Windows XP your password will expired in 14 days

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Thor, Jul 25, 2004.

  1. Thor

    Thor Guest

    "Bob Rabbone" <> wrote in message
    > I have recently installed windows XP in my computer after a few weeks I
    > would get a message on the computer every time I started it saying "Your
    > password will expire in 14 days do you want to change it now (Y or N)"
    > because I never had a password in for windows I did nothing about it then
    > after 14 days the computer just stopped working could not open windows at
    > all. So I reinstall windows XP again and had it validated now after a

    few
    > weeks I am getting the same message that your password will expired in 14
    > days I have a password in windows now but I think that is just for windows
    > to stop anybody opening windows Does anybody know why I keep getting this
    > message and what I can do to fix it I think after 14 days it might stop
    > working again thank you

    Right-click on "My Computer" then click "Manage"
    expand "Local Users and Groups"
    then click "Users"
    then right-click your
    account name, and click "Properties".

    put a check in "password never expires"

    Thor, Jul 25, 2004

  2. Thor

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Bob Rabbone" <> wrote in news:41039dee$1
    @funnel.arach.net.au:

    > to stop anybody opening windows Does anybody know why I keep getting this
    > message and what I can do to fix it I think after 14 days it might stop
    > working again thank you

    I can't understand how you would reinstall windows to fix that problem. It
    actually tells you when your password expires that it has expired and to
    pick a new one. If you would have simply typed in a new password you would
    never have had to reformat.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 25, 2004

  3. Thor

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > "Bob Rabbone" <> wrote in news:41039dee$1
    > @funnel.arach.net.au:
    >
    > > to stop anybody opening windows Does anybody know why I keep getting

    this
    > > message and what I can do to fix it I think after 14 days it might stop
    > > working again thank you
    > >

    > I can't understand how you would reinstall windows to fix that problem.

    It
    > actually tells you when your password expires that it has expired and to
    > pick a new one. If you would have simply typed in a new password you

    would
    > never have had to reformat.

    It was stupid of MS to toggle that feature on, a lot of folks got caught up
    in that.

    Bob Rabbone, Jul 26, 2004
  5. Thor

    Thor Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > > "Bob Rabbone" <> wrote in news:41039dee$1
    > > @funnel.arach.net.au:
    > >
    > > > to stop anybody opening windows Does anybody know why I keep getting

    > this
    > > > message and what I can do to fix it I think after 14 days it might

    stop
    > > > working again thank you
    > > >

    > > I can't understand how you would reinstall windows to fix that problem.

    > It
    > > actually tells you when your password expires that it has expired and to
    > > pick a new one. If you would have simply typed in a new password you

    > would
    > > never have had to reformat.

    > It was stupid of MS to toggle that feature on, a lot of folks got caught

    up
    > in that.

    What's weird is that I've never had that happen on any WinXP install. I've
    heard of it happening to others, but every time I've installed XP and set a
    password, it was never set to expire by default. At least I don't ever
    recall setting anything to keep it from expiring when I put in the password.

    Thor, Jul 26, 2004
  6. Thor

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Bob Rabbone" <> wrote in news:41039dee$1
    > > > @funnel.arach.net.au:

    > > this

    > stop
    > > > >

    > > > I can't understand how you would reinstall windows to fix that

    problem.
    > > It
    > > > actually tells you when your password expires that it has expired and

    > > > pick a new one. If you would have simply typed in a new password you

    > > would
    > > > never have had to reformat.

    > > It was stupid of MS to toggle that feature on, a lot of folks got caught

    > up
    > > in that.

    > What's weird is that I've never had that happen on any WinXP install. I've
    > heard of it happening to others, but every time I've installed XP and set

    > password, it was never set to expire by default. At least I don't ever
    > recall setting anything to keep it from expiring when I put in the

    password.

    It only happened to me once. My daughter's password expired on the machine I
    built for her, I had her setup as a power user. I went in on my admin
    account and toggled the never expire option. That's the only time I've seen
    it.

    Michael-NC, Jul 26, 2004
  7. Thor

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in

    > It only happened to me once. My daughter's password expired on the
    > machine I built for her, I had her setup as a power user. I went in on
    > my admin account and toggled the never expire option. That's the only
    > time I've seen it.

    Regardless, it isn't a mystery as to what to do. You log in and Windows
    tells you "Your password has expired" and gives you the prompt to pick a
    new one. If you are not intelligent enough to be able to read and
    comprehend that prompt, you should not be the person in charge of setting
    the OS up on the machine in the first place. IMHO, of course.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 26, 2004
  8. Thor

    Bob Rabbone Guest

    Thanks that was a great help

    Bob Rabbone, Jul 26, 2004
  9. Thor

    forumposter

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I had this same problem a while ago. I finally upgraded from win 98 to windows xp (*shame* *blush*). You should remove the password from your account to solve this problem. I found a very clear manual here:
    itexperience.net/2008/12/09/your-password-will-expire-in-14-days-do-you-want-to-change-it-now/
    but it's also finable on the microsoft site i guess...

    forumposter, Dec 9, 2008