    Does anyone have any URLs that did a test like this?

    Thanks in advance,
    Eric Sabo

    Sabo, Eric, Feb 2, 2008

  2. Sabo, Eric

    philo Guest

    "Sabo, Eric" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Which is better or which OS would have better peformance under the same
    > hardware (Memory less than 4 GB)?
    >
    > Does anyone have any URLs that did a test like this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Eric Sabo

    On the same machine XP_32 and XP_64 will not have any terribly noticable
    differences for "general" usage.
    the real question is what applications are you going to run.
    If the apps you use cannot take advantage of 64bit extentions...then you
    might as well just go with the 32bit version of XP...
    as you will have better driver support.

    Of course if you run apps that can take advantage of the 64bit CPU...then go
    for it.

    Just for an example..I built a machine that's used exclusively for Photoshop
    CS2.

    The machine dual boots XP_32 and XP_64. There is a nice improvement on the
    64bit side...
    and once that system was fully configured...the user never bothered to use
    XP_32 again.

    But if one were just going to use the machine for word processing and
    checking email (ie)
    you probably would see no difference

    philo, Feb 2, 2008

  3. No difference for most apps. Depends on what you are doing.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 2, 2008
  4. Sabo, Eric

    Sabo, Eric Guest

    Does anyone have a list of what apps will or can take advantage of the OS
    being 64-bit?

    Yes even Office 2007 is an 32-bit application, one would think Microsoft
    would have written this for 64-bit.

    Sabo, Eric, Feb 2, 2008
  5. Sabo, Eric

    philo Guest

    "Sabo, Eric" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have a list of what apps will or can take advantage of the OS
    > being 64-bit?
    >
    > Yes even Office 2007 is an 32-bit application, one would think Microsoft
    > would have written this for 64-bit.

    There are no 64bit apps that I know of...
    at best , just 32bit apps that can take advantage of 64 bit extentions...
    though I think Adobe might be working on a 64bit version of Photoshop...
    check their website

    philo, Feb 2, 2008
  6. >> Does anyone have a list of what apps will or can take advantage of the OS
    >> being 64-bit?
    >>
    >> Yes even Office 2007 is an 32-bit application, one would think Microsoft
    >> would have written this for 64-bit.
    >>

    > There are no 64bit apps that I know of...

    OMG.

    Hand in your geek badge. Now.

    Homer J. Simpson, Feb 2, 2008
  7. Sabo, Eric

    John Barnes Guest

    If you have driver support and your programs run on 64-bit, XP64 is a rock
    solid system. While I mostly use Vista64 now, it is no way as solid for me
    as XP64 was, worth every annoyance I went thru getting is set up and working
    the way I needed it to work.

    John Barnes, Feb 2, 2008
  8. There is no need for Office to be 64bit. The primary advantage for software
    is the support for more than 4GB of memory. Video and graphics processing
    software can certainly use a 64bit OS to great advantage but most software
    runs about the same as it did in 32bit.

    It is better to check the websites for software companies for the programs
    you want to use to see what they say the advantages of 64bit versions are.
    Don't forget that most of them have user forums where you can ask other
    users about these things.

    There are lots of lists of compatible software for Vista x64 on the internet
    (use google) but MS only maintains a hardware compatibility list. It would
    be a massive and thankless job to track software. I know of no list of
    software compiled specifically as 64-bit software, however. There just
    isn't any need for one since 32bit programs run natively in Vista x64
    anyway.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 2, 2008
  9. Sabo, Eric

    philo Guest

    >>> Does anyone have a list of what apps will or can take advantage of the
    >>> OS being 64-bit?
    >>>
    >>> Yes even Office 2007 is an 32-bit application, one would think Microsoft
    >>> would have written this for 64-bit.
    >>>

    >> There are no 64bit apps that I know of...

    > OMG.
    >
    > Hand in your geek badge. Now.

    I don't think I worded that too well...

