    SATA drive on its own?

    Thanks in advance,

    Francis

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmNpcw==?=, Jul 19, 2005

  2. You need SATA/RAID drivers if you want your hard disk to be recognized in
    Windows XP Professional x64. The installation of the drivers has to be done
    in text based setup port of x64.

    Great place for drivers:
    http://www.planetamd64.com
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 19, 2005

  3. Same problem, same resolution. You need a floppy disk and you need to press
    F6 to install the drivers during the install. So don't order that new box
    without a floppy drive.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 19, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmNpcw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Depends on what the chipset is on your motherboard and if you are going to
    use RAID. Nforce3 & 4 do not require SATA drivers to install on a SATA I
    drive. Many are having problems installing on a SATA II drive. VIA always
    requires drivers and as Charlie says, always buy a floppy for your computer.
    Installs and possibly BIOS updates depending on the motherboard. RAID
    requires drivers always.

    John Barnes, Jul 19, 2005
  5. Apparently this is not universally true anymore. I have an ASUS A8N SLI
    Deluxe board with nVidia chips and two SATA drives and did a clean install
    without having to provide SATA drivers. I wondered where the expected
    floppy was when I checked the mobo box and now I know that it is not needed.
    It appears some chip sets provide the SATA driver.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 19, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmNpcw==?=

    Ted Guest

    Depends on your motherboard.
    I have Intel D945PSN, installed 2 SATA WD drives with no drivers.
    Had to partition drives first.

    Ted, Jul 19, 2005
  7. Yes, if they are purely SATA and not also RAID, you may be OK. OTOH, at least
    some reports of speed issues with built in drivers. IAC, always a good idea
    to have any possible drivers in hand before you start. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 19, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmNpcw==?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Francis.

    As the others said, it depends on your mobo/chipset - and you didn't tell us
    that.

    On my year-old EPoX 8KDA3+ mobo with nForce3 chipset, I don't need drivers
    on a floppy. I'm booting from the first SATA connector, but not using RAID.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 20, 2005
  9. I personally have lost portions of partitions and Windows XP SP2
    installations (allocated space or my mbr) using a Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 with a
    Seagate 7200.8 Sata Drive (non-raid).

    I called Seagate after losing allocated space for the third time in 9 months
    (this time i lost 100gb of my second partion). Seagate recommended that I
    install the Nforce3 Raid drivers during setup. I have not followed through
    since I am waiting for XP 64, but I believe this having all related drivers
    in place will help since there are no physical problems with my drive.

    Hope this helps,

    John

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=, Jul 22, 2005