    wndows 98 SE running. Is it possible to use the OS that came with the lap
    top?

    Thanks

    Kevin Wainhouse, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Kevin Wainhouse

    ady Guest

    "Kevin Wainhouse" <> wrote in message
    news:DrRdd.130844$...
    > Could someone please advise. I have recently bought a new lap top with
    > Windows XP
    > preloaded. Computer came with the XP discs and verification data etc.
    >
    > My question is that I would now like to load the XP os on to my desktop
    > which has
    > wndows 98 SE running. Is it possible to use the OS that came with the lap
    > top?
    >
    > Thanks

    No

    ady, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Kevin Wainhouse

    derek / nul Guest

    no

    derek / nul, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Kevin Wainhouse

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Yes.

    If you downloaded a crack which is illegal and I'm not suggesting you do
    that.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Kevin Wainhouse

    JTJersey Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:27:15 +0000, Kevin Wainhouse wrote:

    > Could someone please advise. I have recently bought a new lap top with
    > Windows XP
    > preloaded. Computer came with the XP discs and verification data etc.
    >
    > My question is that I would now like to load the XP os on to my desktop
    > which has
    > wndows 98 SE running. Is it possible to use the OS that came with the
    > lap top?
    >
    > Thanks

    Try calling Microsoft, otherwise you can't legally do that and it's
    unlikely the disks for your laptop would load on your PC anyway. They are
    normally set up to restore that particular laptop to it's original
    configuration with the original hardware and would just not load on a
    completely different piece of equipment.

    JTJersey, Oct 22, 2004
  6. Kevin Wainhouse

    Thor Guest

    > Could someone please advise. I have recently bought a new lap top with
    > Windows XP
    > preloaded. Computer came with the XP discs and verification data etc.
    >
    > My question is that I would now like to load the XP os on to my desktop
    > which has
    > wndows 98 SE running. Is it possible to use the OS that came with the lap
    > top?
    >
    > Thanks

    Nope. Your copy is most likely tied to the BIOS signature in your laptop.
    Attempts to install it on the other hardware will more than likely fail.

    Thor, Oct 22, 2004
  7. Kevin Wainhouse

    Wizard Guest

    No.

    Wizard, Oct 22, 2004
  8. Kevin Wainhouse

    Travis Guest

    Yes you could. Just install Windows XP onto the machine, but make sure the
    Windows 98 machine can handle Windows XP. And after installing Windows XP on
    the machine, don't register it, because it's already registered to the laptop!

    (Note: Check with other responses too, not just mine!)
    This piece of text tells you that Travis has sighned it.

    Travis, Nov 4, 2004