems like the Mac OS X bug where people loose their
    desktop.

    I am also wondering if you are a bad person and telling me this
    solution to cause damage on my system.

    I shall now have to investigate how to get my old account back without
    overwriting it.
    Skybuck, Oct 21, 2009
  9. Ok,

    I read a solution somewhere else...

    It's quite simple but first what I did wrong:

    I tried to login with "Skybuck"...

    The trick is to login in with:

    "Administrator"

    and then the password...

    Thank god it worked... all settings back to normal ! =D

    I will keep using this account... I don't really believe the corruption
    thingy... or maybe there is some thruth in it I don't know... I will pay
    attention to it... what triggered me to do a checkdisk... is that my
    settings in company of heroes where lost... which is kinda strange... I
    assume file damage or so that should now be fixed...

    But putting back all the settings to a new account would take ages... so not
    gonna do that...

    For now I will use the other account to do windows updates when needed... if
    the main one continues not to work ! ;)

    Thanks,
    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 21, 2009
  10. Yeah I just checked... the main/default/built in administrator account fails
    to update windows...

    So for now I will use the secondary account when needed...

    This is kinda strange ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 21, 2009
  11. Loosing account settings seems kinda scary... therefore I am gonna make a
    backup account... and try this method/fix to copy as much stuff as possible
    to backup account just to see if it will work for most stuff:

    (My main account does look a bit weird: NTUSER.DAT is 37 MB ?!?)

    http://www.modernstreet.com/windows/fixing-a-corrupt-user-profile-in-windows-xp/

    Most important information from that link:

    "
    You can start by creating new user profile on the computer:

    •Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.
    Any profile that does not have administration rights will not be able to
    make the required changes.
    •Go to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts

    •Click the Advanced tab, and then click the advanced button.
    •In the left section of the window, click the Users folder.
    •On the Action menu, click New User.
    •Enter the user information that corresponds with your networks naming
    conventions, and then click Create. Naming your user account is very
    important. If the name does not match your networks current naming
    conventions it can cause trouble down the road with regular administration
    duties.
    Creating a new user profile on a workgroup computer:

    •Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator access rights.
    •Go to Start, and then choose Control Panel > User Accounts
    •Under pick a task, choose Create a New Account.
    •Type a name for the user information (be sure this matches your current
    naming conventions as well), and then click Next.
    •Select an account type, and then click Create Account.
    The following steps will tell you how to get your old profile copied into
    your new profile without losing any of the information. This will not copy
    your outlook profile; only your windows profile. It is important that you
    back up any office profiles separately.

    •Log on to a profile that is not the same one that you are trying to copy
    from.
    •In Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), click Tools > Folder Options.
    •Click the View tab > Show hidden files and folders > Clear the Hide
    Protected Operating System Files check box, and then click OK. Ignore any
    warning message for this time.

    •Find the C:\Documents and Settings\corruptprofile folder, C is the Windows
    XP hosting drive, and “corruptprofile” is the name of the profile you want
    to copy the user profile from
    •Copy all the files in that folder except the following files:
    ?Ntuser.dat
    ?Ntuser.dat.log
    ?Ntuser.ini
    •Find the C:\Documents and Settings\newprofile folder, where C is the drive
    on which Windows XP is installed, and “newprofile” is the name of the user
    profile that you created.
    •Now paste in the data you just copied from your old profile. Be careful not
    to copy and paste the above files that were supposed to be left out.
    •Restart the computer and log on to your new profile.
    This should correct typical problems you may have experienced as a result of
    a corrupt user profile. If this option seems a little extreme for you, a
    System Restore might be able to fix the problem as well, but System Restore
    is usually a better option for a stand alone system rather than for a
    networked machine.
    "

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 21, 2009
  12. Skybuck Flying

    Skybuck Guest

    Hmmm the copy failed... it said: "Cannot find 2 v 2 dolfins"...

    I searched this file... it's a Red Alert 3 Replay of zero bytes...

    Maybe the file got destroyed or was corrupted or was never created...
    it does not have a creation date or modification date... it's kinda
    weird.

    I shall make a screenshot just for the fun of it...

    I shall now delete this file and see what happens ;)
    Skybuck, Oct 21, 2009
  13. Skybuck Flying

    Skybuck Guest

    On 21 okt, 23:47, Skybuck <> wrote:
    > Hmmm the copy failed... it said: "Cannot find 2 v 2 dolfins"...
    >
    > I searched this file... it's a Red Alert 3 Replay of zero bytes...
    >
    > Maybe the file got destroyed or was corrupted or was never created...
    > it does not have a creation date or modification date... it's kinda
    > weird.
    >
    > I shall make a screenshot just for the fun of it...
    >
    > I shall now delete this file and see what happens ;)

    Hmm even more interesting this file cannot be deleted I shall make
    another screenshot to capture the error message,

    It says:"Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or
    disk."

    That sounds kinda bad like a bad sector maybe ?!? Hmm...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck, Oct 21, 2009
  14. Skybuck Flying

    Skybuck Guest

    This link contains a solution hopefully:

    http://blog.dotsmart.net/2008/06/12/solved-cannot-read-from-the-source-file-or-disk/

    It explains what the problem might be... NTFS allows all kind of weird
    folder and filenames, long ones too which is good.

    But Win32API sometimes not...

    The filename probably ends with spaces or a dot... how it was created
    I don't know... maybe by some special red alert 3 api call or path
    convention... kinda funny.

