    Linksys says its WMP54G wireless network adapter is not compatible with XP
    x64.

    What's a good wireless network adapter that is compatible?

    Neil Damsky, Aug 4, 2009

  2. I believe v4.1 of the WMP54G uses the Ralink 2561/RT61 chip so the
    generic Ralink drivers from
    http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.html will work.

    If you have some other version the chip may be different. Find what it
    is and use the chip manufacturer's generic driver.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 4, 2009

  3. I seem to recall that there were finally drivers for the Aetheros based
    cards. If so, those would be my first choice. (Generally speaking, the
    802.11a/b/g cards were pretty much all Aetheros-based, so check sites like
    dlink.com for XP x64 drivers for their a/b/g cards.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 5, 2009
  4. Neil Damsky

    Neil Guest

    Thanks for your response; it helped put us on the right track.

    We spent some time tracking down DLink.com drivers for Aetheros based cards;
    none of them worked.

    After trying several drivers from RALinkTech.com we came across the RT61
    driver. After hacking RT61.inf accordingly (as described in
    http://trippedbreaker.livejournal.com/11852.html), we did get the Linksys
    card to work

    However, the question remains--should we decide to build another AMD Anthlon
    x64 based machine:

    Neil, Aug 12, 2009
  5. "Good" depends on what performance you are looking for.

    If you just want a basic wireless connection, check the card
    manufacturers' support sites for those with x64 XP drivers.

    Most cards are based on the wireless chip manufacturer's reference
    design, so unless you are looking for particular features any card with
    drivers for the OS you want to use will do. This is true whether you are
    using AMD, Intel or any other motherboard architecture.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 12, 2009