Windows xp ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jerald D Montgomery, May 13, 2005.

  1. Hi,
    I can't get into windows xp. My mbr is shot. How can i correct this?

    Jerald D Montgomery, May 13, 2005

  2. Jerald D Montgomery

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:31:04 -0400, Jerald D Montgomery <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I can't get into windows xp. My mbr is shot. How can i correct this?

    Boot from the Windows CD, and let setup begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Eventually, you will come to a screen with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows
    Installation using the Recovery console.

    The second option, to Repair Windows Installation using the Recovery console, is the one you
    want.

    HOW TO: Install the Windows Recovery Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216417

    Repair the Boot Sector using the Recovery console.
    <http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How to Repair the Boot Sector:>
    (Copy & paste the ENTIRE above line into the url box, including the colon :)

    To repair a damaged Master Boot Record, at the command prompt type FIXMBR and
    press Enter. Then answer "Y"

    Unk, May 13, 2005

  3. Unk wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:31:04 -0400, Jerald D Montgomery <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>I can't get into windows xp. My mbr is shot. How can i correct this?

    > Boot from the Windows CD, and let setup begin. You will see a reference
    > asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    > wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    > setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.
    >
    > Eventually, you will come to a screen with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows
    > Installation using the Recovery console.
    >
    > The second option, to Repair Windows Installation using the Recovery console, is the one you
    > want.
    >
    > HOW TO: Install the Windows Recovery Console
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216417
    >

    > Repair the Boot Sector using the Recovery console.
    > <http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How to Repair the Boot Sector:>
    > (Copy & paste the ENTIRE above line into the url box, including the colon :)
    >
    > To repair a damaged Master Boot Record, at the command prompt type FIXMBR and
    > press Enter. Then answer "Y"

    I forgot to say the setup files are on the disk.

    Jerald D Montgomery, May 13, 2005
  4. Jerald D Montgomery

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 21:18:30 -0400, Jerald D Montgomery <> wrote:

    >Unk wrote:
    >> On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:31:04 -0400, Jerald D Montgomery <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>I can't get into windows xp. My mbr is shot. How can i correct this?

    >> Boot from the Windows CD, and let setup begin. You will see a reference
    >> asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    >> wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    >> setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.
    >>
    >> Eventually, you will come to a screen with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows
    >> Installation using the Recovery console.
    >>
    >> The second option, to Repair Windows Installation using the Recovery console, is the one you
    >> want.
    >>
    >> HOW TO: Install the Windows Recovery Console
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216417
    >>

    >> Repair the Boot Sector using the Recovery console.
    >> <http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How to Repair the Boot Sector:>
    >> (Copy & paste the ENTIRE above line into the url box, including the colon :)
    >>
    >> To repair a damaged Master Boot Record, at the command prompt type FIXMBR and
    >> press Enter. Then answer "Y"
    >>

    >I forgot to say the setup files are on the disk.

    How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994

    Unk, May 13, 2005