    Seems today I am fixing lot's of bugs with the OS ;)

    Fingers crossed... now I am gonna try the solution, I try to copy
    paste the text here in case that website goes down:

    Solved: “Cannot read from the source file or disk”
    Posted June 12, 2008
    Filed under: Windows |
    I’ve finally solved a problem that’s been bugging me for years. One of
    our file shares ended up with several undelete-able files. Attempting
    to delete them results in “Error Deleting File or Folder – Cannot
    delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk“.

    Even going to the file’s properties to check permissions presented a
    very blank properties dialog. And a CHKDSK didn’t sort thing out
    either.

    It turns out the problem was: the filename ended with a dot, e.g. it
    was something like “C:\Temp\Stuff\Sales Agreement.“. As far as Windows
    is concerned this is an invalid file name: so although it gets
    reported in a directory listing, the standard Windows APIs for
    manipulating files subsequently deny its existence.

    So how did this file get created in the first place? The answer: a
    Mac. The file was on a file share which had been accessed by a Mac
    user. Macs tend to write all sorts of metadata to extra “._DSStore”
    files and suchlike and had left this file behind.

    So if Windows doesn’t appear to allow these file names, how did they
    get to be created? Well, it turns out that NTFS allows all sort of
    file name/path weirdness that Windows, or specifically the Win32 API,
    doesn’t allow. For example, NTFS actually allows file paths up to 32K
    but Windows restricts file paths to no more than 260 characters
    (MAX_PATH). I suppose this is all for DOS/Windows 9x backwards
    compatibility. As these files were being accessed over a file share I
    guess the usual Win32 checks are bypassed.

    But thankfully you can get Win32 to ignore these checks by prefixing
    your file paths with \\?\, (ie. C:\Temp\SomeFile.txt becomes \\?\C:
    \Temp\SomeFile.txt) which I discovered after reading this blog post
    about long paths in .NET.

    So at a command prompt I was able to delete the file using:

    del "\\?\C:\Temp\Stuff\Sales Agreement."If it’s a folder/directory
    you’re trying to delete use the rd or rmdir command, e.g.:

    rd /s "\\?\C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Annoying
    Folder."Tip: as you’re typing the file/directory name use the TAB key
    to auto-complete the name (press TAB repeatedly to cycle through
    possible names).

    Of course the corollary of all of this is that you could really annoy
    somebody by doing this:

    echo Hi > "\\?\%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Annoying file you can't
    delete."But you wouldn’t do that would you?

    "

    (clipboard had some problems copieing from after (ie.C:\) I fixed the
    posting a little bit hopefully it all got through ;))

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck, Oct 21, 2009
  15. Skybuck Flying

    Skybuck Guest

    Something very strange was going on with the Battlefield 2\cache
    folder in "my documents"

    "My documents" is also a very strange folder which does not show up in
    windows explorer... I am not sure if that's normal or if it's because
    of corruption... I also hate the way windows and applications store
    stuff in this folder which becomes one big junk folder.

    However the problem with the battlefield 2 cache folder is that it
    kept copieing and copieing and copieing this folder as if there were
    millions of files ?!?

    Windows explorer only show 23 items...

    Either the copieing was buggy, or there are millions of files in
    there ?!?

    Whatever the case may be it seems windows and windows explorer in XP
    x64 is horribly bugged ?!

    Now a new problem has arisen with this copieing technique:

    Cannot copy "featuredvm": Access is denied.

    It's kinda annoying that windows breaks of the copieing... so now I
    would have to re-do the copieing ?

    If it did not copy this file it might not be so bad... now I have to
    somehow manually get rid of it from the selection which might actually
    be impossible ?!

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck, Oct 21, 2009
  16. Skybuck Flying

    Skybuck Guest

    On 22 okt, 00:23, Skybuck <> wrote:
    > Something very strange was going on with the Battlefield 2\cache
    > folder in "my documents"
    >
    > "My documents" is also a very strange folder which does not show up in
    > windows explorer... I am not sure if that's normal or if it's because
    > of corruption... I also hate the way windows and applications store
    > stuff in this folder which becomes one big junk folder.
    >
    > However the problem with the battlefield 2 cache folder is that it
    > kept copieing and copieing and copieing this folder as if there were
    > millions of files ?!?
    >
    > Windows explorer only show 23 items...
    >
    > Either the copieing was buggy, or there are millions of files in
    > there ?!?
    >
    > Whatever the case may be it seems windows and windows explorer in XP
    > x64 is horribly bugged ?!
    >
    > Now a new problem has arisen with this copieing technique:
    >
    > Cannot copy "featuredvm": Access is denied.
    >
    > It's kinda annoying that windows breaks of the copieing... so now I
    > would have to re-do the copieing ?
    >
    > If it did not copy this file it might not be so bad... now I have to
    > somehow manually get rid of it from the selection which might actually
    > be impossible ?!
    >
    > Bye,
    >  Skybuck.

    What I feared has become true... the problem seems maybe even worse:

    Search cannot find: "featuredvm"

    It does find:

    featuredvm.ini
    and
    featuredvm.png

    What does this mean ? Maybe featuredvm is an invisible file because of
    windows explorer limitations ?!?

    I am going to give up on this copy method... I could try a batch file
    and get rid of the file.. but it's too much work...

    I doubt it's gonna work at all..

    So screw this...

    Gonna delete the account and the folders to get rid of it... for
    now...

    Hopefully microsoft will introduce a "repair profile" tool because
    this right now kinda sux !
    Skybuck, Oct 21, 2009