    Anyone had any problems running 2003.net x64 with Exchange 2003 and SQL2000?

    Cheers
    Paul.
    Servlan Ltd, Nov 12, 2005

  2. Please describe your specific problem.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 12, 2005

  3. What's the question. Exchange does NOT run on Server 2003 x64 Edition at
    all.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 12, 2005
  4. To run SQL Server 2000 I think you need to have the latest Service Pack
    installed, also as Charlie said, Exchange Server 2003 is not supported on
    x64, Exchange 12 will be.

    From the Exchange Blog:
    Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2000 Server depend on the Exchange Installable
    File System (ExIFS) driver, a 32-bit piece of code that runs in kernel mode.
    For Windows 2003 x64 Editions, all kernel-mode code must be native 64-bit.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 12, 2005
  5. Servlan Ltd

    Servlan Guest

    I was led to believe x64 was backwards compatible - allowing you to run
    32bit applications???

    ....or is this another ploy for MS to get more money from people!

    I guess thats real reason.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    Servlan, Nov 12, 2005
  6. Source? It was made clear not all 32 bit applications will run on x64, if
    they use a 16 bit installer, some applications also have dependency on 16
    bit legacy code which will prevent the application from running also on x64.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 12, 2005
  7. Applications yes, drivers no. Applications not requiring a device driver
    are fine under WOW64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 12, 2005
  8. The problem is that Exchange uses a system level driver to access the file
    system. (Don't get me started!) Because this is a system level driver, it
    MUST be 64 bit to work with x64 Edition. x64 Edition does an excellent job
    of running 32-bit applications, but only those applications that don't do
    system level drivers. So A-V, disk compression, disk imaging, etc., are all
    areas where we run into driver issues.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Servlan wrote:
    > I was led to believe x64 was backwards compatible - allowing you to run
    > 32bit applications???
    >
    > ...or is this another ploy for MS to get more money from people!
    >
    > I guess thats real reason.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    >> To run SQL Server 2000 I think you need to have the latest Service Pack
    >> installed, also as Charlie said, Exchange Server 2003 is not supported on
    >> x64, Exchange 12 will be.
    >>
    >> From the Exchange Blog:
    >> Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2000 Server depend on the Exchange Installable
    >> File System (ExIFS) driver, a 32-bit piece of code that runs in kernel
    >> mode. For Windows 2003 x64 Editions, all kernel-mode code must be native
    >> 64-bit.
    >> --
    >> Andre
    >> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    >>
    >> "Servlan Ltd" <> wrote in message
    >>> Dear all,
    >>>
    >>> Anyone had any problems running 2003.net x64 with Exchange 2003 and
    >>> SQL2000?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Paul.
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 13, 2005