    authorisation thing done and wonder if there will be a problem a second
    time.

    many thanks

    Jim, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Jim

    Harrison Guest

    If your original CD was an OEM version which came with a brand name
    computer, then it's very unlikely that you will be allowed to transfer
    that registration to another machine.

    Harrison, Oct 11, 2003

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > If your original CD was an OEM version which came with a brand name
    > computer, then it's very unlikely that you will be allowed to transfer
    > that registration to another machine.
    >
    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:19:44 +0000 (UTC), "Jim" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Thinking of buying a new computer without an operating system, is it
    >> possible to load windows xp from my own genuine programme cd? I
    >> only ask because when I loaded it on my current computer I had to
    >> get the authorisation thing done and wonder if there will be a
    >> problem a second time.
    >>
    >> many thanks

    No it was bought separately

    Jim, Oct 11, 2003
  4. Jim

    Jerry G. Guest

    The follow is what we were told by our dealer for this situation:

    You will have to call MS customer support and explain that you are
    transferring the operating system from one machine to the other. Normally
    they will allow this. You tell them that you bought a new computer, and the
    old one is going to have the system removed. They may ask for some personal
    information, and a fax copy of the proof of purchase of the operating system
    CD disk, and license.

    After your new machine logs on the net, and is activated, you will find that
    the next time your old machine logs on, it will act as if the operating
    system is not registered, and will eventually not function any more.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg

    Jerry G., Oct 11, 2003
  5. Jim

    Harrison Guest

    I've never used one of these and I have no idea if they work or not.
    It is not my intention to post links to software which helps people to
    steal things. However, there are those who believe that they shouldn't
    have to go through the hassle of re-registering or re-activating
    something they've already paid for, just because they changed hardware
    or re-installed software. There are also people who believe that big
    brother already his nose poked too deeply into their doings to begin
    with.
    http://astalavista.box.sk/cgi-bin/robot?srch=windows xp activation

    Use at your own will and your own risk.

    Harrison, Oct 11, 2003
  6. Jim

    Dan Guest

    My understanding is that with XP Pro, you can install on two machines and
    with XP Home just one machine.

    Dan, Oct 16, 2003
  7. Dan wrote:
    > My understanding is that with XP Pro, you can install on two machines
    > and with XP Home just one machine.

    Absolutely WRONG! It's ALWAYS been one machine one licence for operating
    systems - though now MS have a way of enforcing it.
    You are getting confused with Office. Some Office licences allow the user to
    install on one PC and one Laptop.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 16, 2003