    Yes. there are 64 bit apps...but since the 64bit machine I built was for
    someone else...
    & my own machines are 32 bit... I'd have no need to know what apps there are
    for 64 bit.

    eeer

    anyway...they are comming now to pick up my geek badge
    so no amount of blundering around can save me.

    It must have been a pretty serious error on my part as it looks like Bill
    Gates himself
    is now at the door to strip the badge away from me :(

    philo, Feb 2, 2008
  10. Yes there are.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 2, 2008
  11. Sabo, Eric

    S.SubZero Guest

    On Feb 2, 9:16 am, "philo" <> wrote:

    > There are no 64bit apps that I know of...
    > at best , just 32bit apps that can take advantage of 64 bit extentions...
    > though I think Adobe might be working on a 64bit version of Photoshop...
    > check their website

    Er..wow.

    64-bit browser: Firefox
    64-bit games: UT2004, Farcry, Crysis, etc.
    64-bit media player: Media Player Classic 64-bit
    64-bit console emulator: Dolphin
    64-bit binary newsreader: NewsBin
    64-bit virtualization software: Virtualbox, VMWare
    64-bit IRC client: TurboIRC (I have no idea why)

    That's' just a sample.

    It also doesn't include servery apps like Exchange Server 2007 which
    is only 64-bit.

    S.SubZero, Feb 3, 2008
  12. >> OMG.

    >> Hand in your geek badge. Now.
    >>

    > I don't think I worded that too well...
    >
    > Yes. there are 64 bit apps...but since the 64bit machine I built was for
    > someone else...
    > & my own machines are 32 bit... I'd have no need to know what apps there
    > are for 64 bit.
    >
    > eeer
    >
    > anyway...they are comming now to pick up my geek badge
    > so no amount of blundering around can save me.
    >
    > It must have been a pretty serious error on my part as it looks like Bill
    > Gates himself
    > is now at the door to strip the badge away from me :(

    :-D Just poor wording. All I wanted to point out was that anybody with
    Visual Studio (2005 or 2008) can write a 64-bit "Hello, World" program...

    Homer J. Simpson, Feb 3, 2008
  13. Sabo, Eric

    philo Guest

    > >> OMG.
    > >>
    > >> Hand in your geek badge. Now.
    > >>

    > > I don't think I worded that too well...
    > >
    > > Yes. there are 64 bit apps...but since the 64bit machine I built was for
    > > someone else...
    > > & my own machines are 32 bit... I'd have no need to know what apps there
    > > are for 64 bit.
    > >
    > > eeer
    > >
    > > anyway...they are comming now to pick up my geek badge
    > > so no amount of blundering around can save me.
    > >
    > > It must have been a pretty serious error on my part as it looks like

    Bill
    > > Gates himself
    > > is now at the door to strip the badge away from me :(

    > :-D Just poor wording. All I wanted to point out was that anybody with
    > Visual Studio (2005 or 2008) can write a 64-bit "Hello, World" program...

    "Hello World" >>>

    I thought you needed a 128 bit CPU for that one <G>

    philo, Feb 3, 2008
  14. >> :-D Just poor wording. All I wanted to point out was that anybody with
    >> Visual Studio (2005 or 2008) can write a 64-bit "Hello, World" program...

    > "Hello World" >>>
    >
    > I thought you needed a 128 bit CPU for that one <G>

    I'm sure that as we speak, somewhere on the Microsoft campus is a 128-bit
    Hello World program that barely runs because of the overhead...

    Homer J. Simpson, Feb 6, 2008
  15. "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message

    > There is no need for Office to be 64bit. The primary advantage for
    > software is the support for more than 4GB of memory. Video and graphics
    > processing software can certainly use a 64bit OS to great advantage but
    > most software runs about the same as it did in 32bit.

    If office has no need to be 64-bit, then how do we use 64-bit DLLs
    via VBA?

    6.0134700243160014d-154/),(/'x'/)); end

    James Van Buskirk, Feb 7, 2008
  16. Sabo, Eric